Discuss Christopher Ward watches
robert75
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2
LE-fourb: yes

Re: Re: C65 Aquitaine Collection - Released

Post by robert75 »

On other forums it’s been generally positive that the name has been removed so that can only be a good thing if the general public are now more interested in the watch.

I don’t really see any BP FF comparison here though it does have similarities to the Tag above as does a recent Longines release so it seems Tag has a lot of admirers out there.
wookiechew23
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 4

Post by wookiechew23 »

I've got mixed feelings on these new pieces, but I can see why some people really like them.

Personally, I like the switch to the logo - I see why some people think the dial looks a little empty now, but that might just because people are used to the full name being on there. I am very interested to see what the future of CW dials will look like - hopefully they just stick with this logo for the foreseeable future.

The sapphire bezel looks interesting, and I would love to see more photos of it. The bracelet also seems like a huge step up, and I like the lume blobs (compared to the batons).

Not a fan of most of the colors, with the exception of the blue and bronze. Also not a fan of the box crystal, but that might just be because the pictures make it seem really prominent.

Would be interested to see what the future dial/bezel colors are, and to see the initial reviews on the new bracelet!
Arun

C63 Sealander GMT, C63 Sapphire GMT COSC LE, C1 Bel Canto, C12 Twelve Ti
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Re: C65 Aquitaine Collection - Released

Post by missF »

A lot of the discussion around ‘Christopher Ward’ text on the dial or no revolves around what we individually like, and pitting that against what someone else likes, and presuming a solution for Christopher Ward the company. We then feel entitled to add ‘I don’t know why they didn’t do it my way’...

Well I’d guess that this new way (symbol and no name) has been chosen because CW see further than we do:

1. We on average on the forum may be of an age demographic that is not a target demographic for CW.
2. We don’t have the benefit of sales figures in hindsight, or projections for future sales. Nor do we know the results of opinion polls and soundings that CW have taken over the years.
3. In short, we may only know the views of those who express themselves loudly and well on Internet forums. CW may know better the views of those who actually buy their watches.
These users thanked the author missF for the post (total 9):
Kansas City Milkmanwookiechew23MattyyBrkovarsnbgcwaPaul DrawmerChris375Amor Vincit Omnia
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

And the green - I just can’t decide if I like the shade or not.
Concerning the green, I pulled these screen grabs from the video mvlov shared. I like the shade as it looks in this video. On CW’s website, it looks a little too 7-Up green to me. I also prefer his reference to it as moss green versus CW’s seagrass, but that’s just semantics. Oh, and it looks great on that brown strap he put it on!
mvlow wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:23 pm https://youtu.be/Zg6kARWOgAE
893B02C3-9409-4633-9C6F-9DD0462E71BB.jpeg
922705A8-AE4D-4B26-AC3D-3CD06E6D7BBD.jpeg
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post (total 2):
Thegreymanrc51owner
Drew
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

jkbarnes wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:32 pm
And the green - I just can’t decide if I like the shade or not.
Concerning the green, I pulled these screen grabs from the video mvlov shared. I like the shade as it looks in this video. On CW’s website, it looks a little too 7-Up green to me. I also prefer his reference to it as moss green versus CW’s seagrass, but that’s just semantics. Oh, and it looks great on that brown strap he put it on!
mvlow wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:23 pm https://youtu.be/Zg6kARWOgAE

893B02C3-9409-4633-9C6F-9DD0462E71BB.jpeg

922705A8-AE4D-4B26-AC3D-3CD06E6D7BBD.jpeg
Good point, JKB. The colouring looks very different (and nicer)
These users thanked the author Kansas City Milkman for the post:
jkbarnes
A1soknownas
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by A1soknownas »

missF wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:12 pm A lot of the discussion around ‘Christopher Ward’ text on the dial or no revolves around what we individually like, and pitting that against what someone else likes, and presuming a solution for Christopher Ward the company. We then feel entitled to add ‘I don’t know why they didn’t do it my way’...

Well I’d guess that this new way (symbol and no name) has been chosen because CW see further than we do:

1. We on average on the forum may be of an age demographic that is not a target demographic for CW.
2. We don’t have the benefit of sales figures in hindsight, or projections for future sales. Nor do we know the results of opinion polls and soundings that CW have taken over the years.
3. In short, we may only know the views of those who express themselves loudly and well on Internet forums. CW may know better the views of those who actually buy their watches.
I guess we feel the entitlement to comment as CW have made it up for discussion through how many iterations of their logo in the past. Even looking at the site now there are a number of different dial placements with recent releases.

Now they have stated they have settled there are bound to be thoughts as to how people see what might be a permanent move. Only once they have chosen something and stuck with it for a decent period of time will the questioning reduce I guess.

These discussions probably don't happen with other brands because they have logos/designs and generally stick to them.

Presumably CW have the data to back this choice and it will be a success. But that then does raise the thought if any of the previous logo decisions were a mistake and whether this is another before they change again! Only time will tell.
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

A1soknownas wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:13 pm
Presumably CW have the data to back this choice and it will be a success. But that then does raise the thought if any of the previous logo decisions were a mistake and whether this is another before they change again! Only time will tell.
Yeah, my comment kind of suggested that there’s only one right way to do a CW logo, and that CW know that better than we do. However, I do believe in the value CW see in this forum. I believe they value the ideas we express here. That’s one of many reasons I like it here. I’d never say we should stop expressing and discussing our ideas. :thumbup:

Even though any design anywhere will be a compromise of ideas, I think that CW have the added squeeze of Chris Ward having left the company. I personally think that flags, no text is the best compromise here.
These users thanked the author missF for the post (total 2):
A1soknownasChris375
ssholloway21
Senior
Senior

Post by ssholloway21 »

Okay, I seem be flip flopping more than a politician. Check out this review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyLzkFcHdmU

This is growing on me. I would still prefer the name at the 12 as it still looks bare, it just needs something. The color on this is awesome. This is the beet review so far.
Qubo
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by Qubo »

I am warming up to it. It’s a watch that I expect will stand out in certain colours or with certain strap combinations. I echo that some of the models shown don’t stand out from the crowd.

We know what CW delivers in terms of value, so whilst I don’t know if there are any other colour combinations in the pipeline, I think it offers an attractive platform for some pretty exciting future models.

My $0.02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

ssholloway21 wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:10 am Okay, I seem be flip flopping more than a politician. Check out this review:

This is growing on me. I would still prefer the name at the 12 as it still looks bare, it just needs something. The color on this is awesome. This is the beet review so far.
I really want to like that color combination. From the pics, I just couldn’t get there. Sadly, this video is only reinforcing that.
Drew
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

jkbarnes wrote:
JasperCat wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:30 pm These look even more gorgeous than the CW website conveys (as usual).... beautiful pieces :clap:
I’ll wait for Ferg to buy one so I can see the watch at its best in a pic! Image

(Seriously, he captures CWs at their absolute best.)
Thanks Andrew ;)
The Green/Green Automatic is my possibility at some stage but it will be at least the end of the year before I do.
I might get some showroom photos before that if I can tie in a visit with a trip I have planned for September.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

MiniMpi wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:18 am Thanks Andrew ;)
The Green/Green Automatic is my possibility at some stage but it will be at least the end of the year before I do.
I might get some showroom photos before that if I can tie in a visit with a trip I have planned for September.
It’s the green that’s grabbed my attention, too. I like the idea of a watch that’ll match the color of my MX-5, as ridiculous as that sounds! :lol: And I’ve got a black dial already covered.
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post (total 2):
MiniMpiJasperCat
Drew
ssholloway21
Senior
Senior

Post by ssholloway21 »

jkbarnes wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:17 am
ssholloway21 wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:10 am Okay, I seem be flip flopping more than a politician. Check out this review:

I really want to like that color combination. From the pics, I just couldn’t get there. Sadly, this video is only reinforcing that.
I plan to attend the Worn and Wound show in Chicago (July) and looking forward to trying these on. I do not think I will purchase. The bracelet has a dramatic taper. Curious how that will feel on wrist. I am waiting for the v4 Trident late this year or early next and hoping they make a 41mm C63 as the 39mm is just too small for me.
These users thanked the author ssholloway21 for the post:
jkbarnes
bananapants
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 8

Post by bananapants »

The C65 line has been my favorite, and now I regret only keeping one of the 5 that have passed through my watch box.

The pros, for me:
1. The blue is nice
2. Case size and design look good
3. Bracelet looks nice
4. The bronze model looks pretty good - bronze and blue works for me

Cons:
1. The green is not for me
2. The bezel on the auto models... something is not right about it, looks toy-ish maybe
3. The white sand dial does not jibe for me on any of the models

I never had a problem with the logo... and now I'm not sure I love the twin flags on its own.

I'm sure this design is going to tick all the right boxes for some folks, but I'm glad it doesn't for me this time around as there are a couple other models that I'm hoping to add to my collection soon and my wallet will be all the happier for it.
cwa
Senior
Senior

Post by cwa »

jkbarnes wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:20 am
MiniMpi wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:18 am Thanks Andrew ;)
It’s the green that’s grabbed my attention, too. I like the idea of a watch that’ll match the color of my MX-5, as ridiculous as that sounds! :lol: And I’ve got a black dial already covered.
MX5 owners LE perhaps?
Surely as the highest selling “sports car” in history and having the biggest single marque club membership in the world someone will want to make that happen!

Then again we’d probably argue which generation was the best 🤣
These users thanked the author cwa for the post:
jkbarnes