Without a tourbillon, gravity will inevitably effect the accurcacy of a mechanical watch

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
apologist

Without a tourbillon, gravity will inevitably effect the accurcacy of a mechanical watch

Post by apologist »

After a new mechanical watch “settles in” (which may take several days), it’s important to find the optimum resting position for the watch when off the wrist in order to offset any inevitable deviation in accuracy. Without a tourbillon, gravity will inevitably affect the accuracy of a mechanical watch. After settling in, my non-COSC C60 Sapphire was running +5 secs/day. Experimenting with different resting positions has brought the deviation down to approx .5s/day. (I think another 2 weeks of experimenting with resting positions will further increase the accuracy.) This is considerably better than my COSC Submariner and METAS Master Chronometer 'co-axial Seasmaster & Speedmaster, and second only to the Grand Seiko Spring Drive which uses a quartz crystal to control the main spring. The C60 is a very impressive watch, especially considering the price. By far, it is certainly the best value in terms of performance/dollar of all my watches. :D
maclink
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 4

Re: Without a tourbillon, gravity will inevitably effect the accurcacy of a mechanical watch

Post by maclink »

You've been fortunate to be landed with a movement with good adjustment out of the factory. This isn't always the case. My CW Sealander 36mm is quite off in accuracy, though within spec, i.e., +15s/day. The best position which is dial up is 8 s/d. The worst is +24 s/d. OTOH, my COSC watches with the same movement are very accurate indeed. My other non-COSC has an SW330-2 movement and it's quite accurate as well - +5s/d.

But I know what you mean. I haven't fiddled much with optimum positions when off the wrist to offset accuracy. I used to be into accuracy, but don't worry too much about it these days. However, when a minute or more is gained in a few days, I notice. For this reason, the Sealander 36mm is not a daily wear.
apologist

Re: Without a tourbillon, gravity will inevitably effect the accurcacy of a mechanical watch

Post by apologist »

"You've been fortunate to be landed with a movement with good adjustment out of the factory.”

Yeah, I recognize that.
rsg

Post by rsg »

maclink wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:49 pm The worst is +24 s/d.
I this is one of the three 'adjusted' [1] positions you have a case for repair under warranty.

Dial up, crown down and 12 down.
maclink
Senior
Senior

Post by maclink »

rsg wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:58 pm
maclink wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:49 pm The worst is +24 s/d.
I this is one of the three 'adjusted' [1] positions you have a case for repair under warranty.

Dial up, crown down and 12 down.
Chucks ... it's crown to right.
NoMinuteGone
CW-watches: 2

Post by NoMinuteGone »

Speaking of which, an in-house tourbillon movement would make a great followup to the Bel Canto, wouldn't it? 8)
apologist

Post by apologist »

NoMinuteGone wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:41 am Speaking of which, an in-house tourbillon movement would make a great followup to the Bel Canto, wouldn't it? 8)
Got my vote :clap:
These users thanked the author apologist for the post:
NoMinuteGone
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

apologist wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:41 pm
NoMinuteGone wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:41 am Speaking of which, an in-house tourbillon movement would make a great followup to the Bel Canto, wouldn't it? 8)
Got my vote :clap:
As long as they put it in the right watch, but I think that development might be some little time in coming.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Repeat after me… :)

“a tourbillon is an expensive solution to a problem that doesn’t really exist. Delusional to think otherwise. A very well regulated high quality non tourbillon will be as accurate, or more accurate than a typical tourbillon”. :lol:

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

nbg wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:34 pm Repeat after me… :)

“a tourbillon is an expensive solution to a problem that doesn’t really exist. Delusional to think otherwise. A very well regulated high quality non tourbillon will be as accurate, or more accurate than a typical tourbillon”. :lol:

Neil
Now write it out a hundred times.

Yes Centurion.

And if it’s not finished by morning I’ll… :silent:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
apologist

Post by apologist »

nbg wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:34 pm Repeat after me… :)

Neil
But a tourbillon is a complicated marvel and hypnotic piece of engineering.

Last edited by Amor Vincit Omnia on Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: YouTube video embedded
These users thanked the author apologist for the post (total 2):
JAFONoMinuteGone
apologist

Post by apologist »

Poljot offers a cool tourbillon that doesn’t require a second mortgage:

Last edited by Amor Vincit Omnia on Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: YouTube video embedded
Paul Drawmer
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 7

Post by Paul Drawmer »

apologist wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:05 pm Poljot offers a cool tourbillon that doesn’t require a second mortgage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9KaPyVqtEY
Now That is something I'd have to be paid to wear.
These users thanked the author Paul Drawmer for the post:
welshlad
There's always time for one more.
apologist

Post by apologist »

The Russians (Poljot) have always made big watches. But their quality is recognized as quite good. While they have retailers in Europe and Asia, there are none in North America unfortunately. I had one of their pocket watches years ago; it was quite well made.