C65 Aquitane my want want vintage diver

This area is for member only reviews of CW watches.
Links to reviews on Watch Review sites should be posted in the general "Reviews and Articles" forum.
Owners of Blogs or Watch Review sites should also post in the general "Reviews and Articles" forum.
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 13

Re: C65 Aquitane my want want vintage diver

Post by nbg »

rkovars wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:36 pm
jkbarnes wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:23 pm
rkovars wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:58 pm Can you elaborate on what you mean by the movement isn't up to date with the rest of the components?
I took this to mean he didn’t think it was equally as good looking as the rest of the watch, as not visually appealing enough to warrant an exhibition caseback.
I think that may be tight but didn’t want to speculate. My own thoughts aren’t always settled in the subject of open case backs either. Where I land at the moment is that what looks average to us (us being people more knowledgeable about watches) is brilliant to the vast majority of general consumers. Brilliant might be a string term but at least interesting or 'neat' to look at. Often I would prefer losing a mm on thickness over an exhibition case back pretty much every day but as I stated above I realize I am not really the market for that feature. Ideally it would be perfect if you could choose at checkout. Understanding that there would be supply/cost impacts of having the choice.
I agree with your thoughts as to why brands do it on nice watches, with standard movements.

My thoughts are settled. Solid back and reduce the height, no hesitation. I really can’t see the point of an open back on a normal movement, regardless of the finishing (which in reality won’t be that good anyway).

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
dipidyy

Post by dipidyy »

rkovars wrote:
dipidyy wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:40 pm
jkbarnes wrote: I took this to mean he didn’t think it was equally as good looking as the rest of the watch, as not visually appealing enough to warrant an exhibition caseback.
This exactly CW has done really good case, my dial is in good order the movement decoration is a bit lacking.

The tropic strap is really nice, a bit blu combination as my wife said. Alas bracelet arrived but the quick adjust doesn’t work so I wont fit it now.

But it’s good and even with 22mm it works due heavy tapering. With CW one can go wo bracelet as it doesnt really cost extra to obtain later one.

I had this for a while now and even as my sealander has still good amount of wrist time -
Aquitane has pulled ahead as my summer watch.
I’ll post more pics when I’ve working bracelet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for elaborating. I too am looking at replacing one of my C65 bracelets with the Aquitaine. What is going on with yours?
So the quick adjustment locking is faulty. Only locks fully extended or fully in. Weird as in the springs didnt push further enough. My C63 works like a charm and I do use it a lot and wouldn’t buy a bracelet without.

CW has done really good job with bracelets and straps considering the price point.
Friend owns bb58 and mocks the bracelet so for a bit over 1k (€) they’re killing it.
And thus we’ve done full circle on the movement. CW does everything else so well, I van live with the caseback, not a fan, but damn. 2 in for CW and so far into this, I’m really ditching a lot of other manufacturers between 1-3k due what kind of value for money these are.
Next one is Nomos though…different tools for different purposes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jkbarnes »

rkovars wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:36 pm Where I land at the moment is that what looks average to us (us being people more knowledgeable about watches) is brilliant to the vast majority of general consumers.
The best exhibition back has got the be the super compressor! Being able to see the spring is pretty cool.
Andrew
“Everything’s better when you feel guilty.” ~ Anthony Bourdain

C65 Trident Vintage
C65 AMGT LE

Find me on Instagram @jkbarnes
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by rkovars »

jkbarnes wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:49 am
rkovars wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:36 pm Where I land at the moment is that what looks average to us (us being people more knowledgeable about watches) is brilliant to the vast majority of general consumers.
The best exhibition back has got the be the super compressor! Being able to see the spring is pretty cool.
I agree on that one. There is more to look at than just the movement. They did a good job on the orange plate that is between the case back and spring.
These users thanked the author rkovars for the post (total 2):
jkbarnesstrapline
"The cure for anything is salt water - tears, sweat and the sea."
Isak Dinesen

Current CW = C65 Trident GMT, C65 Dartmouth, C60 Trident Ombré COSC LE, C65 Super Compressor
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

nbg wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:27 pm
rkovars wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:36 pm
jkbarnes wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:23 pm

I took this to mean he didn’t think it was equally as good looking as the rest of the watch, as not visually appealing enough to warrant an exhibition caseback.
I think that may be tight but didn’t want to speculate. My own thoughts aren’t always settled in the subject of open case backs either. Where I land at the moment is that what looks average to us (us being people more knowledgeable about watches) is brilliant to the vast majority of general consumers. Brilliant might be a string term but at least interesting or 'neat' to look at. Often I would prefer losing a mm on thickness over an exhibition case back pretty much every day but as I stated above I realize I am not really the market for that feature. Ideally it would be perfect if you could choose at checkout. Understanding that there would be supply/cost impacts of having the choice.
I agree with your thoughts as to why brands do it on nice watches, with standard movements.

My thoughts are settled. Solid back and reduce the height, no hesitation. I really can’t see the point of an open back on a normal movement, regardless of the finishing (which in reality won’t be that good anyway).

Neil
I like a display caseback, Neil, even with a fairly stock movement with modest decoration. They're still charming no matter; it's nice to see the mechanical heart of a watch. Solid casebacks? no problem, but it's a blank canvas so a well etched logo or piece of detailing is appreciated. Are you listening Rolex and Tudor.

Des
Tested in five positions with no back play whatsoever.