Talk me out of the C63 Colchester

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
BUR70N
Senior
Senior

Talk me out of the C63 Colchester

Post by BUR70N »

Been looking for a decent under the radar watch and this seems to tick a few boxes with out it being a Garmin, I have a Apple Watch already so do I need another one like it.

But the Colchester I don’t have anything like this, only watch I have close to this is my TechnoMarine Cruise Night which I have had for 12 years.

Anything else which is close to this? Or does anyone have one to comment on if they like it or don’t and why etc?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
welshlad
CW-watches: 19

Re: Talk me out of the C63 Colchester

Post by welshlad »

Two immediate things to bear in mind with the Colchester:

1) No bracelet option. For some people this is a showstopper, for others it's no big deal.

2) The pop-out crown is cool, but it's not to everyone's liking. It can also be a bit fiddly if you have sausage fingers.

If neither of these points is an issue for you, then go for it. It's an excellent watch.
These users thanked the author welshlad for the post:
Gar787
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

The Colchester is a great option. Another one that flies under the radar and is down the Garmin/Adventure path would be the Lympstone. Either option is good though!
"The cure for anything is salt water - tears, sweat and the sea."
Isak Dinesen

Current CW = C65 Trident GMT, C65 Dartmouth, C60 Trident Ombré COSC LE, C65 Super Compressor, C63 Sealander Ukraine LE
Gar787
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 7

Post by Gar787 »

welshlad wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:00 pm Two immediate things to bear in mind with the Colchester:

1) No bracelet option. For some people this is a showstopper, for others it's no big deal.

2) The pop-out crown is cool, but it's not to everyone's liking. It can also be a bit fiddly if you have sausage fingers.

If neither of these points is an issue for you, then go for it. It's an excellent watch.
Spot on. The pop out crown, while very clever, is very fiddly and a feels a little cheap and flimsy. I always worry that if it ever pops out and takes a knock it will snap quite easily. But I guess that’s why it’s designed to fit into a lightweight watch. Also, even at 41mm I feel the watch wears somewhat smaller. I do like mine however and will be keeping it for a while anyway.
PHIL
BUR70N
Senior
Senior

Post by BUR70N »

Guess I will find out, have ordered one, went with the Black Rubber strap

These users thanked the author BUR70N for the post (total 3):
Stifrc51ownerMiniMpi
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 3

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

BUR70N wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:28 am Guess I will find out, have ordered one, went with the Black Rubber strap
Ah, and I was just about to talk you out of it. Guess I don’t need to now. :wink:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; wannabe travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
David. S
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Post by David. S »

BUR70N wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:34 pm Been looking for a decent under the radar watch and this seems to tick a few boxes with out it being a Garmin, I have a Apple Watch already so do I need another one like it.

But the Colchester I don’t have anything like this, only watch I have close to this is my TechnoMarine Cruise Night which I have had for 12 years.

Anything else which is close to this? Or does anyone have one to comment on if they like it or don’t and why etc?

Thanks

Like you I dont have another watch like the Colchester, and I really like it.
The dial design means it wears smaller than the dimensions would suggest and is incredibly light on the wrist, the carbon case and dial are gorgeous.

As others have mentioned the crown is fiddly to wind, its ok when it's pulled out further, to set the date or time, but winding is definitely tricky, I tend to give it around 10 winds and then put it on and let the rotor do the rest.

Hopefully you will get on with the crown, because the Colchester is such a good watch, I would go as far to say its my favourite CW (at the moment).

Enjoy your new watch.

David.
BUR70N
Senior
Senior

Post by BUR70N »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:
BUR70N wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:28 am Guess I will find out, have ordered one, went with the Black Rubber strap
Ah, and I was just about to talk you out of it. Guess I don’t need to now. :wink:
Haha, well I think I might have a little buyers remorse setting in Image

BUR70N
Senior
Senior

Post by BUR70N »

David. S wrote:
BUR70N wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:34 pm Been looking for a decent under the radar watch and this seems to tick a few boxes with out it being a Garmin, I have a Apple Watch already so do I need another one like it.

Thanks

Like you I dont have another watch like the Colchester, and I really like it.
The dial design means it wears smaller than the dimensions would suggest and is incredibly light on the wrist, the carbon case and dial are gorgeous.

As others have mentioned the crown is fiddly to wind, its ok when it's pulled out further, to set the date or time, but winding is definitely tricky, I tend to give it around 10 winds and then put it on and let the rotor do the rest.

Hopefully you will get on with the crown, because the Colchester is such a good watch, I would go as far to say its my favourite CW (at the moment).

Enjoy your new watch.

David.
Was one of the reason I went for the Colchester, due to it had several different elements that I don’t have in any of my watches.

I do hope the crown plays well with my fingers

I guess with the 60 days return policy then I can try and confirm, not purchased a new watch for sometime so very exciting in getting something different

These users thanked the author BUR70N for the post:
David. S
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 33
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

A couple of tips to dealing with the crown;-

1. Don't hand wind it. From stopped, wear it until it starts running (20-30 minutes for me), then set the date & time.

2. If you have to hand wind it, turn it over to have the caseback facing you, then wind. The profile of the underside of the case allows you to get a better purchase on the upper side of the crown, with your thumb (I use this method on many of my hand wind watches including, some years ago, an Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch).

NB> Advice given with the benefit of owning a similar C63 Sealander Elite.

Good luck.

Guy

Sent from my XPERIA 5 III using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Bahnstormer_vRS for the post:
BUR70N
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
BUR70N
Senior
Senior

Post by BUR70N »

Thanks for the tips, I have cancelled the order for now, just really wanting to make sure it is what I want when spending on a new watch.

David. S
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Post by David. S »

BUR70N wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:54 pm Thanks for the tips, I have cancelled the order for now, just really wanting to make sure it is what I want when spending on a new watch.

20220907_175822.jpg
20220907_175800.jpg
20220907_175725.jpg

Go on.....you know you want to :D

David.
These users thanked the author David. S for the post (total 2):
rc51ownerBUR70N
BUR70N
Senior
Senior

Post by BUR70N »

David. S wrote:
BUR70N wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:54 pm Thanks for the tips, I have cancelled the order for now, just really wanting to make sure it is what I want when spending on a new watch.

20220907_175822.jpg
20220907_175800.jpg
20220907_175725.jpg

Go on.....you know you want to :D

David.
Oh man it is so nice

These users thanked the author BUR70N for the post:
David. S