Paul Drawmer
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 10

Re: Dial

Post by Paul Drawmer »

golfjunky wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:19 am
camdenhells wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:49 pm
I have a feeling Christopher ward will become a well know desirable watch company over the next ten years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No chance
:lol: My laugh of the day - thank you.
There's always time for one more.
Didier.O
Senior
Senior

Post by Didier.O »

camdenhells wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:01 am An applied twin flags logo would look better for sure , rolex have there “logo” and name on their dials , not sure if there’s enough space on a dial to have an applied logo plus Christopher ward on it
What i meant by my original post was i was proud of the fact i was wearing a Christopher ward watch and didn’t mind the name on the dial.

Dont mind the name on the dial either, I never thought of it negatively, but i like the twin flag too. And when I wrote applied flag, i meant on its own (like now), not with the added Christopher Ward below.
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

camdenhells wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 11:36 am
golfjunky wrote:
camdenhells wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:49 pm
I have a feeling Christopher ward will become a well know desirable watch company over the next ten years

No chance
Ten year is a long time

With all respect I’ve been here long enough to know a lot of us including myself find CW thinking they are a hidden gem and that we are in a secret club that is getting one over on all the wallys paying thousands for a watch, Rather than paying a few hundred for a CW that people say is just as good as or better (it’s not) The truth is that they are just another very good micro stepping stone brand.
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Bretling Aerospace Evo, Vinatge Azur, Vintage dressy Seiko & SBGX059
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I actually think.CW are rather better than a stepping stone.

It's rather like a woman settling for a decent quality Radley bag and giving up on a Chanel or Hermes. Some seem happy to pay for the luxury, whether or not there's a real difference in quality

It's the same with watches. I was happy to buy a speedmaster, and I love the look of the movement, but I don't really see a vast gap in quality from CW.

The cost level in between CW and Omega includes say, Oris, Raymond Weil, Longines and Tudor (unless that's a higher step already). Is there a real quality difference between CW and those brands, or just a price increase and a marketing budget?

I don't know. I would have liked an Aquis, or even a RW Freelancer diver, but they are more than I want to pay really, even used. Are they a lot better than a C60, or even the new Pro 300?
NationOfLaws
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by NationOfLaws »

I’ve owned an Oris and a Longines and I couldn’t see what the fuss was about with either. I’m keen to get some non-CW watches to diversify the collection but CW does great work at the price point.
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

Of course some of the markup is just for the badge but they are heralded for a reason imo
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Bretling Aerospace Evo, Vinatge Azur, Vintage dressy Seiko & SBGX059
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 3

Post by magicman »

I'm currently wearing a Mk 2 Trident.
I think the head itself is on a par with the Tudor Black bays I've owned and as good as my Longines hydroconquest.
If the new ones are improved and have a decent bracelet, then it could be better even.
My Omega Seamaster was certainly a big step up in quality but at 10x the price of my CW. Based on the current values.
I cant compare to a Rolex Sub, but is it worth 20x, I'll wait and see.

Regards Steve
For sale: Watch with half a face. For a limited time only.
NationOfLaws
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by NationOfLaws »

golfjunky wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 6:30 pm Of course some of the markup is just for the badge but they are heralded for a reason imo
Lots of people lionize things that aren’t good. Take for example Coldplay
These users thanked the author NationOfLaws for the post (total 2):
straplinejkbarnes
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

NationOfLaws wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:31 pm
golfjunky wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 6:30 pm Of course some of the markup is just for the badge but they are heralded for a reason imo
Lots of people lionize things that aren’t good. Take for example Coldplay
Now that has really made me laugh. 😂😂😂

Des
Tested in five positions with no back play whatsoever.
thomcat00
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by thomcat00 »

I’m really pleased with the quality of my CW watches. I got my first Rolex over 25 years ago, and my Omega was given to me more than ten years before I bought the DateJust. I’ve had time to appreciate the few better known brands I have and granted I don’t have experience with other watches at that tier. They are nice but I enjoy my CW watches more. YMMV
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

NationOfLaws wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:31 pm Lots of people lionize things that aren’t good. Take for example Coldplay
There’s a fun thread to be created from this comment - if watch brands were rock bands!

And for the record, I like Coldplay.

MVMT - the Nickelback of watches? Or is that an insult to Nickelback?
Andrew
“In the name of God, stop a moment, cease your work, look around you.” ~ Leo Tolstoy

C65 Trident Vintage | C65 AMGT LE | C63 Sealander (36mm)

Find me on Instagram @jkbarnes
camdenhells
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 1

Post by camdenhells »

I’ve just realised rolex use their logo as the 12 o’clock marker on some of their models leaving space for the wording underneath.
This could be done with a CW using the twin flags as the 12 o’clock marker on some models

camdenhells
Junior
Junior

Post by camdenhells »

camdenhells wrote:I’ve just realised rolex use their logo as the 12 o’clock marker on some of their models leaving space for the wording underneath.
This could be done with a CW using the twin flags as the 12 o’clock marker on some models

Somebody mentioned the cost of making an applied logo but this is all ready done with the hr markers say on the new sealander so it couldn’t cost that much more

NationOfLaws
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by NationOfLaws »

camdenhells wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:33 am
camdenhells wrote:I’ve just realised rolex use their logo as the 12 o’clock marker on some of their models leaving space for the wording underneath.

Somebody mentioned the cost of making an applied logo but this is all ready done with the hr markers say on the new sealander so it couldn’t cost that much more

This topic has been litigated at length in a handful of threads, but it’s the shape of the logo that’s at issue when trying to make it applied. Check out the “ What would make CW great?” thread for pages of armchair design and horology
camdenhells
Junior
Junior

Post by camdenhells »

NationOfLaws wrote:
camdenhells wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:33 am

This topic has been litigated at length in a handful of threads, but it’s the shape of the logo that’s at issue when trying to make it applied. Check out the “ What would make CW great?” thread for pages of armchair design and horology
Ok yes i see your point , i’ll take a look