A growing collection

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: A growing collection

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

NigelS wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 4:29 pm I collect ceramics (well one would, living where I do!).
Tell me about it! My mother had a house full of the stuff! I was never really fond of it. She had a special fondness for those Beswick animal figurines. People bought them for her over decades, and she could always tell you who had given her what. Everything had its set place, and you learned to be very careful when dusting! When she died I gave a lot of her “special” pieces to friends and relatives who I knew would look after them and appreciate them. I even managed to return a few things to the original donors, a couple of whom didn’t even realise or remember they had given them to her in the first place! I kept a couple of pieces that I had always rather liked: a golden eagle and a cuckoo.

Everyone seemed to have a “china cabinet”, a glass fronted affair used for display. She had a complete tea and coffee service in there that was never used, and a complete dinner service that had been sitting in the cupboard in its boxes for about 30 years. My cousin had a tame dealer and managed to get a reasonable price for them. Mother always seemed to want to empty the china cabinet and wash everything when I was visiting – I dreaded it! :lol:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

My wife has her grandmother's china cabinet. I find it hard not to collect stuff. Unfortunately none of it seems to be Chinese vases worth small fortunes. I have a few proof coins that live in the cabinet though. I enjoy having them. :D
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

JAFO wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:48 pm
Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:43 am
JAFO wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:52 pm It's a bit like Dr Johnson's view. "Worth seeing, but not worth going to see.
I’m sure if it had existed at the time, Johnson would have written something like:

NATIONAL TRUST (n.) - an Organ which purchases disused country Parks from the impoverished Scions of formerly great Families; whereunto persons of the middling sort do hie them on Sundays in autokinetick Conveyances for the purpose of visiting the Water Closet straightway ‘pon arrival, thence repairing to th’adjunct Coffee-House to indulge in the ritual of SCONE-Worship.”
* I was quite taken by the idea in Pride and Prejudice that members of well-born families would drop by the houses of other well-born families without invitation. Nevertheless they took singular exception that a country parson (Mr Collins) would even think of speaking to such a person without a prior introduction. :D Jane Austen was quite informative on social mores of the late 18th/19th century.

** Taking tea and scones is the actual entry fee for we NT members, together with a jar of Lemon Curd from the shop. Other curds are also enjoyable.
Thread drift. Jane Austin you say?

A friend of ours used to live in Chawton House. He still works there occasionally as a volunteer guide.

National Trust - we cover our years membership by the parking fees we save in Lake District NT car parks.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

JAFO wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:56 pm
nbg wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:03 pm I have acquired a few OS maps over the years. Even with a GPS and online maps I still like to use a traditional OS or Harvey map and a compass. A selection from a drawer in the lounge, the ones for the Lake District and Skye are kept in the car.
1B8B86BF-A7E5-4671-8106-AE7D9B5EAFE7.jpeg
The only one that hasn’t been used to navigate is the vintage one.
42AE9479-3998-4F02-B085-29E70BF8F02A.png
Neil
We went to the Lake District last September, and are going again this year for the Indian summer. The hills can spoil the view a little, though. No 1 son has now become accustomed to the plunge pool at his gym, and is desirous of bathing in Windermere. most likely at Fell Foot

I don't think he's been to Grangeover Sands or Cartmel, so we hope to fit those in this time. We stopped off at Arnside on the way back South last year, and climbed Arnside Knott, which was very enjoyable :D
We have been swimming in both Derwentwater and Bassenthwaite Lake this year. However I don’t think that I would swim in Windermere.

We like Cartmel and have occasionally tacked on a couple of nights there after a holiday in Scotland or the Lakes.

The idea of the Lake District is the hills. The lakes are just something you look at from a fell top, or swim in afterwards.😀

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK