Why newer CW gmts are nolonger cosc rated, really wish c65 aquatines can be cosc level

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
JJfengye

Why newer CW gmts are nolonger cosc rated, really wish c65 aquatines can be cosc level

Post by JJfengye »

ralfybaby
Senior
Senior

Re: Why newer CW gmts are nolonger cosc rated, really wish c65 aquatines can be cosc level

Post by ralfybaby »

My non-COSC CWs all run excellently. You have to pay extra for COSC rated movements. My guess is that CW did not want to charge the customers more.
Fat And Furious
Junior
Junior

Re: Why newer CW gmts are nolonger cosc rated, really wish c65 aquatines can be cosc level

Post by Fat And Furious »

Or they are having too much trouble making them run within cosc thresholds. I’ve seen cosc watches sold as non cosc during the sale.
NationOfLaws
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by NationOfLaws »

JJfengye wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:49 am Why newer CW gmts are nolonger cosc rated, really wish c65 aquatines can be cosc level
I think once they've been in for a movement service the COSC certification no longer applies, so the nearly-new models without COSC may have been serviced.

I could absolutely be wrong about this.
maclink
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 4

Post by maclink »

My COSC rated (two) are more accurate than my other two, one of which runs +14s/d. I am wary of the non-COSC SW200-1's. Once bitten, as it were....
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

CW have offerred COSC GMT watches but rarely. I can't say why but I guess it's all a matter of economics: whether it's a COSC chronometer or a GMT complication it seems the demand is for "as economically as possible" so combining the two elements into one watch might be a deterrent.

This is a gem of a watch: https://www.christopherward.com/C60-Eli ... 1000.html#
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
sclead
Junior
Junior

Post by sclead »

If you are concerned with accuracy why not get the watch regulated. My bronze 300 pro is cosc and runs about a second a day fast. My seiko 5 field watch which cost 200 and runs +2 a day. Cosc doesn’t make the movement more accurate. It is just regulated to the specifications. Yes they do the regulation there. But it can be done by most watch makers.
These users thanked the author sclead for the post:
tikkathree
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

@JJfengye - Welcome to the forum. :wave:

If you look through the list of current and historical GMT movement CW watches on the CWArchive there are only two models with a COSC rated movement;-

C60 Elite GMT 1000 and C63 Sapphire GMT COSC LE.

As to why there are perhaps not more, it is likely a matter of economics and cost. A GMT movement costs more than a regular three hand movement and a COSC rated movement costs more on top?

As to a C65 Aquitaine COSC GMT? Maybe CW has one, perhaps a limited edition, waiting in the wings; maybe they don't.

Guy

Sent from my Galaxy S23 Ultra using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author Bahnstormer_vRS for the post:
tikkathree
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
rsg

Post by rsg »

sclead wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:00 pm If you are concerned with accuracy why not get the watch regulated. My bronze 300 pro is cosc and runs about a second a day fast. My seiko 5 field watch which cost 200 and runs +2 a day. Cosc doesn’t make the movement more accurate. It is just regulated to the specifications. Yes they do the regulation there. But it can be done by most watch makers.
It's more that just regulation to meet COSC, the movement is adjusted in 5 different positions to even out the differences. On my Bronze 300 (-1 spd) the timing in the various positions is very similar and is much more consistent than my Sealander.
But as you say regulation can easily fix a watch running faster/slower that you would prefer.
These users thanked the author rsg for the post:
tikkathree
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

@JJfengye

Welcome. Do please visit the Member Introduction section and tell us about yourself. 8)

I’m currently wearing my C63 Sealander GMT (non-COSC Sellita SW330-2) which appears to have gained three seconds over the last two days.

As @Bahnstormer_vRS points out, historically very few GMTs from CW have used COSC movements.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
tikkathree
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

NationOfLaws wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:40 pm
JJfengye wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:49 am Why newer CW gmts are nolonger cosc rated, really wish c65 aquatines can be cosc level
I think once they've been in for a movement service the COSC certification no longer applies, so the nearly-new models without COSC may have been serviced.

I could absolutely be wrong about this.
NN units that were originally sold as COSC and re sold as non COSC are usually missing the COSC certificates. Without that it cannot be sold as COSC certified. The cost to replace a certificate is prohibitive in this circumstance so they are sold as is.

Missing certificates are usually a result of them not being returned with the watches.
These users thanked the author Kip for the post:
NationOfLaws
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

Fat And Furious wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:16 pm Or they are having too much trouble making them run within cosc thresholds. I’ve seen cosc watches sold as non cosc during the sale.
COSC regulation of a movement is performed by Sellita, and those movements are sold as regulated and certified. Certification is tested and awarded by a Swiss testing institute. What you see as a “no COSC” watch sold in the CW sale is simply that the COSC document is missing, often as a consequence of a customer return where the customer neglected to send back the certificate with the watch. And so CW discounts it to sell the watch and discloses the watch has no certificate included. It is “no COSC,” as in missing the paperwork, not that the watch is “too much trouble” to regulate it within COSC, which perhaps might be noted as “non COSC” in this case.
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair