Winding The Automatics.......

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Alan_Ryland

Winding The Automatics.......

Post by Alan_Ryland »

Hi Everyone.
I own 3 different CW watches one of which is the C5 Malvern Auto. Now this uses ETA movement 2824-2 (or similar) which is the same as in Tissot, and several other brands. This has a manual wind facility to start the watch off, after being sat. I think Tissot called it manumatic movement-(or omega).
Does anyone think that if the watched was wound as a normal manual watch using the crown/button will do any damage to the watch on a daily bases? I know I should buy a watch winder.
downer
CW-watches: 4

Re: Winding The Automatics.......

Post by downer »

Hi
I don't have a winder and I have a few automatic ETA2824's. When I want to wear one of them, I just give it a couple of gentle shakes and a few winds and that's it. I'm sure this is how the watch is designed to be used, and therefore, it will not damage it.

Don't see why you would need to wind it every day though, especially if you are wearing it? If you are not wearing it, it's ok to let it stop..
Richard
Uncle Bill
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12
LE-two: yes
Location: Mid-Sussex, just North of South Downs National Park

Post by Uncle Bill »

I agree exactly; if you are not using it then let it stop. There seems little point in winding it up just to keep it running, but it won't hurt it. If you do not know - you cannot wind it up until it stops winding; an automatic has a clutch which disengages when fully wound. When you get used to it you can hear the clutch slip. They are pretty bullet proof, so enjoy...UB
Let us hope all politicians are masochists, that they may truly enjoy our fondest wishes...
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Usually 3-6 winds is plenty for a jump start and around 40 winds will get you near or at a full wind.

No harm done in letting the watch stop between wearings.

Personnally I wind all my mechanicals, vintage and new, about once a month just to keep things lubricated.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Loddonite
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5
LE-three: yes

Post by Loddonite »

Hello Alan,
You can always give a 2824-2 (or similar) a few winds when you put it on, prescriptions for the number of turns vary with who is giving the advice, natural arm movement will do the rest.
Orient and Seiko have automatic movements that cannot be hand wound. People often say that you just give them a little shake, but I paid good money for mine so I'm a little gentler than "shake". This method will get a 2824-2 moving too.
It may be better to try to avoid winding a watch with a screw down crown to avoid the wear on (or the risk of damage to) the threads, though these can be repaired/replaced.
A winder is a useful thing to have if your automatic has many complications and would be a pain to re-set after it has run down. I'm thinking of a moonphase or perpetual date here rather than simply a date or day/date.
Keeping the watch fully wound will mean the watch runs consistently at one speed. When not fully wound watches run faster. (I can't be faffed so set them to run slightly slow - they catch up on the bedside table overnight).
Regular winding should do no damage, the mechanism has a clutch to prevent overwinding.
Dom
Nothing's forgotten, nothing's ever forgotten.
shrink
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by shrink »

i only wind my watch when ive been wearing another for a couple of days, and dont want the hassle of having to reset the date /time etc.

Dont do it often though as most days im wearing my aviator, and the LIDL watch just winds down and sits for weeks on end
Who watches the watch-men
Alan_Ryland

Post by Alan_Ryland »

Hi all
Thank you for the replies. I like most here seem to have several watches, and it was only while trying to get parts for a longines Cal 291 (auto gears) that I was told not to use the winder, on a daily basis. even though I have been doing so for 2yrs or more. The CW watch I would not wear to work as in a construction area, I would hate to get it damaged, strangely I wear a seiko auto as mentioned, that has no wind facility. More than one watch restorer has said that winding the auto to start is fine -but not to be done as a regular thing, and thought it worthwhile pointing out.