A Cycling Thread (Professional)

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

A Cycling Thread (Professional)

Post by JAFO »

Saturday 3rd, and Tour De France starts.

Probably on Channel 4, or ITV4, but every stage in full on Eurosport, and Discovery/GCN also.

This should be fantastic. Tadez Pogacar against Jonas Vingegaard. I thought Pogacar should have won last year, but instead of just marking Vingegaard, he was double teamed by Vingegaard and Primus Roglic, and wore himself out. No Roglic this year and it could go either way. I think I favour Pogacar.

Also Cav in his last year to win one more stage and become the winningest (that's a good American expression) stage winner ever. I think he'll get at least one.

On Netflix the Tour De France Unchained is a super documentary series about last year's race

I'm also looking forward to seeing the Greg Lemond film, The Last Rider.

I was going to put this in the non-curmudgeons corner, but I thought it deserved a separate thread. :D
These users thanked the author JAFO for the post (total 2):
jkbarnesthomcat00
Martin
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
CW-watches: 3

Re: A Cycling Thread (Professional)

Post by Martin »

Also looking forward to the Tour. Is there a greater sporting spectacle? Not in my view at least.
These users thanked the author Martin for the post (total 2):
JAFOjkbarnes
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Bucket List Item: see a stage of the Tour de France (preferably one passing through the Côte-d’Or or thereabouts so I can stay with, watch, and enjoy it with friends.)
Drew
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I'm not sure it's really worth it, Drew

2 years ago, I was staying where I am this week, and the tour of Britain came past. We waited about an hour, watching police motorbikes clear the road with a moving roadblock, and then the riders flashed past. And that was it.

Here's a picture I got of Julian Alaphilippe (reigning world champion at the time, the rainbow jersey), closely followed by Mark Cavendish.

We drove up the Alpe D'Huez in France, some months after the TdeF, which was memorable, but if you go to watch it, you are stuck on the mountain all day. Where do you go for a wee, even?

Anyway, here's the picture.
IMG_20210905_121452846_BURST005~3.jpg
These users thanked the author JAFO for the post:
jkbarnes
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

JAFO wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:26 pm I'm not sure it's really worth it, Drew
I hold no fantasies about the actual sighting of the peloton being anything amazing. Honestly, it’s about saying I saw it in the flesh, you know? It’s kinda like when I went to a Presidential inauguration. I couldn’t see jack, but it’s really something to say I’ve been to one. Also like being on the National Mall in DC for the July 4th fireworks. I’m glad I’ve experienced that, but I’ll never do it again.

And anyway, the highlight would be the festivities that imagine would be a big part of it if I was staying with my friend who’s a huge cyclist!
Drew
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

@JAFO, on a related note, my student teacher this past semester has an English boyfriend. They went over to visit family during the Coronation. That was actually part of the plan. They wanted to be in London with family for the Coronation just to be a part of the atmosphere. Same idea I think, for me and the Tour de France.

The funny thing is, I don’t even ride. If I got on a bike for an extended period of time, it would probably kill me! :lol:
Drew
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Yes, my brother in law was in Brittany and happened to be in whichever town it was for the start of a stage. He said there was a lot of colour, with all the publicity caravans and so on, although he didn't really see any part of the race. They have a slow rollout (depart fictif) of several miles to get out of the urban area before the stage starts for real (depart real)

When they found and reinterred King Richard Third the convoy came through the next village to us, so although it was just a coffin in a slow moving hearse/cortege the whole village pretty well turned out to watch the event, so I know what you mean about being there. :D
These users thanked the author JAFO for the post:
jkbarnes
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

JAFO wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:53 pm When they found and reinterred King Richard Third the convoy came through the next village to us, so although it was just a coffin in a slow moving hearse/cortege the whole village pretty well turned out to watch the event, so I know what you mean about being there. :D
Now that’s cool! I’d have turned out to see that for sure. In fact, I even watched the full reinterment on YoUTube. It wasn’t live, but I still watched it! It’s the history teacher in me.
Drew
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by iain »

Each year the Tour de France starts in a different country and in 2014 it was the UK, specifically Yorkshire.

The race came down our road and right past our house. I didn’t think I was that popular but almost everyone I’ve ever met descended on our house that day. The road was closed to traffic from 6am and it was a party atmosphere down the whole road with the village at the bottom of the hill drawing a massive crowd.

We had a big BBQ, beers, easy access to a toilet and could move the TV into the window so we could see when they would be approaching. I even borrowed some scaffolding and built a small grandstand we could stand on to watch the race go by.

The pre race caravan was ok and they threw a lot of freebies out to the crowds as they went by. The peloton took about 20 seconds to fly past and that was it. The TV footage even cut to adverts as the race went by our house so I couldn’t even watch it back.

Still it was a great day and I still have the commemorative yellow bike fixed to the wall.

IMG_0442.jpeg
These users thanked the author iain for the post (total 5):
jkbarnesmissFJAFOtikkathreeChris375
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

iain wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:20 pm Each year the Tour de France starts in a different country and in 2014 it was the UK, specifically Yorkshire.

The race came down our road and right past our house. I didn’t think I was that popular but almost everyone I’ve ever met descended on our house that day. The road was closed to traffic from 6am and it was a party atmosphere down the whole road with the village at the bottom of the hill drawing a massive crowd.

We had a big BBQ, beers, easy access to a toilet and could move the TV into the window so we could see when they would be approaching. I even borrowed some scaffolding and built a small grandstand we could stand on to watch the race go by.

The pre race caravan was ok and they threw a lot of freebies out to the crowds as they went by. The peloton took about 20 seconds to fly past and that was it. The TV footage even cut to adverts as the race went by our house so I couldn’t even watch it back.

Still it was a great day and I still have the commemorative yellow bike fixed to the wall.

IMG_0442.jpeg
That sounds brilliant, and it was most probably very similar for much of the route. When did they open your road again? It's an amazing exercise, with helicopters following the whole route as well as the camera bikes, and the many team cars. Then they criticise some (wealthier) teams for getting private helicopter assistance to get riders down from mountain top finishes, as it's not very green to do that. The alternative is for riders to ride back down the course to the bottom of the mountain for a more convenient pick up..
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

JAFO wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:43 pm When did they open your road again?
I can’t remember precise timings but I think the race came past at about 2pm and it was about 5-6pm that the road opened.

Our road is quite busy and is a bus route, so to have it fully closed off and all the kids colouring in pictures on the road in chalk isn’t something I’ll ever get to see again.
These users thanked the author iain for the post:
JAFO
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

Taken from BBC Cycling. please help me, WTF does this mean???? These bikes are bespoke beyond belief. what a load of poppycock your either fit enough or your not. to blame your bike before even getting on it is stupid and makes me dislike him even more since he got caught cheating.

"Britain's four-time Tour de France champion Chris Froome has been left out of Israel-Premier Tech's eight-man squad for next month's race.

Froome, 38, who has not won a race since 2018, had faced many mechanical issues in the build-up to the Tour.

"Physically I was ready, but unfortunately I was unable to show my full ability due to equipment issues," Froome told GCN."
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

It's going to take time for Chris Froome to admit to himself that he's not up to mark since his horrific accident in 2019.

Interestingly he was advised minutes beforehand not to take risks.

What a costly nose blow that was.

That said I'm looking forward to the Tour.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by TheBeatles »

I love watching the TDF and when I had access to both ITV and Eurosport, it was great switching over to avoid ad breaks.

Plus I like to avoid Rob Hatch with his unnecessary over pronunciation of foreign words (plus he’s selective on those too, to make it worse)

When he’s on, I usually mute or turn down to a whisper.

I read that there may be some safety changes for descents (prob not in time for this years race), in the light of the recent sad tragic death of Gino Mäder. Perhaps incorporating safety nets like downhill skiing.

The race is a great spectacle and I look forward to it each year. Even when in holiday we sometimes catch the end of a stage in our hotel room.

Thoroughly enjoyed the Netflix series and found a soft spot for the EF Education-EasyPost team as they do well on a tiny budget in comparison to the like of Ineos Grenadiers.
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Funnily enough, Egan Bernal, who won the tour the year after Geraint Thomas, also for Ineos, was wiped out when he hit a bus in a training accident and he too has taken several years to recover, as well as being many years younger than Chris.

Greg Lemond, who I mentioned in my first post, was nearly killed when his brother in law shot him in a hunting incident. That's partly what the film documentary is about.

Cyclists seem to be accident prone, but I guess that's what happens when you cycle down hill at 60mph, or you ride sprint finishes.

Eurosport film of the Tom Pidcock descent when winning on Alpe D'Huez last year. I'm sure he touched 100kph at one point.
https://youtu.be/IKib2B4JWMI

This is one of the very worst sprint crashes ever, in the tour of Poland. There's too many replays of the crash for comfort. One watch is enough.
https://youtu.be/6s8f98Frj78

Jakobsen's come back victories were featured in the Netflix documentary about last year's TdF.