University student with questions

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
espresso

University student with questions

Post by espresso »

Hola, gentlemen.

So, I'm a university student in the market for a watch. But I don't want just any watch, and I don't want a cheaply made piece of junk. I stumbled upon the C5 quartz watches for $225 and thought to myself, "hey, that's not half bad!" The fine folks of watchuseek have given their stamps of approval to Christopher Ward watches and since they are Swiss made they seem like a sure bet. However, I'm a newbie to horology and I'm wondering is a quartz watch (even if it is from Switzerland) worth it for a first timer? Are quartz "movements" able to withstand the test of time? I know it's only a $225 watch, but to a university student it's quite a bit when you consider the expenses of my books next month. :P

I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Cheers.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Re: University student with questions

Post by Kip »

Welcome to "The Asylum"!

The C5 quartz is certainly is worth it in my opinion. It is an excellent value and a good looker.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
espresso

Post by espresso »

Thank you, Kip! I have a 7" wrist, so I hope the watch will fit properly. :P Is there a consensus on what's the better watch between the C3 quartz and C5 quartz? I apologize in advance as I'll be asking lots of questions during my time here, and I hope I don't begin to annoy the regular and knowledgable membership.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

The prime differences are that the C3 is a chronograph, therefore, it does have a different movement. The C5 is a little bit thicker, but I doubt you will notice the difference. THe rest is visual as they both use the same case. I am comparing the quartz models here.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
damodude32
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Post by damodude32 »

Try a Steinhart, not CW but a damn good watch for the price tag. Just got my self an Ocean Vintage Military. Ive got a C60 GMT and they are both completely different watches. Swiss made and very very good build quality.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Welcome! 8)
Shop around for sure, but as Kip says you won't go far wrong with the C5 or C3.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Paul Drawmer
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 7

Post by Paul Drawmer »

espresso wrote:... I'm wondering is a quartz watch (even if it is from Switzerland) worth it for a first timer? Are quartz "movements" able to withstand the test of time? ..
Quartz movements have been around for quite some time now. I am somewhat puzzled by this question, and wonder what sort of lifetime expectancy you have for your next watch purpose.

In many ways a quartz watch will be more robust and put up with more knocks and bangs than a mechanical watch. I love and prefer mechanical watches, but that's just because I like them. I don't think a mechanical watch is a 'better' watch than a quartz one.

Decide on your priorities for choosing the watch, and pick one that fits best.
There's always time for one more.
Mattt
Junior
Junior

Post by Mattt »

A mechanical watch is technically worse as a watch, it's less accurate and needs resetting if not worn, but they are much more interesting.

If this is your first foray into decent watches, would an Automatic not be a more suitable purchase?

I have several quartz watches, and they do have their place, but just don't feel as special.
Richard B
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Richard B »

You're a student!

Get a $15 Casio/Timex/whatever and spend the $210 on beer and condoms.

Then once you're working you can get yourself a decent mechanical watch.

Sorry, but there are very few quartz watches that I have time for.
So I wish I was James Bond, just for the day.
Kissing all the girls, blow the bad guys away.
Cirrus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Cirrus »

Richard B wrote:You're a student!

Get a $15 Casio/Timex/whatever and spend the $210 on beer and condoms.
The condoms being to protect oneself against what may be on a $15 Timex or Casio?

Having said that, I have a Timex Expedition that cost me less than £5 from a car boot sale, and is unquestionably Awesome ;)
“The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church” - Fernão de Magalhães
akirk
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by akirk »

Don't be put off by the quartz / automatic argument - a watch from CWL is generally fantastic whatever it might be... I have a number of both types... Yesterday I was wearing the JH2 - one of their most fantastic automatics - and later in the day the cream C3 on a blue strap - one of the cheapest I own and a quartz - yet the detailing / case / face / etc. on the C3 is still gorgeous...

Alasdair
Tracking Christopher Ward watch prices on ebay globally at Watchroll
Tracking Bremont watch prices on ebay globally at Watchtrace
gweilgi
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 1

Post by gweilgi »

espresso wrote:Hola, gentlemen.

So, I'm a university student in the market for a watch. But I don't want just any watch, and I don't want a cheaply made piece of junk. I stumbled upon the C5 quartz watches for $225 and thought to myself, "hey, that's not half bad!" The fine folks of watchuseek have given their stamps of approval to Christopher Ward watches and since they are Swiss made they seem like a sure bet. However, I'm a newbie to horology and I'm wondering is a quartz watch (even if it is from Switzerland) worth it for a first timer? Are quartz "movements" able to withstand the test of time? I know it's only a $225 watch, but to a university student it's quite a bit when you consider the expenses of my books next month. :P

I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Cheers.
Books? Don't they have Google where you're at?
:)

Basically, if you like the looks of it and you think it won't eat too much into your beer budget, go for it. There's nothing wrong with the quality of the movement and it's a fine-looking timepiece. Any issues you may have in the future ("test of time") will probably be related to the case rather than the movement, such as a cracked or scratched glass, or a faulty water resistance. You will have to spend around $10 every two years or so to replace the battery, but that's really a minor expense....

Alex
proud C60 owner (grey)
Robin CB
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by Robin CB »

Paul Drawmer wrote:
espresso wrote:... I'm wondering is a quartz watch (even if it is from Switzerland) worth it for a first timer? Are quartz "movements" able to withstand the test of time? ..
Quartz movements have been around for quite some time now. I am somewhat puzzled by this question, and wonder what sort of lifetime expectancy you have for your next watch purpose.

In many ways a quartz watch will be more robust and put up with more knocks and bangs than a mechanical watch. I love and prefer mechanical watches, but that's just because I like them. I don't think a mechanical watch is a 'better' watch than a quartz one.

Have to disagree with you there Paul I'm afraid -

I was given a reasonable Pulsar quartz as an engagement present. It did last almost 25 years, but when it did fail (the hands started to miss-align - an apparently well known issue) it was impossible to find someone who would repair it.

That wasn't all bad news as that is the start of my CW story (see other threads) but in terms of the OP - Quartz watches are not lifetime investments and (unlike mechanical) when they do go wrong they can be difficult / uneconomic to repair.

If you want a watch that you can pass on to your children - buy a mechanical (see various vintage watch posts for further evidence).
akirk
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by akirk »

Robin CB wrote:
Paul Drawmer wrote:

I was given a reasonable Pulsar quartz as an engagement present. It did last almost 25 years, but when it did fail (the hands started to miss-align - an apparently well known issue) it was impossible to find someone who would repair it.

That wasn't all bad news as that is the start of my CW story (see other threads) but in terms of the OP - Quartz watches are not lifetime investments and (unlike mechanical) when they do go wrong they can be difficult / uneconomic to repair.

If you want a watch that you can pass on to your children - buy a mechanical (see various vintage watch posts for further evidence).
I think that there is value in both of these comments - quartz is generally more set and forget - I wouldn't wish to have no quartz watches at all, they are robust, and easy to live with - and the CWL versions are generally still very beautiful watches - I was looking at the casing on my C3 just yesterday and thinking how amazing it was to have so beautiful a watch for only £115 (in the sale):
you have to agree - that is beautiful :D

so a quartz can be beautiful / more reliable / easier to live with...

but I don't think that it is ever more interesting! There is something alive about a mechanical watch - you interact with it more / it has an internal beauty in addition to the surface beauty - and definitely the capacity to be an heirloom item - that is why I have both - it is why I bought the C900 - not because I wish to use the timer on it - I rarely would, but because the mechanicals of it are absolutely fascinating and it is an heirloom piece - yesterday in Church my godson and I were sitting waiting for the service to start - but even more focused on the JH2 changing hour - could he hear it / see it jump :D you don't interact with a quartz!

that is the beauty of a mechanical... however, with where the OP is currently - don't worry so much, if you love watches - you will no doubt over time sell / buy and your collection will change... so for now - buy easy / cheap / beautiful - nurture the love of the watches, and then start to save like mad for the very special ones :D

Alasdair
Tracking Christopher Ward watch prices on ebay globally at Watchroll
Tracking Bremont watch prices on ebay globally at Watchtrace
Dancematt
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Dancematt »

Robin CB wrote:
Paul Drawmer wrote:

But that's 25 years without a service am I right? All watches need servicing quartz or not but a quartz will go longer between servicing. My Seiko RAF had gone 20 years without servicing, survivng years of military service without any jewels and was bashed around by a helicopter pilot so I thought id treat it to a nice bit of tlc so it can last another 20 years. My Grand Seiko quartz will supposedly go 50 years between services and I'm not sure you can get a better lifetime investment than that.

There are still the very first quartz watches out there from the 70s beating away fine because they were looked after or got close to the same care someone would give a mech, just service it before it stops and it'll run forever.
I miss all the great things that may never be.