C65 Dune, One Month In

This area is for member only reviews of CW watches.
Links to reviews on Watch Review sites should be posted in the general "Reviews and Articles" forum.
Owners of Blogs or Watch Review sites should also post in the general "Reviews and Articles" forum.
Asiafish
CW-watches: 1

C65 Dune, One Month In

Post by Asiafish »

I’ve had my C65 Dune for a bit over one month now and finally feel that I can make some comments on it beyond initial impressions.

First off, the case size and shape are about perfect for what I see as a dressy field watch. I love the polished line that runs from the lug over the mid-case and down the other lug, as well as the polished surfaces on the smooth bezel. While most of the case is matte finished, the polished accents, combined with the polished indices and logo on the dial really elevate the watch to if not an actual dress watch, then at least a quite excellent dress casual. I work in a mostly dress casual environment so this is an excellent daily wear type watch for me. The fact that it also has better than average water resistance and strong lume also make it a great choice for travel (the illusive go-anywhere, do-anything watch). If anything, I’d say it is about the same combination of sporty, rugged and dressy as something like a Rolex Explorer or Tudor Black Bay.

The domed sapphire crystal is a thing of beauty. I love how it distorts at the edges, and while tall, still slides easily under a dress shirt cuff. This really is a standout design element.

The white sand dial is also a beautiful choice, at least with short sleeves or a white or earth-tone shirt. I wasn’t thinking or paying attention one day when I wore it to work with a white dress shirt with a subtle purple checkerboard pattern and once I got to the office and into the light I found the combination a bit garish. A white, black or even blue dial would have been fine, but the sand color was just enough off to clash. That said, it looks great with the vast majority of my wardrobe and really brightens up my look most days that I wear it.

Another area I’m truly delighted with is the accuracy. This is NOT the COSC version of the SW200, but my watch averages about -2 seconds per day, which is exceptional for a mechanical watch, especially at this price level. It is also very smooth, with no lash between the crown action and the hands and very crisp detent at each crown position. Speaking of the crown, it screws in and out smoothly, is large enough to be comfortable and easy to manipulate, but small enough to keep the watch feeling dressy.

The bracelet is a bit of a mixed bag. It is VERY easy to adjust and has a very comfortable taper, as well as styling that really integrates well with the case. The inclusion of both full and short (screw in) links makes it very easy to find just the right size, while the toolless micro-adjust make it easy to let it out a bit if my wrist swells in the heat, which is a common problem with bracelets for me. My only complaints are that the edges are a bit sharp both on the top and bottom and the clasp is quite a bit longer than I’d like, to the point I’d happily give up about 50% of the microadjust range if I could also shorten the clasp a corresponding amount. I am VERY spoiled by the bracelet on my Rolex Milgauss which is as smooth as butter even at the edges, but then again that watch is at least three tiers higher in price bracket.

The only stylistic quibbles for me are the trident counterweight on the second hand and the abbreviated lume pip at 6:00. Personally I dislike date wheels on a watch and would have bought this sooner if it lacked one completely (I was constantly back and forth with the similar Sandhurst), and I do appreciate that this one is nicely color matched, but the lume pip still could have been larger. Make it a bit wider and even a half milimeter taller (or lower to clear the date window) so that at least it would have the same width as the widest points of the lume pips at 3:00 and 9:00 would have brought more balance. These are very small nits on a watch that I really like the look and feel of.

My only regret in buying this watch is that I didn’t get the Sandhurst instead, though I’m positive had I bought the Sandhurst, I’d regret not getting the Dune instead, especially as that white sand colored dial really called to me and is even better in person. I guess the only answer is to save my pennies and add the Sandhurst to my collection. I usually favor field watches anyway, so that’s not a bad thing. I saw the sale offer on a “nearly new” Sandhurst this week in the morning while getting dressed. I planned to buy it as soon as I got to work, but sadly someone beat me to it.
IMG_4712.jpeg
3223E458-5C20-4B8D-82F8-1E695A303E05.jpeg
IMG_4714.jpeg
IMG_4726.jpeg
These users thanked the author Asiafish for the post (total 3):
De.medichiAmor Vincit OmniaKip
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Re: C65 Dune, One Month In

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Thanks for an excellent write up and review. :thumbup: :clap:

Clearly a very personal viewpoint on the C65 Dune, but arguably all the better for being that (than some generically written, blogger's review).

I take your point on the clipped lume pip / indices @ 6, due to the date window, which is something I'd not really thought of; just goes to show we all, often, have different priorities in the what pleases us in the design and style of a watch.

As to your dilemma over the C65 Sandhurst? My vote goes for the Bronze version, which I have, but being bronze vs. steel adds a differentiating factor, along with numerals vs. blobs and no date window, between the Sandhurst and the Dune.

In the meantime, enjoy your Dune which will likely be right at home in the Californian sunshine.

Guy

PS> A couple of gratuitous pics of my Bronze Sandhurst and, before you ask; yes, I do get a green wrist from the all bronze bracelet, but I'm anticipating this will stop once it has a deeper layer of patina on it.

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Asiafish

Post by Asiafish »

So far I haven’t really had the desire to own a bronze watch. When shiny it’s just more bling than I want, and when dull I’d love the look, but likely rarely wear it. I’ve had a few DLC black and a DLC gold watch before and they always spent more time in the box than other similar watches. I guess I just prefer steel.

The Sandhurst really does solve my only complaints about the Dune, specifically the second hand and the presence of a date wheel. I went for the Dune over the Sandhurst mostly because my Vertex M100 and Praesidus A-11 Type 44 already cover my mid-century army watch bases, though I still keep looking at the Sandhurst online and most likely will pick one up sooner than later.

At least I can save a bit and skip the bracelet as the one on my Dune is the exact same model.

Vertex M100
8520DBA1-602E-492E-94C9-B9D5944E6498.jpeg
Praesidus A-11 Type 44
FullSizeRender.jpeg
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

Thanks - that’s a great review, and all the more relevant to other people considering the watch because you’re a month in. And you don’t wear it while exploring sand dunes, you wear it to work and in and around your life :D
These users thanked the author missF for the post (total 2):
Amor Vincit OmniaAsiafish
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

missF wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:23 am And you don’t wear it while exploring sand dunes, you wear it to work and in and around your life :D
An important consideration. A watch that can look perfect swanning around some posh resort in pale chinos and a linen shirt needs to be just as good going round the supermarket on a rainy day in November, or a hassled Monday morning at work.

@Asiafish Thanks for an excellent, balanced and thoughtful review. :D
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
Asiafish
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Asiafish

Post by Asiafish »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:33 am
missF wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:23 am And you don’t wear it while exploring sand dunes, you wear it to work and in and around your life :D
An important consideration. A watch that can look perfect swanning around some posh resort in pale chinos and a linen shirt needs to be just as good going round the supermarket on a rainy day in November, or a hassled Monday morning at work.

I saw “Linguist” in your profile and am curious which languages?

I was a Korean linguist in the military (still highly conversational), and also speak Spanish (quite fluently), Japanese (still conversational, but was much better 35-years-ago) and French (Can still understand a bit, but after 43 years of no practice it is very difficult to speak.
These users thanked the author Asiafish for the post:
Amor Vincit Omnia
Amor Vincit Omnia

Asiafish wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:51 pm I saw “Linguist” in your profile and am curious which languages?
I taught French, Spanish and Latin for 40 years. Now retired (mainly) but going back for a few hours a week next year to teach some Spanish as maternity cover.

French fluent, Spanish fairly fluent but out of practice, Italian reasonably strong, Portuguese less so, bad German, appalling Dutch and holiday Greek.
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

With regard to linguists, somehow this American chap xiaomanyc cropped up on my notifications, and I've been watching some of his videos.

He learned Chinese in Beijing, and he has a Chinese wife, but he speaks Cantonese, mandarin, and a couple of other Chinese dialects. I then saw him talking Somali, Igbo, Yoruba, and even a native American language. It's just amazing watching him in action

I've not watched this one, but it says 23 languages in 10 minutes.:D

https://youtu.be/PZlyW80uvwk

(Edit. That wasn't quite what I thought. I expected xiaomanyc to be doing hs stuff, rather than discussing the other chap's skills. )
Amor Vincit Omnia

I’ve seen a few of these videos and I agree that they appear quite remarkable. One thing worth remembering is that a lot of skills and knowledge are transferable between languages, in much the same way that a proficient musician will find further instruments easier than a rookie would, or a talented sports person can adapt themselves to different sports. Most languages belong to groups or families and within any family there is a certain amount of mutual intelligibility.

My studies were centred on the Romance languages based on Latin; because I already spoke French, Spanish and Italian I found basic Portuguese reasonably easy to acquire. If your mother tongue is English and you know a bit of German, Dutch kind of makes sense. Even Greek falls into place a bit more easily when you realise that we have so many words in English that come from Greek. I tried to learn a bit of Arabic, but because it’s a totally different family there was nothing I could use in the way of hooks, so I found it really hard. I couldn’t cope with the writing system either.

The Dutch, of course, are some of the best linguists because their language is spoken in so few places outside of the Netherlands and Belgium. They have to speak other languages. English speakers tend to have the opposite problem; we are lazy because our language is one of the dominant ones in global terms. Interestingly, the Dutch understand German much better than the Germans understand Dutch, and the Portuguese understand Spanish much better than the Spanish understand Portuguese!

It’s a fascinating area of study.
Steve

Asiafish

Post by Asiafish »

I had a similar experience. I learned French as a child (I lived in Montreal between ages 8 and 14), then learned Japanese in high school, which was completely new and foreign to me, but much easier than it was for my monolingual classmates.

After high school I learned Korean in the military, which I found very easy due to significant similarities with Japanese, and then I learned Spanish in the Border Patrol, which again was very easy due to how close it is to French (which I’d mostly forgotten by that point).

I speak Korean most days at home as my wife of 30 years is Korean and my daughter has native fluency in both languages. My Spanish is also very strong as I used it every day professionally for 16 years, and while no longer in that profession, I still get to use it a lot at work. My French is almost completely gone, though a two week trip to France in 2019 did restore some of it, albeit briefly. My Japanese has also suffered as its been 30 years since I studied it and while I visit Japan every few years, its not enough to maintain the fluency I had when I was just out of school.
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:33 am

Or indeed, some supermarket on a rainy November day Or a hassled monday at work in some posh resort wearing pale chinos and linen shirt?

I recently bought some suede "desert boots" to complete my CW wearer outfit! :lol:
These users thanked the author tikkathree for the post:
De.medichi
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands