Trident GMT - Is my GMT hand wrong?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
jpc763

Trident GMT - Is my GMT hand wrong?

Post by jpc763 »

I just picked this up recently and am wondering if my GMT hand is in the wrong position. Is seems to be a half hour off?

What do you all think?
josbrownlie
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 9

Re: Trident GMT - Is my GMT hand wrong?

Post by josbrownlie »

Yup looks like it's pointing to 1900hrs to me. They usually click around by half hour jumps. At least that's what my steinhart GMT does. Sorry don't have a CW GMT (yet)
C9 x5, C60 x3, C65 x1, Steinhart x2, CIGA Design, Jean Marcel, WT Author, Breitling & MSTR
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

I don't have a CW GMT either so I may be talking out of my hat here but I have just looked at the C60 GMT instruction manual on the CW site to check what it states there.

Seems to me that the GMT hand is showing at approx 10mins before 1900 (i.e.1850ish) whereas the minute/hour hands are at 2030 so, depending upon your location and what time difference you want it to show, it could be wrong (Have you set it up since you obtained it?)

I realise this might be an obvious suggestion but wait till your local time is at the hour and then change the GMT hand to what time difference you want it to show and then see if it stays in step for 24hours or so.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Each minute on the chapter is 24 min on the GMT hand. Yours is showing about 1845. Check the setting procedure in your manual. I think there’s an instruction for synchronising the hands.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
downer

Post by downer »

Suggest you manually wind the hands so the minute hour is at 12 and therefore, the hour hand is exactly at an hour mark. Then check where the GMT hand is pointing. Of course it should also be exactly at an hour mark (based on 24 hour scale).

If it is out of alignment, it is (unfortunately) not something that can be corrected by the user. It does happen with this movement - regardless of watch brand.
Richard
jpc763

Post by jpc763 »

downer wrote:Suggest you manually wind the hands so the minute hour is at 12 and therefore, the hour hand is exactly at an hour mark. Then check where the GMT hand is pointing. Of course it should also be exactly at an hour mark (based on 24 hour scale).

If it is out of alignment, it is (unfortunately) not something that can be corrected by the user. It does happen with this movement - regardless of watch brand.
Well it appears to be slightly off. That’s a bummer. Is this a warranty repair?

KevinB
Senior
Senior

Post by KevinB »

Mine was a warranty repair. Happened about 6 months after I purchased it new. Since the repair it had been fine (now 18 months on). I travel a lot for work so this watch is perfect for me.
downer

Post by downer »

Yes, it’s a simple fix under warranty. Some people say the gmt hand can get out of alignment due to a knock - often caused in transit.

I think if you send the picture to CW, they will sort it out.
Richard
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Richard D »

Happened to my C60 GMT, I hadn’t even worn the watch when on examination in the CW showroom I noticed the misaligned GMT hand. As I wanted this particular watch CW repaired it in just under four weeks. Since the watch has preformed exceptionally well. Hope you have your watch repaired and returned as quickly as I did.
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
jpc763

Post by jpc763 »

I am in contact with CW about repair. Thanks for the feedback.
rcherryuk
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by rcherryuk »

Apparently the GMT hand is simply force fitted on the stem, so a sudden shock can make it move on the stem. I know one CW hero on here that had his fixed, only to knock it on the doorframe when leaving No. 1 only to realise it had moved again :shock:
Rob

Watches are like Dictionaries; the worst is better than none, and the best cannot be expected to go quite true.
Samuel Johnson
nige
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 1

Post by nige »

Just wanted to put it out there, I had the same issue with mine where mine was off by about 7 mins (can't remember if it was +/-) for both the GMT and hour hands. I sent it in and when they received it, they said that it is within tolerance so they sent mine back without correcting the issue.
Tudor Black Bay 36, Wenger Field
kygan00

Post by kygan00 »

I was looking forward to getting my first CW GMT. Now im having second thoughts
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

kygan00 wrote:I was looking forward to getting my first CW GMT. Now im having second thoughts
The vast majority of owners (whose watches work perfectly) tend not to post the fact. So, here you go...perfect.

Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:
kygan00 wrote:I was looking forward to getting my first CW GMT. Now im having second thoughts
The vast majority of owners (whose watches work perfectly) tend not to post the fact. So, here you go...perfect.

quod erat demonstrandum!

nik
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)