Watches stolen. Made profit from insurance company due to CW

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
lanari31
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Watches stolen. Made profit from insurance company due to CW

Post by lanari31 »

Recently had my C5 ( wedding watch ) and my C20 stolen after my house was broken into. However, due to current market value of watches from CW price increase, I actually made a profit on them being stolen !!
Cirrus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Re: Watches stolen. Made profit from insurance company due t

Post by Cirrus »

Until your next renewal quote...

:cry:

--
Sent from my YP-G70 using Tapatalk 2
“The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church” - Fernão de Magalhães
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Surely a profit is scant compensation for the loss of a sentimental item i.e. your wedding watch.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia S using TapaTalk 4 Pro
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
tempusmaximus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by tempusmaximus »

I think the thought of some parasitic B*****d going through my personal belongings and making of with items of sentimental value would truly p*ss me off. The thought of making a profit on them would not subdue my rage im afraid.
Bernie
Berkshire

Post by Berkshire »

I do find it odd that you seem to be pleased to have made a 'profit' on your loss. Surely there is no compensation to be had when your home has been violated and your wedding watch has been stolen. I know I would be 'gutted' at such a sentimental loss. I do hope your watches are recovered and the thief is suitably dealt with.
daveodz
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 10

Post by daveodz »

Berkshire wrote: and the thief is suitably dealt with.
Chop thier hands off, that will stop them reoffending!!
David
33 Watches
2 Dogs
4 Cars
500 Scalextric Cars
2 Daughters
1 Wife
2 Grandsons
1 Grandaugther
...............No money left!!!
Cirrus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Cirrus »

daveodz wrote:
David
Does make the appeals process a lot more complicated though...
“The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church” - Fernão de Magalhães
Leo David
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by Leo David »

I was burgled twice in the Eighties and the consequence of that act permanently deprived me of highly sentimental pieces, including some lovely and irreplaceable art deco cufflinks left to me by my then father-in-law. In monetary terms we incurred a substantial net loss, of course, but the thought of making money from the burglary never entered my head. Perhaps the ready availability of a C5 and C20 has softened the blow. Good luck in your hunt for new pieces to replace the ones you have lost.
robinbarke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by robinbarke »

Leo David wrote:I was burgled twice in the Eighties and the consequence of that act permanently deprived me of highly sentimental pieces, including some lovely and irreplaceable art deco cufflinks left to me by my then father-in-law. In monetary terms we incurred a substantial net loss, of course, but the thought of making money from the burglary never entered my head. Perhaps the ready availability of a C5 and C20 has softened the blow. Good luck in your hunt for new pieces to replace the ones you have lost.
And the problem is exacerbated by the police making little or no effort to recover stolen property. At least you will have played your part in addressing the imbalance between the haves and have nots in our society. Scant comfort.

Robin
C9GMT C8 Mk 1 C5 Malvern 2011 C9FLE C50 Malvern COSC C60 FLE2012 2013FLE
Oris Big Crown, Hublot, Rolex Datejust, Nomos Tangomat.

See my book, Aynho Junction, in the News section of http://www.robinbarkerphotography.com
Leo David
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Leo David »

None at all Robin. The inadequacies and indifference of the police had to be seen to be believed. The second burglary was particularly nasty. I'll save the unpleasant details but suffice to say we had to have the place deep cleaned and we threw out all our linen, clothes, curtains, carpets etc.
daveodz
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 10

Post by daveodz »

Cirrus wrote:
daveodz wrote:
David
Does make the appeals process a lot more complicated though...
Tough........Don't do the crime then!

On reflection, you are right, lets not waste the Appeal Courts time, just shoot them :thumbup: )
33 Watches
2 Dogs
4 Cars
500 Scalextric Cars
2 Daughters
1 Wife
2 Grandsons
1 Grandaugther
...............No money left!!!
Pegleg2001
Senior
Senior

Post by Pegleg2001 »

robinbarke wrote:
And the problem is exacerbated by the police making little or no effort to recover stolen property. At least you will have played your part in addressing the imbalance between the haves and have nots in our society. Scant comfort.

Robin
Didn't used to be like this. in the early 80s I had a stereo head stolen from my MkI Ford Capri (very "Life on Mars" with metallic bronze and tan vinyl sunroof:) ).

Much to my surprise, about 3 months later a detective turned up at the door with stereo in his hand. "Is this yours, sir?".

Turned out the thief worked at the local petrol station, and was trying to sell it to customers as they paid for their fuel. Obviously not the sharpest tool in the box.

Sent from my iPhone 6 (pre-production beta)
Leo David
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Leo David »

I hope you reported it to your insurance company... The thief who stole your stereo clearly lacked a cell or two but then again if criminals were clever our much put upon Constabularies would never cope.
robinbarke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by robinbarke »

Leo David wrote:I hope you reported it to your insurance company... The thief who stole your stereo clearly lacked a cell or two but then again if criminals were clever our much put upon Constabularies would never cope.
I had occasion to show a couple round an empty property where I was Executor. I noticed on the way in that a window was broken. The lady was ahead of her husband in one of the bedrooms when she let out a scream. There was a man in the bedroom cupboard! I took him by the scruff of the neck, dialled 999 and the police arrived and I handed the man over. He admitted gaining entry through the window he had broken. Later that day the police telephoned to say they had released the man as they "had insufficient evidence to charge him with breaking and entering" !
C9GMT C8 Mk 1 C5 Malvern 2011 C9FLE C50 Malvern COSC C60 FLE2012 2013FLE
Oris Big Crown, Hublot, Rolex Datejust, Nomos Tangomat.

See my book, Aynho Junction, in the News section of http://www.robinbarkerphotography.com
theaub
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by theaub »

robinbarke wrote:
Leo David wrote:I hope you reported it to your insurance company... The thief who stole your stereo clearly lacked a cell or two but then again if criminals were clever our much put upon Constabularies would never cope.
I had occasion to show a couple round an empty property where I was Executor. I noticed on the way in that a window was broken. The lady was ahead of her husband in one of the bedrooms when she let out a scream. There was a man in the bedroom cupboard! I took him by the scruff of the neck, dialled 999 and the police arrived and I handed the man over. He admitted gaining entry through the window he had broken. Later that day the police telephoned to say they had released the man as they "had insufficient evidence to charge him with breaking and entering" !
Amazing. Doesn't exactly fill me with confidence regarding our justice system. Even a confession isn't enough to get a conviction.