Uncle Bill
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12
LE-two: yes
Location: Mid-Sussex, just North of South Downs National Park

Re: Watch Accuracy

Post by Uncle Bill »

I agree with Russ over this question of accuracy. By all means have the pleasure/fun/interest of finding out how your individual watch performs - then settle down to enjoy having it. After all, we don't irritate those we come into contact with by saying, "It's ten minutes and twenty-three seconds past eight" when we're asked the time , but more likely, "It's ten past."

I've observed previous people on this forum to get so obsessed with their mechanical watch's performance that they cease to enjoy possessing it. Most of us, if we buy a car, check its advertised top speed, after a careful look around and perhaps only once, and very discreetly and without drawing attention to ourselves, thrash a ton of tin up to 115 mph and relax, sweaty but satisfied, never necessarily needing to do it again.

If we knew that most standard speedometers are about +8% and that we are not reaching the advertised speed, we would keep taking the car back to the dealer. A mechanical watch is a little like the new car, be satisfied with it if it works within reasonable specification or buy a quartz, saving a lot of money into the bargain. Or (ssch) read the time off your cell-phone.

I have an enjoyment of owning, within my means, a variety of mechanical movements. Some have their own quirks, some are more accurate than others but, I like 'em all! ...UB :)
Let us hope all politicians are masochists, that they may truly enjoy our fondest wishes...
julywest
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by julywest »

Uncle Bill wrote: I've observed previous people on this forum to get so obsessed with their mechanical watch's performance that they cease to enjoy possessing it. Most of us, if we buy a car, check its advertised top speed, after a careful look around and perhaps only once, and very discreetly and without drawing attention to ourselves, thrash a ton of tin up to 115 mph and relax, sweaty but satisfied, never necessarily needing to do it again.

If we knew that most standard speedometers are about +8% and that we are not reaching the advertised speed, we would keep taking the car back to the dealer. A mechanical watch is a little like the new car, be satisfied with it if it works within reasonable specification or buy a quartz, saving a lot of money into the bargain. Or (ssch) read the time off your cell-phone.

I have an enjoyment of owning, within my means, a variety of mechanical movements. Some have their own quirks, some are more accurate than others but, I like 'em all! ...UB :)
Brought to mind a memory from long ago... owned a used Austin-Healey 3000 in 1967 when I was 16. It was a used 1962 and rare for my area in US. It was missing a speedometer so in 4th I used the tach to estimate my speed. I'm not sure I didn't love it more then than when I finally found a used speedometer for it. Sometimes it's the quirk that's good.
sibex
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 1

Post by sibex »

Don't get me wrong guys, im really not complaining. I love my watch and already I know that no amount of money would make me part with it. im still in the early days with it and find it fascinating to check accuracy etc.
I'm sure this will wear off soon enough.
:)
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 3

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Sibex, there's nothing wrong in liking your mechanical watches to be as accurate as possible, deep down who wouldn't?
Yes, I've been monitoring a new one for a month, and now I know that I won't really need to. I'd be disappointed to pay over £1K for a watch to find it was gaining 30 seconds a day.
As most of my watches are fired up from rest I have to set them anyway by the quartzers, and if they hack I may as well do it right! Not a problem.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; wannabe travel writer

Walk a while in others' shoes...

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time
Russ-Shettle
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by Russ-Shettle »

zelmo wrote:I wish I had been so lucky. I got 2 C5s in December. I gave them 2 months to settle down but it didn't help. One was running 25 seconds a day fast and the other was 48 seconds a day fast. They are back at CWL for regulation.
Now you see.. there's a good point to bring up. You can regulate it. Yahoo...

OK, now I've said this so so so so so so so many times before in the past. How fast or slow a mechanical watch is doesn't matter because it can be regulated, assuming there's no damage. What matters is "CONSISTENCY" The question you want to answer for yourself: Is it always fast or slow at the same rate over a period of time? That's what you want to make note of. Think about it... It's consistency that COSC tests for when awarding certification but of course, on watches that have been well regulated. If your watch is 30 seconds fast per day and is still 30 seconds fast 3 months from now.... celebrate and say to yourself, "I have a fantastic watch" then go and have it regulated.

I don't want to have to tell you again or it's back to the rubber room for you with no meds! :lol: :lol: :lol: