A behavioural science experiment

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Re: A behavioural science experiment

Post by exHowfener »

I once went for several years without wearing a watch, to the extent that it was my "normal". I didn't have any strong feelings, but I became VERY good at knowing what time it was. As I cycled to work and worked in an office with flexi-time, I didn't really need particularly accurate timekeeping. Once you've established how long tasks take, then it gets easier to not "clock watch", if that makes sense.

Of course, I wear a watch every day now - because I like wearing watches - so make of that what you will.

I have to say though that I would have to wear a lot of socks for not wearing them to be a save much time - it's not like I iron them.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

I’ve had a watch since I was 8, and at least two watches since I was 10, so well over forty years that I’ve been a watch wearer as I’m now 55. In the last decade I’ve been working from home in t-shirt and jeans. I put on a watch daily. I may not always wear socks daily; I’m very rarely without a watch. Being without a watch might be freeing. I’ll let others experiment and report back :)
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

EARLY MORNING UPDATE

My experiment is off, I repeat off. I think I must have taken leave of my senses; I've only just acquired my first new watch in five years, and it's a grail piece too. I would like to unconditionally offer my apologies to the forum for being such a numpty. Please enjoy your Sunday...responsibly of course.

Des
These users thanked the author strapline for the post:
Stif
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
Stif
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by Stif »

I'm imagining you waking up in a cold sweat this morning Des, looking over at your watch and realising that you just had to wear it!

I get up first every morning in my house and start to get the cats and kids fed and ready for the day... I always quickly realise if my wrist is naked! I ended up watchless one morning in the summer and realised half way along a walk to a local shop when I went to glance at my wrist and I didn't feel comfortable until I was back home with one on again :lol:
These users thanked the author Stif for the post:
strapline
- Grant

"There is nothing so useless as doing efficiently, that which should not be done at all."

Developer of mobile watch app WristCheck - find out more at wristcheck.app
BobMunro
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 14

Post by BobMunro »

I am very fortunate to own four Rolex (all bought new at list price). I own them because they are bloody good watches and all have been special treats, either bought by myself or as gifts from my beautiful wife. I'm lucky to own other very fine watches as well.

Do I wear them very regularly, including at work? Hell, yes - watches are to be worn and enjoyed otherwise what's the point? Would I wear them wandering the streets in London or Manchester? No, unless in significant company and even then tucked neatly under my cuff. I do not care what other people think if they recognise any of my watches, other than some scrote who might fancy stealing then from me, and for that I take very special care to stay alert - perhaps a consequence of my south London streetwise upbringing. I recently went on a business trip to Bogota - an Apple watch accompanied me!

So in summary - don't take unnecessary risks, but enjoy your watches as they were intended to be enjoyed - on the wrist.
Time flies whether you're having fun or not. The choice is yours.
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by stefs »

BobMunro wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:12 am I am very fortunate to own four Rolex (all bought new at list price). I own them because they are bloody good watches and all have been special treats, either bought by myself or as gifts from my beautiful wife. I'm lucky to own other very fine watches as well.

Do I wear them very regularly, including at work? Hell, yes - watches are to be worn and enjoyed otherwise what's the point? Would I wear them wandering the streets in London or Manchester? No, unless in significant company and even then tucked neatly under my cuff. I do not care what other people think if they recognise any of my watches, other than some scrote who might fancy stealing then from me, and for that I take very special care to stay alert - perhaps a consequence of my south London streetwise upbringing. I recently went on a business trip to Bogota - an Apple watch accompanied me!

So in summary - don't take unnecessary risks, but enjoy your watches as they were intended to be enjoyed - on the wrist.
Wrong thread bob!
FS zenith Chronomaster Original and Bremont Solo or trade for 5 digit Sub.
Cheers now, Paul
BobMunro
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 14

Post by BobMunro »

stefs wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:45 am
BobMunro wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:12 am I am very fortunate to own four Rolex (all bought new at list price). I own them because they are bloody good watches and all have been special treats, either bought by myself or as gifts from my beautiful wife. I'm lucky to own other very fine watches as well.

Wrong thread bob!
Senior moment, Paul.

Now posted on the right thread!
Time flies whether you're having fun or not. The choice is yours.
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

Stif wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:38 am I'm imagining you waking up in a cold sweat this morning Des, looking over at your watch and realising that you just had to wear it!

I get up first every morning in my house and start to get the cats and kids fed and ready for the day... I always quickly realise if my wrist is naked! I ended up watchless one morning in the summer and realised half way along a walk to a local shop when I went to glance at my wrist and I didn't feel comfortable until I was back home with one on again :lol:
I really don't know what I was thinking of Grant. On top of having a new watch/play thing, a new strap arrived for another of my watches yesterday. It was rubber with a butterfly clasp, and the strap had to be cut to size in small increments so as not to remove too much at once. Once I'd got that done I realised that my experiment was out of the question. On top of that I realised that I'd pretty much wore a daily watch for the last forty years or so. Leaving one off was going to make me feel twitchy, I knew it without even trying.

Des
These users thanked the author strapline for the post:
Stif
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I've worn a watch most of my life. I feel there's something missing if I don't wear one. I can wear a watch on my right wrist. That feels so strange.
These users thanked the author JAFO for the post:
Stif