Trident C60 COSC 600 with clear caseback?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
RejZoR

Post by RejZoR »

Are there any plans to release a Trident C60 COSC 600 with clear caseback? I love the dive watch design, I love watching a watch heart operate, I absolutely love the SH21 and yet when I'd flip over C60 600 model, all I'd see would be a metal caseback. I want to admire the amazing SH21 mechanism, it's one of biggest reasons to own a SH21 powered watch.

http://www.christopherward.co.uk/watche ... -skks.html

The moment these watches were released I said to myself, I want that! But now I'm hesitating solely because of the caseback. Just a clear caseback. That's all I'm asking. Then it would be absolutely perfect.
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Re: Trident C60 COSC 600 with clear caseback?

Post by smegwina »

At the risk of getting lynched on here, I am not sure that being able to view the sh21 is a good thing! Cracking movement that is just a bit "meh" to look at.

At the moment I can't see CW doing a 600m display back as it is an extra complication that I don't see them wanting to take on.

There is always the PO if you want a display back, 600m WR and a work of art movement!!!

Sent from my IRON using Tapatalk
RejZoR

Post by RejZoR »

Well, I love the looks of Seiko 6R15 in my Seiko SARB. I think it looks beautiful. SH21 falls into the same category. It's minimalistic and beautiful. I don't need hand engraved everything. I like it the way it looks on dressy SH21 powered watches. Yeah, those have the clear casebacks. I want that on a dive ChrWard watch.
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

I think it would also mean increasing the height.
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
FourthWard
Expert
Expert

Post by FourthWard »

I think golfjunky is on the right track. Increased height due to an extremely thick sapphire crystal would be my biggest concern.
TG3N
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by TG3N »

RejZoR wrote:Well, I love the looks of Seiko 6R15 in my Seiko SARB. I think it looks beautiful. SH21 falls into the same category. It's minimalistic and beautiful. I don't need hand engraved everything.
I love display backs, on any type of watch, so I'll always choose one if possible.

I've never understood the opinion that it almost has to be a Lange & Sohne movement or else you may as well cover it up. Regardless of decoration, it's a miniature mechanical marvel, with the 'heart' beating rhythmically away, and seeing that in any form helps remind me of why I'm so fascinated by mechanical watches.

I feel the same way about the very run-of-the-mill movement in my £50 Seiko 5 - it's utterly unfancy, but I love looking at it from time to time at my desk, even now that I have some more decorated Swiss movements in my collectiion.

It's interesting that Tudor have gone down the display back route with their own, new & in-house movement on the North Flag, and it's met with similar 'marmite' opinions. Definite parallels here.

The SH21 is an achievement to show off, so why not? Otherwise it would just feel like a regular ETA/Sellita Trident to me (aside from the COSC element & 5-day Power Reserve, of course).

However, apart from the water-resistance aspect, there are always practical limits, and sadly I (personally) don't think my average wrist size could carry-off a Trident with a few extra mm on top for a sapphire back as well! (Hence why the Chronograph Trident is a no-go for me). Each to their own though. Just as well the new deep-engraved/stamped case back is indeed a thing of beauty in it's own right.
RejZoR

Post by RejZoR »

That's the point. If only difference is the "5 day power reserve" on a dial, I may just as well get an old ETA movement and save a lot of money.

I'm surprised I'm finding people to be so defensive. I'm not saying I want to replace current models with clear caseback, I'm saying I'd like to see models with option to have such caseback. Maybe as separate models or as optional extra clear caseback. Just like I've paid extra for a ceramic bezel on my Steinheart, so I'd even pay tiny bit extra for a clear caseback C60 600 model. I mean, it costs over 1500€ I may just as well pay 20-30 extra to get such caseback. Yes?
AliBar
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by AliBar »

TG3N wrote:I've never understood the opinion that it almost has to be a Lange & Sohne movement or else you may as well cover it up. Regardless of decoration, it's a miniature mechanical marvel, with the 'heart' beating rhythmically away, and seeing that in any form helps remind me of why I'm so fascinated by mechanical watches.
I like all of my display backs but perhaps understand why the C60 might be viewed as a bit bland. Today, however, I have this one on and never could your comments resonate more freely than by taking this one off the wrist and just "watching". :thumbup:

Alastair.

Double Member of the C80 Owners Club
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

RejZoR wrote:I'm surprised I'm finding people to be so defensive.
I don't read anything defensive in any of the comments I'm afraid. The only naysayers are pointing out that the SH21 COSC version of the C60 is the tallest version available. Add a display back thick enough to maintain 600m of water resistance and it becomes a behemoth, possibly enough to reduce appeal significantly.

Personally I find the standard version of the C60 thick enough, without adding a couple of mm of display back. I own a planet ocean with a display back and while it's a beautiful movement, mesmerising even, on balance I'd prefer the watch to have a solid case back and reduce the height. Don't get me wrong, I love a display back... but preferably on a thinner watch.
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Post by smegwina »

gaf1958 wrote:
RejZoR wrote:I'm surprised I'm finding people to be so defensive.
I don't read anything defensive in any of the comments I'm afraid. The only naysayers are pointing out that the SH21 COSC version of the C60 is the tallest version available. Add a display back thick enough to maintain 600m of water resistance and it becomes a behemoth, possibly enough to reduce appeal significantly.

Personally I find the standard version of the C60 thick enough, without adding a couple of mm of display back. I own a planet ocean with a display back and while it's a beautiful movement, mesmerising even, on balance I'd prefer the watch to have a solid case back and reduce the height. Don't get me wrong, I love a display back... but preferably on a thinner watch.
Likewise, I am not seeing anything defensive.

The biggest obstacle to the c60 getting a display back is the diameter. At 42/3mm the additional height would unbalance the Beastie. The biggest gripes about the 42mm PO and the 43mm Supermarine for example are the height compared to the diameter.

When you look at the 45mm versions of these watches, they are much more balanced and sit better on the wrist.

I do understand the desire for a display back, and rather enjoy them myself, but not at the expense of the wearability of the watch.

Sent from my IRON using Tapatalk
RejZoR

Post by RejZoR »

Not necessarily. I also own Orient M-Force (Red Beast) which is just massive compared to many other watches and yet it sits on my wrist by far the best despite it's size and thickness (it's like 1/3 thicker than Steinhart Ocean One which I believe is around the size of C60).

I mean, if you don't like it, great. That's your choice and your preference. But my preference would be a clear caseback. My choice and my preference I cannot make because there is no such model. Do you see what I'm on about here?
Paul Drawmer
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 7

Post by Paul Drawmer »

Can't see the point of a display back on a diver - it compromises the purpose.
There's always time for one more.
RejZoR

Post by RejZoR »

People with 600m Omega divers disagree with you. And yeah, they come with clear caseback as well. Also, how many people who own diver watches actually dive? Not many at all.

I never dived with tanks and I own 1 watch with 300m rating, 5 dive watches with 200m rating. Then I have several with 100m rating (Casio Oceanus and the likes)...
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

It most likely comes down to the designers intent.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

RejZoR wrote:People with 600m Omega divers disagree with you. And yeah, they come with clear caseback as well. Also, how many people who own diver watches actually dive? Not many at all.
.... And of those that do 'dive' I imagine that in real terms WR of 100m would be more than sufficient for 99.9% of such 'divers'!

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK