What's your reccomendation for a First CW watch?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Suncoast
CW-watches: 0

What's your reccomendation for a First CW watch?

Post by Suncoast »

I've been active on the WUS forum for a couple of years now and have gone through @ 15 different affordable watches. Over the last few months I've been getting rid of some of my lower end watches and trying to move up in quality. I've had a Hamilton Pilot(now sold)and an Oris Chrono that i've really been impressed by. I've had last years catalog and have ben pouring over the Christopher Ward Collection trying to decide which one I'd like to be my first. I've sort of ruled out the Malvern series as being too dressy for my lifestyle same thing with the Harrison series, I'm really liking the diver and aviator series. Can someone that has both explaing the pros and cons of each? I'd also like an easy to read dial as my eyes aren't what they used to be, Auto movement as well. Thanks in advance for your input. :D
downer
CW-watches: 4

Re: What's your reccomendation for a First CW watch?

Post by downer »

It's a tough question to answer as the pilot style is quite different from the divers. The obvious solution is to have both, so when you get the first one, you get it knowing you will also get the second eventually. This way, the decision is easier because it's only about prioritisation, rather than choice. :)

Like yours, my eyes are not what they were, but I still like to buy watches that I can read without reading glasses. The C60 Trident and the C8 MkII both easily meet this criteria.

The C8 has a bigger visible dial and wears a little larger on the wrist, although not too much. The C8 is helped by being only 10mm or so thick, which is quite slim for a 44mm watch.

If you like watches on bracelets, the C60 is a strong contender, whereas the C8 is restricted to leather straps.

I doubt that helps at all!
Richard
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 3

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I can't comment on CW divers as I don't have one, but they're very popular with the many members who do! :D
I have a Mk1 black-dial C8, which is perhaps the hardest to read and the fussiest dial of the C8s, but the blue is very pretty, especially under lume conditions:

This style is no longer available except as the occasional pre-owned item in SC, but newer evolutions do look very clear. As with all CW watches I've seen, I wish that I could see the date without my reading glasses!

Great watch, though - mine runs at about +5/6 s/d. :thumbup:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; wannabe travel writer

Walk a while in others' shoes...

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time
Suncoast

Post by Suncoast »

Wow that C8 is really very nice and unusual, I don't think I've seen a watch that combines white and blue, if I didn't see a pic of yours I wouldn't have thought the 2 would look good together. :)
leelee
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 1

Post by leelee »

I got a c8 pilot mk1 cream face for my first CWL i liked it that much when the vintage addition came out i bought one of them as well, very well made, nice to look at and comfy to wear.
i don't think you can go far wrong with one, but if you don't lke it send it back....60/60.
cheers lee
jack
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by jack »

C5 Aviator Mark II, or the C50 COSC. Both very distinctive.

Cheers,
Jack.
nathanclarinet
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by nathanclarinet »

leelee wrote:I got a c8 pilot mk1 cream face for my first CWL i liked it that much when the vintage addition came out i bought one of them as well, very well made, nice to look at and comfy to wear.
i don't think you can go far wrong with one, but if you don't lke it send it back....60/60.
cheers lee
C8 Mk I was also my first and to date favourite CW. I think you will be happy with any iteration of the C8 - it is a cracking watch.
Suncoast

Post by Suncoast »

I think it's come down to either a C5 Aviator or a C8 Aviator, there's a really nice C5 mk1 for sale on the forum but I'm a little concerned about the size of 38mm, I have a 7 1/2" wrist and am used to wearing 40mm plus watches. Is there anyone on here that has both and can compare the 2 for me?
I'm really looking forward to getting my first CW :D
Russ-Shettle
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Russ-Shettle »

I would simply go with the one that appeals to you most if it's within your budget. The C60 would be my choice if not the GMT and if I could afford it, the C60-GMT over the C60 but that's me. My first was the C5 Malvern but that's been a while ago now, before anything like the C60 came out. Now I'm wearing the C700 which I recently bought but it was a hard choice over the C60 GMT. It was almost a coin toss but now I have the other to look forward to soon, I hope.
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Suncoast wrote:I think it's come down to either a C5 Aviator or a C8 Aviator, there's a really nice C5 mk1 for sale on the forum but I'm a little concerned about the size of 38mm, I have a 7 1/2" wrist and am used to wearing 40mm plus watches. Is there anyone on here that has both and can compare the 2 for me?
I'm really looking forward to getting my first CW :D
I have a 7 1/4" wrist, so fairly similar.

I prefer smaller watches, but the C8 wears OK. The C5 IMO wears slightly bigger than some 38mm watches and would not look small and insignificant, if that's what worries you. I regularly wear 32-36 mm vintage watches.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; wannabe travel writer

Walk a while in others' shoes...

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time
atnits
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by atnits »

Have a look on the Gallery section, especially the reference gallery.
CornishDave
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by CornishDave »

Lots of good advice there but for legibility my C11 is the best CW I have.
Suncoast

Post by Suncoast »

Thanks for the advice guys, The gallery section was very helpful....I think it'll have to be a C8..... :D Now the quest starts!!!
Russ-Shettle
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Russ-Shettle »

Suncoast wrote:Thanks for the advice guys, The gallery section was very helpful....I think it'll have to be a C8..... :D Now the quest starts!!!
Enjoy the journey! :thumbup:
JRAD
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by JRAD »

Which ever one you can't live with out. My first was just ordered and it was a pretty easy decision for me. I just love the look of the all black C8 MkII Vintage. Yum!
C8KVKT Pilot Mk II - U-2 Vintage Edition #1184!
C60 GMT w/Bracelet and Orange Leather Strap
Bueche Girod
Bulova Marine Star

Funding my addiction through photography. Feel free to make reckless purchases at http://www.jonathanradin.com