Discuss Christopher Ward watches

Do you think that Christopher Ward watches are getting too expensive?

Poll ended at Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:38 pm

Yes
16%
No
9%
They are no longer the bargain they once were
26%
I will only now buy them during a sale
18%
Depends on what other watch brand they are being compared with?
20%
They are getting too rich for my pocket!
12%

Total votes: 102

The Laird
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by The Laird »

MAD AS A BOX OF FROGS!!!
DSHall
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 22
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Do you think CWL watches are getting too expensive?

Post by DSHall »

No.
Richard
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Re: Do you think CWL watches are getting too expensive?

Post by Richard »

Too expensive?? maybe no.

But the prices they are charging nowadays push the brand in a whole different league.
The new C700 at 799 is pushing the 1k limit in euro's, and that is some serious cash.

Too be honest, I don't know if they belong up there.
It's out of my price range for sure.
CW count: 6 Seiko count: 11 Casio count: 1 Citizen count: 1 G-Shock count: 2.
Unofficial Seiko ambassador.
DanC

Post by DanC »

While they're not the fantastic bargain they once were, CW watches are still reasonable. I like my C8 just as much as I like my Breitling & the C8 was much less expensive.
Have: C8 Mk I
Want: C8 Mk II, C9 Auto
The Raffles
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 3

Post by The Raffles »

Having posted a reply on one of the other threads ref the C700 and how tempted I am to buy one, you do have to ask yourself if 800 notes worth of time piece strapped to your wrist is really worth it...!
But compared to some of the other brands I suppose they are still reletively cheap, but like all things when demand is growing so does the price, will be interesting to see what happens in the coming months, still upwards or more sales...!

Matt
jack
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by jack »

Hello Laird!

This question is an old one for this forum. I know because I've skulked around here since 2007 when I bought my two CWL's. I haven't bought any since.

Every time a new collection is released this debate, understandably, takes off.

It really depends on several different factors. Relative wealth and disposable income would play its part in creating an opinion I suppose. Also what you might consider as 'value'. If you consider that the watches (at least some of them) compare well with say, Stowa and Archimede and also better known mid rangers such as Longines and Tissot then they do represent good value in spite of increases. For instance, I think the Trident Pro compares well with the equivallent Longines Hydroconquest. I have the latter, but to be honest, the Trident looks as if it is comparable and in that case very good value at maybe £250 (more??) less to pay. :)

Another factor would be whether you would be happy to compromise; must it definitely be the IWC, or would the C9 do the trick? It's a very nice watch for a fraction of the money.

All in all, CWL still look a good proposition.

And the C700, wel this has b een comopared a bit with Oris etc, but for me it stacks up well against the Tag Huer Carrera. If it is as good as it looks, then this one will be very good value indeed, even though it looks expensive to some.

Good question! Thanks. :)

Cheers,
Jack.
markuk
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by markuk »

oh this is such a good thread.

" No "

was my answer. I think the sale just gone has really shown the prices as just fantastic to the faithfull followers. As I have said before I wounder just how many of the sale bought watches were from Forum followers/users.

I have a watch on my wish list and although it's just gone up £15.. I am still not put off but would be nice if some thing was thrown our way like free shipping ( to make up for the price increase) one day and I am sure in a few months I will place an order for it.

As for the more expensive watches in the range well the game is changing.. the watches are becoming abit more bespoke I guess and for that we are expecting a bigger price tag.

I would like to see CW watches out there more with the bigger names.. not at the level in price but just abit more respect from watch people for the band and what it stands for..

We could all be sat at the early part of the CW story and in time you never know.. As long as the designs are not too wacky and over the top and not too many coming out all the time.. I would think the CW prices will steadly rise in line with demand and the quality and design.. I certainly can't see me having like 20 CW watches.. I have now got 4 which considering I had none 3 weeks ago :lol: but another 2 over time will see me done.. unless I see a nice sale watch or NN that tickles my fancy other than that that's me done then..
rcherryuk
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by rcherryuk »

Hey, another poll, but what a good 'un!

I could tick every box in the poll, as it truly depends on what mood I'm in, or what bills I've just paid :D

Rob
Rob

Watches are like Dictionaries; the worst is better than none, and the best cannot be expected to go quite true.
Samuel Johnson
CornishDave
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by CornishDave »

I think we had this debate when prices went up last year. Are CW becoming too expensive well I guess that depends on your income. I cannot afford to spend £800 on a watch, so it matters not to me that it is as good as one costing twice as much from elsewhere. I said last year I would stick to sales in future and I have done this having purchased a C2 at a real bargain price and taken over a C8 from Village, given that I was happy to pay his seconhand price, but I would not have purchased a new one. I will make an exception for this years LE, but that is around the £350 mark which is the upper end of what I am willing to pay for a watch.

The new Altus may fall within my price range, but that is the only CW watch in my budget that I can see myself buying other than the LE. So the answer for me is CW are becoming too expensive for me, and they are not quite the bargain they were. For others they will still represent excellent value for money.

Dave
mrs j
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 10

Post by mrs j »

CornishDave wrote:I think we had this debate when prices went up last year. Are CW becoming too expensive well I guess that depends on your income. I cannot afford to spend £800 on a watch, so it matters not to me that it is as good as one costing twice as much from elsewhere. I said last year I would stick to sales in future and I have done this having purchased a C2 at a real bargain price and taken over a C8 from Village, given that I was happy to pay his seconhand price, but I would not have purchased a new one. I will make an exception for this years LE, but that is around the £350 mark which is the upper end of what I am willing to pay for a watch.

The new Altus may fall within my price range, but that is the only CW watch in my budget that I can see myself buying other than the LE. So the answer for me is CW are becoming too expensive for me, and they are not quite the bargain they were. For others they will still represent excellent value for money.

Dave

+1
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

I think the problem is that Swiss watches are getting too expensive, rather than CWL are getting too expensive.

As I posted in another thread, the exchange rate has altered dramatically in the past 3 years, meaning that everything sourced from Switzerland (and paid for in CHF) has virtually doubled in price. CWL has not doubled their prices in the same timeframe, and I would suggest they have not risen as sharply as some other brands.

Therefore, if any of us want to continue to collect swiss watches, these are the table-stakes. :shock:

At the same time, CWL has broadened the range to include some more expensive ranges (C90, C700 etc). Although these are more expensive than the core of the range, they still represent strong value compared with their competitors.
Richard
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

downer wrote:I think the problem is that Swiss watches are getting too expensive, rather than CWL are getting too expensive.

As I posted in another thread, the exchange rate has altered dramatically in the past 3 years, meaning that everything sourced from Switzerland (and paid for in CHF) has virtually doubled in price. CWL has not doubled their prices in the same timeframe, and I would suggest they have not risen as sharply as some other brands.

Therefore, if any of us want to continue to collect swiss watches, these are the table-stakes. :shock:

At the same time, CWL has broadened the range to include some more expensive ranges (C90, C700 etc). Although these are more expensive than the core of the range, they still represent strong value compared with their competitors.
I think downer has pretty much nailed this one. All things being equal, CWL prices really haven't gone up like the others.

The perception, in my view, is that the price range has expanded with the introduction of more complications and more expensive movements and gives the appearance that CWL is more expensive. As followers of the brand we tend to look at the new models and not the range as a whole. The core models are still there and are exceptional values. The C3,C4, C5, C6, C60,C600, C7, C70, C8, C9 all represent excellent values overall by themselves. They look even better when compared to other brands.

When new prospects are exposed to CWL they can better see the value when shopping around and comparing. The more expensive models draw a different customer as well as showing what CWL is capable of building. This, much like a presentation piece is good for the overall representation of the line.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Mortis
Forum Menace
Forum Menace
CW-watches: 12

Post by Mortis »

I generally agree with Kip and Downer in that CWL are not as bad as most others for the rises (and are still very, very competitive). I also agree that the value of the Swiss Franc has made rises inevitable. Rob, of course, nails it in that "all of the above" is needed as an option in the poll! :lol:

However, I do think that the "average" CWL has crept up in price.

By that I don't just mean the introduction of C90s and C700s which cost closer to a grand than a monkey, but also the end of ranges like the C3 and C6 which were very affordable at the entry level. At least the C5 remains as a "flagship" product (and one of the cheapest autos available) and its quartz variation keeps a low-cost option available but overall it seems to me that the low end of the CWL range is now the £400 pilot watch, and this watch was comfortably middle of the offerings when I started my love affair with the brand a couple of years ago.
The Laird
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by The Laird »

MAD AS A BOX OF FROGS!!!
The Raffles
Senior
Senior

Post by The Raffles »

Hi All,

Having a sleepless night re-thinking this very subject and reading the latest postings I think we all have to agree with some of the comments made so far, the price rises aren’t that too heavy, the Swiss Franc...... etc etc...!
CW is still a young brand compared to the others out there in the market (Rolex, Breitling, TAG etc) but are moving in the right direction towards those (perceived) flagship brands in looks and quality.
And as we know to take on these big boys and deliver the same if not better quality you need to be sourcing and using the best all the time......which will of course cost.

CW advertises and sells in a different market (the internet) where the others advertise on the internet but sell in the high street in the big flashy stores with their prices to match, so it would be interesting to see what the selling price of a CW would be if Harrods were to start selling them alongside the Rolex’s and TAG’s?

A lot dearer than current prices I bet.

For us CW collectors, I suppose they are still a best kept secret, but as the word spreads (and I’m sure we are all guilty of passing on the great news of CW watches to friends and work colleagues) the prices will rise, but thankfully in small bites.

So all in all buy, buy, buy because in 20 years time when CW’s do sit in Harrods at £8k+ each at least we can say “we were there at the beginning and bought CHEAP” as well as that just look at it as an investment, look at what some of the original Rolex’s sell for now out there in the market, as Del Boy always said “One day we will be millionaires”

Matt