Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

Who has ever bought a ‘landmark birthday’ watch for themselves? For this I just mean specifically for the ages in the title.

Is it just another on the list of any excuse required to buy a watch?

Did you spend more money on it?

Did to buy a watch you always wanted or did you deliberately choose something new and different?

Tell me everything please! I have one more birthday before a ‘landmark’ birthday next year. :lol: :thumbup:
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Re: 20,30,40,50,60,70,80,90

Post by TheBeatles »

Never bought one for a birthday, but my wife has bought for landmark wedding anniversaries.

Specifically silver and ruby.
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jtc »

IMG_20190803_115803_Bokeh__01.jpg
Guilty as charged... my 40th birthday was the excuse to invest in an Omega Constellation Globemaster. It's not an every day watch, and is one of the dressier in my collection (which is largely divers!) but so pleased with it in the collection. It's one of the more interesting case backs too!
These users thanked the author jtc for the post (total 3):
missFROF68Stif
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Mainly an inheritance purchase/memento, but I bought my Speedy in March 2017 when I received the first payment from my mother’s estate. I had a milestone birthday in the August, so it served for that as well. And yes, it had been on my list for years.

As it happens, it was beyond anything I had (or have since) bought in terms of price, but I wouldn’t let that affect your thinking. It’s important to buy something you like, will associate fondly with your milestone every time you wear it, and will keep.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

I should really add that this was the watch I bought for my 40th birthday, and the one that started this whole damn obsession :lol:
CCC4232A-87E2-42AE-9249-00616C7F3F4A.jpeg
These users thanked the author missF for the post (total 3):
TonywalkerStifMiniMpi
Amor Vincit Omnia

^^^ I sometimes wonder why you let that one go, Lindsey. I always regarded it as your signature piece.
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

^^^
It was, for a long time! Meantime I guess I discovered all sorts of different watches, different types, different sizes, and different rotations! I’ve gone from being a completely one watch person to ‘I have a few special ones’ to ‘I buy and sell many because I want to explore them all and try them out’...

Kips medicine has obviously worked well over the years :irre:

I don’t regret selling the C11 at all. It’s a big watch on me - not perfect for daily wear - and I’m fine tuning my preferences around 38mm at the moment! I still think it’s sad to keep a watch just to look at if it doesn’t get worn.

Still, another ‘landmark’ birthday might be the time to replace a C11 - I’m thinking about it :D
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

I have done this twice now but both times I went early, let me explain.

The first time I was saving up for a watch for my 40th and put away a little each month to save for it over a few years. I’d researched, set my top budget and decided on a Tag Aquaracer. Then sadly my mum died about 9 months before I turned 40 and I had one of those “life’s too short” moments so went out and bought the watch there and then. For my actual 40th I didn’t therefore buy anything.

Next was my 50th which isn’t actually until the end of this year. Before then it’s also my wife’s 50th, our 20th anniversary, and our daughters 18th. I’d been given permission to buy a watch to celebrate but a sequence of events happened and I bought the watch a year early.

I did write all about it Here if you need a refresh.
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

iain wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:02 pm I did write all about it Here if you need a refresh.
That was a great story!

I’m guilty of the birthday purchase - a C65 AMGT LE for my 50th. The birthday was partly excuse and partly convenient timing - excuse to get it, convenient timing in getting it paid for and the details of the release as an LE fitting in with a birthday piece.

You can read about it here.
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post (total 2):
iaintikkathree
Drew
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

iain wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:02 pm I did write all about it Here if you need a refresh.
I remember, and was thinking about this when I started the thread. You did the ‘landmark birthday watch’ with such style - I could never match it! :D
These users thanked the author missF for the post:
iain
Amor Vincit Omnia

My present to myself for my 50th was a two weeks all-in singles villa holiday in Turkey. I spent the morning of my birthday doing a microlight flight with an Irish guy I had made friends with, had a liquid lunch, lay around sunbathing in the afternoon, and was taken to a variety of bars by the lovely people in the evening, where I got completely wasted on cocktails. :cheers: :booze:
Steve

missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:34 pm My present to myself for my 50th
You mean it doesn’t have to be a watch??? :o0:
Amor Vincit Omnia

You’ve obviously never had the watch/holiday coin toss dilemma, Lindsey.

OK, heads it’s a watch, tails it’s a holiday, here goes…oops, that didn’t spin before landing on heads…this time…nope, it caught the corner of the table and rolled onto heads under the sofa…third time lucky…ooh, tails, yay, we’re heading for the Med!

Actually that scenario is totally imaginary. When faced with that decision in the past it has never taken more than two seconds of serious thought, and I have always booked the holiday.
Steve

tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

Retirement watch gold Brellum double chronometer. Had I not marked my shift into the third age with this watch I'd have felt differently and probably flipped it by now. As it is it really is "here forever".
20221223_124155.jpg
These users thanked the author tikkathree for the post (total 2):
jkbarnesmissF
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20FLE
Some other brands
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:47 pm OK, heads it’s a watch, tails it’s a holiday, here goes…oops, that didn’t spin before landing on heads…this time…nope, it caught the corner of the table and rolled onto heads under the sofa…third time lucky…ooh, tails, yay, we’re heading for the Med!

You’re doing it wrong Steve. What you should be saying is “If it lands flat side down I’m doing X, if it lands on its edge I’m doing Y” that method has never let me down
These users thanked the author iain for the post (total 2):
Amor Vincit Omniajkbarnes
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.