Wow, it's big !

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
karma mechanic
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Wow, it's big !

Post by karma mechanic »

My C4 Peregrine in steel and tan arrived today. Very nice packaging, and the quality is outstanding.

However... it is a lot bigger than I was expecting !

Here's what I've been wearing for 10 years or so:

and here's the new one (this pic appears to be from slightly further away judging by the wrist thickness shown):

Although the face is only slightly wider I think the impression of greater size comes mainly from the extra thickness and the way the bezel is proud rather than bevelled.. I'm on the smallest-but-one strap setting.

I'm also having a bit of trouble getting used to the face in terms of readability. In some lighting the hands get pretty much lost against the face, not helped by the visual distraction of the black hand being so clear. In other sharper lighting the hands are very clear, it seems to depend on whether the edges of the hands produce a dark reflection or not - just turning the watch in soft light there are positions where the contrast between the face and hands almost disappears. Visually there is a lot more to decode on the face.

All told I'm very impressed and I think it is a great watch, but I can't help feeling that for telling the time easily it isn't quite as good as its predecessor...

I'm already looking at the C5 Aviator pictures and thinking how simple and clear it is !
hantsman
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Re: Wow, it's big !

Post by hantsman »

Thats why I like a black face, also im now 46 and my eye sight is going slighty :( if you think you have made a mistake stop wearing it, and give CW a call!
flashman
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 3

Post by flashman »

This is why military watches are usually dark face, light hands, easily readable numerals etc. I still think your C4 looks the business though. Very smart watch. :)
karma mechanic
Senior
Senior

Post by karma mechanic »

hantsman wrote:Thats why I like a black face, also im now 46 and my eye sight is going slighty :( if you think you have made a mistake stop wearing it, and give CW a call!
I didn't like the black face C4's at all, or to be more precise it was the three sub-dials that I didn't like the look of - the main SKT picture on the website doesn't look like the hands are any clearer to me, at least where the hands cross the sub-dials.

I'm wondering if the problem is that the alarm hand is by far the boldest hand in many types of lighting, yet doesn't need to be looked at as part of telling the time ! My eye/brain keeps trying to read the time from it because it stands out more than the minute and hour hands. More training for eye/brain I think...
Daz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Daz »

8)
karma mechanic
Senior
Senior

Post by karma mechanic »

That's a fantastic picture Daz. I'll have to get the tripod out !

Here's a very crude revision of my original shot with the alarm hand obliterated (and missing much of the CW logo too :))

Now I find that easier to tell the time with, so maybe the alarm hand is the distraction. I wasn't planning on using it anyway. Special edition with no alarm hand ? :lol:
Mikegt
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikegt »

My C3GWT arrived yesterday, very impressed so much so that I ordered a C4IP2; the only problem is as you stated the strap is a little short, should have ordered the longer strap. Next time! perhaps the automatic.
karma mechanic
Senior
Senior

Post by karma mechanic »

Mikegt wrote:My C3GWT arrived yesterday, very impressed so much so that I ordered a C4IP2; the only problem is as you stated the strap is a little short, should have ordered the longer strap. Next time! perhaps the automatic.

My C4 strap isn't short... I'm on the innermost-but-one holes, so there is a load of strap left over. I think that's why it looks and feels so big on my wrist - my wrist is quite small !

I'm getting used to it, and by leaving the alarm hand at the zero position it is partly obscured by the parked sweep seconds hand, so that helps to de-clutter the face in terms of readability. In most daytime lighting I'm finding the contrast to be ok.

Incidentally, I was in Brighton today and I passed the 'Watches of Switzerland' shop. A little bit of window shopping told me two things: the watch I've got is better looking (IMHO) than the various Tags, Breitlings and Rolexes and at least as good looking as the IWC ones, and it is clear that the price tag on the Peregrine I've got is just plain ridiculous (in a nice way !).

I'm feeling a strong pull from the C5 Aviator in terms of aesthetics and readability, but I'd prefer it if it was a quartz (yes I know that's heretical on here and I apologise if it upsets anyone, but I just want one that looks right and is accurate, I'm not going to be looking in the back to see the whirlygigs going round !)
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

What about the C1 or the C3? Do they have any appeal to you? Both are quartz. both can be used for dress or casual. Just depends how you strap them.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
karma mechanic
Senior
Senior

Post by karma mechanic »

Kip wrote:What about the C1 or the C3? Do they have any appeal to you? Both are quartz. both can be used for dress or casual. Just depends how you strap them.
The C1 and C3 don't actually appeal to me, too 'formal' looking for me and I find their overall look sort of 'forgettable'. Perhaps that's the wrong word, I mean that I don't give them a second glance when looking at the gallery pictures. 'Dress' doesn't really come into it, I'm not sure whether I've still got a tie...

The C4 appealed (lots of fine detail, technical markings, overall appearance) although only in the leather strap versions, the steel strap just looked too heavy for me. The leather softens the look. I do like the look of my C4 apart from it being a bit bigger and shinier than expected. However, I like the look of the C5 Aviator even more, I think it is the simpler and less-shiny nature of it. A case of less is more perhaps, it has the aviation cues and a certain slightly dated charm while still looking 'functional' rather than 'glitzy'. A less-shiny C4 (perhaps a satin bezel) would probably appeal to me even more than my current C4SST, but a quartz-powered C5 Aviator with the dull case and a tan leather strap (especially one with rivets as proposed for the C8) would be the most perfect of all... !
leebman
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Post by leebman »

quartz powered aviator ? :megaeek:
karma mechanic
Senior
Senior

Post by karma mechanic »

leebman wrote:quartz powered aviator ? :megaeek:
Sorry :veg:
karma mechanic
Senior
Senior

Post by karma mechanic »

Aha ! I just saw the C4 Red pictures. No shiny bits ! Perfect !

Unfortunately it has a red face, so not really my cup of tea. If it was truly mix'n'match I'd be very interested in seeing the C4SST face with the lovely sandblasted casing and bezel from the Red and the existing SST leather strap.

I'm beginning to think that I don't know what I want... :)