To GMT or not to GMT, that is the question

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
biscuit141
Junior
Junior

To GMT or not to GMT, that is the question

Post by biscuit141 »

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and in the process of sorting out which watch I want to buy, Trident Pro 600 43mm for sure but black/black or black/white and do I want GMT or not. I was thinking GMT would be cool/fun because I travel around the world for work 5-6 times a year. However the first 15 minutes of the Trident Pro's bezel being a timer bezel versus a GMT bezel is kind of turning me off. Plus I'm not sure if the GMT function would affect the reliability of the watch, in that it would be one more thing to go wrong? Looking for your thoughts.
Shooter723
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Re: To GMT or not to GMT, that is the question

Post by Shooter723 »

biscuit141 wrote:Hi all, I'm new to the forum and in the process of sorting out which watch I want to buy, Trident Pro 600 43mm for sure but black/black or black/white and do I want GMT or not. I was thinking GMT would be cool/fun because I travel around the world for work 5-6 times a year. However the first 15 minutes of the Trident Pro's bezel being a timer bezel versus a GMT bezel is kind of turning me off. Plus I'm not sure if the GMT function would affect the reliability of the watch, in that it would be one more thing to go wrong? Looking for your thoughts.
I find gmt watchs to be a pain..
CW C9 5day 40mm white face black leather strap,CW Trident pro 600, Omega seamaster gmt, Orient m-force black, Orient m- force orange, ROLEX day date presidents bracelet , Seiko sarb65, Lumi-nox 8150, to many others to list
biscuit141
Junior
Junior

Post by biscuit141 »

Yeah, I'm wondering if the half diver/half GMT bezel I am undecided about and additional cost are not worth the novelty of a feature I honestly won't use that often.
Tyke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Tyke »

Buy the straight C60 pro 600........ Then it gives you the excuse to get the C8 UTC later as your 'gmt' travel watch.
biscuit141
Junior
Junior

Post by biscuit141 »

I like any excuse to buy new watches. Wait, I'm trying to pare down my collection! We will see how long this lasts. Now if only I could find a good deal on a black/black from the clearance sale. I can't get on the for sale forum yet as I'm too new. Haven't seen the black pop up on watchrecon either.
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by FloridaPhil »

Unless you are a frequent (weekly) international traveler, I honestly don't see the purpose of a GMT watch other than you can say it's a GMT watch. <shrug>. I mean, how hard is it to add or subtract x number of hours? I'd save the money.
WatchChat on Facebook
The friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.
ziphos
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 7

Post by ziphos »

I travelled with my GMT watch over Christmas. I found that the GMT complication on the ETA movements actually makes changing time zones harder rather than easier. Don't get me wrong it's a great watch, but the standard is just as useful what travelling. YMMV.

Pete
CW C60 pro 300, C60 pro 600, C60 pro 600 GMT, C60 Titanium V2, C65 Trident Classic, C7 Rapide, C63
Omega Speedmaster Professional, Speedmaster Racing, Seamaster (1950's)
Breitling 2x Aerospace
Also: Borealis Bulova Casio Scurfa
CBMVic20
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 3

Post by CBMVic20 »

I've got both a C60 Pro and a C60 GMT. Of the two, I much rather prefer the C60 and the GMT rarely gets any use. Things didn't get off to a good start when I bought it and the GMT hand was off so it had to be sent back for a repair (see my thead here) so this has a lot to do with it too as it kinda put me off from the beginning. It's a lovely watch though and genuinely useful when I travel to places that are 7+ hours way so I can tell at a glance what time it is without having to think.

Given the choice between the two, I'd definitely go for the normal C60 Pro and save the cash.
CW C9 SH21 | C60 Apex SH21 | C65 SH21
Ernst Benz Chronoscope DLC
Oris WilliamsF1 Day Date 2004
Phoibos Leviathan DLC
Seiko 5 Sports Orange "Baby" Monster
Tag Aquaracer | F1 Panda

Too many watches, not enough time :(
biscuit141
Junior
Junior

Post by biscuit141 »

Thanks. Hearing these kind of comments is helpful.
Scrogg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Scrogg »

I bought my GMT purely on looks 8)

PaulWB
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 62
LE-two: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by PaulWB »

There is always the C900 Worldtimer.

https://www.christopherward.co.uk/catal ... worldtimer
C1, C2, C3, C5, C6, C8, C9, C11, W6, C7/C70, 2009 FLE, 2012 FLE Red, 2013 FLE, 2015 FLE, C9 JH2, C900 WT

Member CWL Double Figures Club
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by TheBeatles »

I'm not too bothered about the GMT function. I only travel abroad twice a year and I'm quite clever at adding or subtracting 5/6 hours from current time :D

But Wera found me a red/white and a green/white GMT 600. I've wanted those 2 colour combinations for ages so bought both whilst I had the chance.
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
Watchamacallit
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 4

Post by Watchamacallit »

I have had the same question/dilemma over the years. In that I wanted a GMT for the occasional travel and to track one of either:
1) my local 24 hour time
2) true GMT time
3) office/place in a different part of the world

What I have learned is that any dive watch with a rotating bezel works well enough when traveling through airport layovers and such, in that the minute time setting on the bezel can be used a hour reference. It can be a little confusing at first so it helps to rotate the watch case so that the twelve-o'clock-pip/60-minute-marking on the bezel is straight up when reading the correct local hour and then rotate the watch case back to normal position to read off the minutes. So as one transits through connecting airports the watch can be quickly set to the local time via the bezel with no need to touch the watch stem or reset the movement until arriving at your final destination. The other 3 usage examples are such an easy mental exercise that the GMT functionality is not really needed. But I would still want a GMT if the balance of the dial and hands were good. Since some GMT hands stick out like sore thumbs and others do not provide enough contrast against the hour/minute hands.

As for the timer/GMT combo bezel, I can understand why many do not like it because of less visual balance. But I rather like the functionality of this combo bezel since I would often use mine as a minute timer. Where the 15 minutes of tick marks makes it easier to read short timing sessions when the difference between 6 and 7 minutes means a lot more than the difference between 46 and 47 minutes. It might take a little more mental energy to determine that the 14 hour mark equates to 35 minutes but the functionality is still there. And the short span of tick marks should provide a better overall alignment to make counting easier for the whole 60 minute range. In short I would not give up minute timing capability just because it has a GMT hand.
Vansflyer
Senior
Senior

Post by Vansflyer »

I don't travel much anymore but when I did I took a watch that either had dual time or one that you change the hour hand independently, as in... not moving the minute hand when you turn the crown. Get on the plane and spin the hour, job done and simple maths to work out GMT, BST etc. More tricky was using the slide rule to convert 2000 baht to £. The GMT units look nice but I really don't get the purpose.
Summit, Seiko SQ100, Alfex Moonphase, Ingersoll "Triumph","Tin Tin" watch. Seiko 7T39, Navitimer, B1, Aerospace Adv, Citizen Red Arrows, Alfa Branded Mitsumi, Moonphase, C60 Pro SH21, C9 J Hour, C70 VW4. C60 Trident 300. Tudor Pelagos.
biscuit141
Junior
Junior

Post by biscuit141 »

Scrogg wrote:I bought my GMT purely on looks 8)

This looks awesome. If the new GMT looked like this it would be a tough decision. Love those GMT style bezels.

Thanks for all the advice. My search will continue for one without the GMT function I think.