Watch Accuracy

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
sibex
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 1

Re: Watch Accuracy

Post by sibex »

Great stuff.. .. I thought I was misreading mine or it was just a fluke. This is all good news and makes me even more smug at owning a CWL.
Mezzame
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 3

Post by Mezzame »

Question - What should I make of the break-in or settling down period I read about for a new movement? My novice guess would be that each movement responds differently and even 4 separate 2893-2s would register different results.

I'm trying to get a better understanding about this stuff. Any insights?

Also, I have been tracking my new C60 and it is now measuring +3 sec from being set once 56 hr ago. I'm interested to see how that plays out.

Mez
C60 Trident GMT-SKS
C70 RAF Ad Astra
C60 Auto SKK
Seiko Diver
Pathfinder
Russ-Shettle
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Russ-Shettle »

5 seconds in one full week? that's COSC baby! :clap:
Leo David
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Leo David »

Russ-Shettle wrote:5 seconds in one full week? that's COSC baby! :clap:
5 seconds on one day is COSC. 5 seconds in a week from a watch costing a few hundred quid and you start to question the worth of the very highest grade movements.
Russ-Shettle
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Russ-Shettle »

Leo David wrote:
Russ-Shettle wrote:5 seconds in one full week? that's COSC baby! :clap:
5 seconds on one day is COSC. 5 seconds in a week from a watch costing a few hundred quid and you start to question the worth of the very highest grade movements.
I wonder it would accept if for certification. My C5 was only 3 seconds a day fast.
auroraborealis

Post by auroraborealis »

Well I´ll be .... Just for laughs I set my C60 on time by my GPS unit 3 weeks ago. Yesterday I checked the difference- My C60 was +2 seconds... Now I really don´t really care if my watch is off +15 or -30 seconds a week or not, but (maybe this was a fluke) outstanding anyhow.
Navigare necesse est
zelmo
Junior
Junior

Post by zelmo »

I wish I had been so lucky. I got 2 C5s in December. I gave them 2 months to settle down but it didn't help. One was running 25 seconds a day fast and the other was 48 seconds a day fast. They are back at CWL for regulation.
image_doctor
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 5

Post by image_doctor »

Mezzame wrote:Question - What should I make of the break-in or settling down period I read about for a new movement? My novice guess would be that each movement responds differently and even 4 separate 2893-2s would register different results.

Also, I have been tracking my new C60 and it is now measuring +3 sec from being set once 56 hr ago. I'm interested to see how that plays out.

Mez
You are dead right to suspect it's a subject with subtleties :)

Manufacturing tolerances and degree of regulation will mean each mechanical watch has it's own accuracy characteristics.

It's reasonably to assume that accuracy will follow some sort of Normal/Gaussian probability distribution centered around
the manufacturer's ( ETA in this case ) quoted accuracy.
See here ...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ETA_SA

The past enviromental conditions any particular watch experiences plays a significant part in it's instantaneous accuracy .... temperature history, acceleration history, gravitational orientation history, lubrication, movement wear.

So it's definitely a case of YMMV.

There are some individual watch history over a few weeks detailed here ...
http://www.christopherwardforum.com/vie ... 65#p117854
sibex
Senior
Senior

Post by sibex »

Well 2 weeks in now and an untouched c5 is running 15 secs fast. So somehow its gained 20 secs in a week. Still not complaining though.
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Apologies for mentioning non-CW in this section, but I've now had my Nomos running for a month without resetting, and it's +1!
It gains about 1 sec/day when worn or left face up and loses similar if left crown-up, so it's been very easy to manage. Pleased or wot? :D
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; wannabe travel writer

Walk a while in others' shoes...

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time
sibex
Senior
Senior

Post by sibex »

Wow!
Russ-Shettle
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Russ-Shettle »

sibex wrote:Well 2 weeks in now and an untouched c5 is running 15 secs fast. So somehow its gained 20 secs in a week. Still not complaining though.
That's still above average performance.
Russ-Shettle
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Russ-Shettle »

image_doctor wrote:
Mezzame wrote:Question - What should I make of the break-in or settling down period I read about for a new movement? My novice guess would be that each movement responds differently and even 4 separate 2893-2s would register different results.

Mez

Manufacturing tolerances and degree of regulation will mean each mechanical watch has it's own accuracy characteristics.

It's reasonably to assume that accuracy will follow some sort of Normal/Gaussian probability distribution centered around

The past enviromental conditions any particular watch experiences plays a significant part in it's instantaneous accuracy .... temperature history, acceleration history, gravitational orientation history, lubrication, movement wear.

I've read about this "so called" break-in period and found different opinions about it. One watch maker, in fact, wrote that there is no break-in period. By the time you receive it from the manufacturer it has already been tested enough and ran for a while to give it a suitable break-in. Who am I to argue. All I can say is that everyone of my watches ran at the same error rate after a year without any real change in performance. I use to bother with precisely measuring and noting the error for each one every single day until I drove myself crazy and ended up with no longer caring. Today, if I discover my watch to be off by one minute, I'll think about resetting it but I'm in no rush and have it so right. It was fun at first but after a while, it get's old. My new C700, I probably spent a few days in the beginning noting it's accuracy just so I can be aware of how soon I will need to reset. It turns out that I will need to reset my 700 about once every 3 weeks to keep it within one minute or even one month if I set it behind about 30 seconds. However, I encourage you to research and explore the wonderful world of mechanical timekeeping. I certainly did in the beginning.
julywest
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by julywest »

Well said.
Mezzame
Guru
Guru

Post by Mezzame »

Russ-Shettle wrote:
image_doctor wrote:

Mez

I've read about this "so called" break-in period and found different opinions about it. One watch maker, in fact, wrote that there is no break-in period. By the time you receive it from the manufacturer it has already been tested enough and ran for a while to give it a suitable break-in. Who am I to argue. All I can say is that everyone of my watches ran at the same error rate after a year without any real change in performance. I use to bother with precisely measuring and noting the error for each one every single day until I drove myself crazy and ended up with no longer caring. Today, if I discover my watch to be off by one minute, I'll think about resetting it but I'm in no rush and have it so right. It was fun at first but after a while, it get's old. My new C700, I probably spent a few days in the beginning noting it's accuracy just so I can be aware of how soon I will need to reset. It turns out that I will need to reset my 700 about once every 3 weeks to keep it within one minute or even one month if I set it behind about 30 seconds. However, I encourage you to research and explore the wonderful world of mechanical timekeeping. I certainly did in the beginning.

This is great stuff. I'd say it boils down to "this is what makes your watch... yours".
C60 Trident GMT-SKS
C70 RAF Ad Astra
C60 Auto SKK
Seiko Diver
Pathfinder