Watch size and dial colour

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Freddy
Senior
Senior

Watch size and dial colour

Post by Freddy »

HI guys,

I was reading online that darker watch faces don't look as big on the wrist is this true of nonsense.

I have a small wrist, about 6.5 inches and wear a C9 blue, I don't think it looks to big. I am thinking of getting another C9 with a white face. Will it look bigger on my wrist due to the lighter dial. I don't want to look like I have a wall clock on my wrist.
moriarty
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 10

Re: Watch size and dial colour

Post by moriarty »

An interesting question.

I think that how wide the bezel is in relation to the dial is probably more of an influence on how large a watch appears to be.
Moriarty

C9 JH Mk 2 C70 MC C600 C60 GMT C5 Mk 1 x 3 N22 CCC
Breitling SOHC LE / Navitimer '52 Omega '52 JLC Ebel Beluga Manchette Bulova Accutron Hamilton Ventura 80's Gucci Citizen Eco AT's 'Bambinos' 'Blue Mako' Seiko LE Kemmner Skeleton...
vietvet68
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 0

Post by vietvet68 »

I agree 100% with moriarty.
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

Hmmm. A first I thought that sounded like BS, but in hindsight there may be some small truth to it. I have a cream C5A Mk1, and a black C3 Mk1. The C3 doesn't really look bigger on the wrist, despite the 2mm size difference, and very similar dial and bezel. I don't think it means you can pull off a black dinner plate as a 36mm dress watch, but a dark dial may give a SLIGHTLY smaller appearance.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
Clarky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes

Post by Clarky »

At one point I had a C9 GMT with the silver dial and the C9 FLE which has a black dial and found that the silver faced GMT wore larger than the FLE.

I also had a 41.5mm Omega Aqua Terra With the opaline dial which wore a lot bigger than my 41.5mm black dialled Omega SMP, this is mainly due to the large dial size and thin bezel of the AT compared to the SMP with its relatively wide divers bezel which means it has a smaller dial diameter too.
I can resist everything, Except temptation
Oscar Wilde
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

I think there is something in this. I have 6.75" wrists and I had to return my white C9 as it wore too big. However, my (black) C9FLE wears absolutely fine.

This isn't just about dial colour, but also about dial design. Any dress watch is going to wear larger, which is why I think dress watches should be smaller, eg less than 40mm.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr