Discuss Christopher Ward watches
TXAG96
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2
LE-two: yes

To wind, run down, or pull the crown. That is the question

Post by TXAG96 »

In the past, I've put my unworn automatic watches on a watch winder. I have one on my wrist and 2 in the winder. I just added a fourth watch, and now I have to decide to either buy another winder or store one some other way between wears. If I don't add another winder, is it best to pull the crown stopping the movement and storing the reserve or to let the watch wind down and stop? Is the answer different for a hand-wind movement? It would certainly be convenient to just pull the crown, and reset the time when I'm ready to wear it. I've read about the oil settling in the movement, but it seems that keeping it running also puts more wear on the parts.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to best store an unworn watch (unworn meaning that it might sit for up to a week or two between wears)?
Oris BC 3 Day/Date
CW C8SWT
CW C20LE-SWS
Hamilton Khaki Field Mechanical
CW S30-ROM-SWK Victoria Deco
markuk
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 5

Re: To wind, run down, or pull the crown. That is the question

Post by markuk »

I would love to know what people do I personaly think letting it wind out till the spring finishes is better than holding it halfway.. but lets see what people say..
robinbarke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by robinbarke »

Allow th watch to run down. This will reduce pressure and thus wear on all components. Not all autos stop when the winder is pulled fully out and very few hand wound watches do. Pull the wider out fully to change the hands and generally for no other purpose.

With quartz it is different. Pulling the winder out fully usually stops the watch and saves battery consumption.

Robin
C9GMT C8 Mk 1 C5 Malvern 2011 C9FLE C50 Malvern COSC C60 FLE2012 2013FLE
Oris Big Crown, Hublot, Rolex Datejust, Nomos Tangomat.

See my book, Aynho Junction, in the News section of http://www.robinbarkerphotography.com
Yoda
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by Yoda »

It is not a good idea to pull the crown out on any watches. Let them wind down and restart them as required.

The reason for this is the drying out of the movement and ingression of dirt.
Indigo fugit

Yoda, bringing light to the dark side.
TXAG96
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2
LE-two: yes

Post by TXAG96 »

Thanks for the reply. Wind down it is then! My manual is a ETA 2804, which hacks, but your point is duely noted that most manuals won't stop with the crown pulled out.
Oris BC 3 Day/Date
CW C8SWT
CW C20LE-SWS
Hamilton Khaki Field Mechanical
CW S30-ROM-SWK Victoria Deco
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

Fully agree. So long as you use them reasonably regularly (say once per month), allowing the watch to wind down has to be the best long-term treatment for a watch. It will also (I believe) extend the service interval, compared to running 24x7 using a winder.
Richard