A growing collection

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Re: A growing collection

Post by exHowfener »

Another map lover here - have been ever since I was taught map reading at primary school using the 1" Ordnance Survey map for a camping trip in the Lake District. I think they are the perfect holiday souvenir.
Some time ago I remember seeing a bloke on TV who had come into a bit of money and he had treated himself to the entire set of Ordnance Survey mas in 1:50 000 and 1:25 000. He had fitted a room in his house with custom shelving. While I don't do "envy", I was impressed by that.
These users thanked the author exHowfener for the post (total 3):
missFjkbarnestikkathree
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

I find maps fascinating, too. Whilst not paper-based, I really like this feature offered by the National Museum of Scotland where you can compare two maps from different periods side by side, or even one blended on top of the other, to see how places have changed over the years. It includes lots of maps of the whole UK, not just Scotland, plus some international maps, too.

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by ... =ESRIWorld

Sent from my SM-X800 using Tapatalk

Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

monkeymax wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 1:23 pm I think you'll love this series of books called Prisoners of Geography by Tim Marshall then
That’s already on my list of books to acquire!
Drew
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

welshlad wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:38 pm I find maps fascinating, too. Whilst not paper-based, I really like this feature offered by the National Museum of Scotland where you can compare two maps from different periods side by side, or even one blended on top of the other, to see how places have changed over the years. It includes lots of maps of the whole UK, not just Scotland, plus some international maps, too.

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by ... =ESRIWorld

Sent from my SM-X800 using Tapatalk
Now that’s cool!
Drew
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

iain wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:27 am Another passing interest is guide books. I love reading these even if I’m not visiting the place. Quite often they have a nice summary of the history of the country as well. I tend to pick these up from charity shops, they are always older editions so not worth too much and I can pick them up for a few pounds each. Then of course there’s the box set of the Wainwrights.
Did someone say guide books? I’ve picked most of mine up in used book stores.

IMG_8719.jpeg

And here’s most of my healthy collection of atlases. There are a few smaller ones on the bookcase below the encyclopedias.

IMG_8718.jpeg
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post:
iain
Drew
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

We have a reasonable collection of Michelin green guides to France, indispensable when you visit an area, although they concentrate slightly on patrimoine, heritage.

They have 3 classes of stars accolades.
1* is interesting
2* is worth seeing
3* is worth a visit, and there's a lot fewer 3* than you would expect.

It's a bit like Dr Johnson's view. "Worth seeing, but not worth going to see.
These users thanked the author JAFO for the post:
jkbarnes
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

IMG_3835.jpeg

Are you ready for this?

IMG_3834.jpeg

It’s research, of course! :lol:

Every Christmas at the welcome meeting my good friend Yiannis gives everybody one of these bags packed with informative and free stuff. I tell him not to bother giving me the stuff but he insists. The free maps are not very good so I bought a couple of good roadmaps – problem is, I keep forgetting to put them in my suitcase so I have to buy another if I hire a car! :lol:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Amor Vincit Omnia

JAFO wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:52 pm It's a bit like Dr Johnson's view. "Worth seeing, but not worth going to see.
I’m sure if it had existed at the time, Johnson would have written something like:

NATIONAL TRUST (n.) - an Organ which purchases disused country Parks from the impoverished Scions of formerly great Families; whereunto persons of the middling sort do hie them on Sundays in autokinetick Conveyances for the purpose of visiting the Water Closet straightway ‘pon arrival, thence repairing to th’adjunct Coffee-House to indulge in the ritual of SCONE-Worship.”
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post (total 4):
Bahnstormer_vRSwelshladNigelSmissF
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
NigelS
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 2

Post by NigelS »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:43 am
JAFO wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:52 pm It's a bit like Dr Johnson's view. "Worth seeing, but not worth going to see.
NATIONAL TRUST (n.) - an Organ which purchases disused country Parks from the impoverished Scions of formerly great Families; whereunto persons of the middling sort do hie them on Sundays in autokinetick Conveyances for the purpose of visiting the Water Closet straightway ‘pon arrival, thence repairing to th’adjunct Coffee-House to indulge in the ritual of SCONE-Worship.”
Great post! This has to be read in the voice of the late, great Robbie Coltrane.
These users thanked the author NigelS for the post (total 2):
Amor Vincit Omniatikkathree
'Life is Art, and not otherwise' C.S.Lewis
Amor Vincit Omnia

@NigelS

I'm felicitous since during the course of the penultimate solar sojourn, I terminated my uninterrupted categorisation of the vocabulary of our post-Norman tongue.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
NigelS
Steve

nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

I have acquired a few OS maps over the years. Even with a GPS and online maps I still like to use a traditional OS or Harvey map and a compass. A selection from a drawer in the lounge, the ones for the Lake District and Skye are kept in the car.
1B8B86BF-A7E5-4671-8106-AE7D9B5EAFE7.jpeg
The only one that hasn’t been used to navigate is the vintage one.
42AE9479-3998-4F02-B085-29E70BF8F02A.png
Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:43 am
I’m sure if it had existed at the time, Johnson would have written something like:

* I was quite taken by the idea in Pride and Prejudice that members of well-born families would drop by the houses of other well-born families without invitation. Nevertheless they took singular exception that a country parson (Mr Collins) would even think of speaking to such a person without a prior introduction. :D Jane Austen was quite informative on social mores of the late 18th/19th century.

** Taking tea and scones is the actual entry fee for we NT members, together with a jar of Lemon Curd from the shop. Other curds are also enjoyable.
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

nbg wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:03 pm I have acquired a few OS maps over the years. Even with a GPS and online maps I still like to use a traditional OS or Harvey map and a compass. A selection from a drawer in the lounge, the ones for the Lake District and Skye are kept in the car.
Neil
We went to the Lake District last September, and are going again this year for the Indian summer. The hills can spoil the view a little, though. No 1 son has now become accustomed to the plunge pool at his gym, and is desirous of bathing in Windermere. most likely at Fell Foot

I don't think he's been to Grangeover Sands or Cartmel, so we hope to fit those in this time. We stopped off at Arnside on the way back South last year, and climbed Arnside Knott, which was very enjoyable :D
NigelS
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 2

Post by NigelS »

I collect ceramics (well one would, living where I do!). First up is 'Along the towpath', a 10" high stoneware Sgraffito decorated vase by Tracy Bentley, Burslem Pottery. A typical scene from the Potteries of the C19th. with a horse drawn narrowboat in front of a potbank (Stoke-on-Trent term for a pottery factory) with the coal fired bottle oven belching black smoke.

Burslem Pottery.jpg
These users thanked the author NigelS for the post:
Amor Vincit Omnia
'Life is Art, and not otherwise' C.S.Lewis
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

nbg wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:03 pm I have acquired a few OS maps over the years. Even with a GPS and online maps I still like to use a traditional OS or Harvey map and a compass. A selection from a drawer in the lounge, the ones for the Lake District and Skye are kept in the car.
Neil
I do the same thing. I carry maps from the White Mountain Guide whenever I am up in the hills. Batteries fail, electronics break, heck you can even lose them by accident! I always have a topo map and compass in my pack.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London