There's Camel Vintage Oak and then there's Camel Vintage Oak

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
mikewastaken

There's Camel Vintage Oak and then there's Camel Vintage Oak

Post by mikewastaken »

Interesting observation. Around March of this year I purchased a C63 Sealander in green with the camel vintage oak leather strap. This week, I took delivery of a C63 GMT in white with, ostensibly, the same camel vintage oak leather strap. Take a look at the photos, it is quite a different product. Did I miss something? Was this a well known/advertised change?
PXL_20221027_212102165.jpg
PXL_20221027_212042691.jpg
PXL_20221027_212035042.jpg
PXL_20221027_163958874.jpg
These users thanked the author mikewastaken for the post (total 2):
JasperCatViognier
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Re: There's Camel Vintage Oak and then there's Camel Vintage Oak

Post by tikkathree »

Hmm. Have you spoken with Customer Services about this? I know that with any natural product such as leather there's always an element of "colours may vary" but you've got you've got two very different biscuits or varieties of chocolate there. I guess the question is whether you reject one colour as not suitable/not what you expected.
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
Some other brands
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

For what it's worth, the lighter coloured one of those two straps matches what I have received as a camel strap previously.
Qubo
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by Qubo »

I noticed that as well when I ordered just the strap a couple of months ago. The pics on the website correctly display color and texture but in the flesh the difference was bigger than anticipated. The thing I can't get my head around is the stitching on the new strap, why is the "angle" the same on both the left and right hand side? You would think they would mirror the left and right hand sides as it's stitched at a small angle.
These users thanked the author Qubo for the post:
rc51owner
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

While my experience is not as dramatic as the photos you shared, I have noticed that the current version of the vintage strap seems a lot different from an older version I have. The colors are more or less the same, but the “vintagey” aspect is different. Don’t get me wrong, I still like the strap. I just like the older version much better
Andrew
“In the name of God, stop a moment, cease your work, look around you.” ~ Leo Tolstoy

C65 Trident Vintage | C65 AMGT LE | C63 Sealander (36mm)

Find me on Instagram @jkbarnes
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by ajax87 »

Mike, I don’t recall any announcement being made about a change. Perhaps the supplier changed, or maybe it’s just the variation in the available materials?

I noticed the same. My pic below shows 2 camel vintage oak leather straps. The one on the left purchased within the last month, the one on the right purchased Feb 2021. There is a good amount of patination on the older strap, but you can see the difference in the color and stitching just like yours.

I’m happy with both. I didn’t intend it, but it gives me slightly different strap options :D

C24F46B2-F34F-435B-895A-4497B31C6850.jpeg
Alex
C5A Mk1|C60 Sapphire, Abyss|C65 SC, 316L LE|C63 Auto 36 & 39, GMT|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster mk40|Speedmaster racing|Hamilton Intramatic chrono|Tissot|Timex|RZE
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 36
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

^^^^ You're all absolutely correct, gents.

The current (new?) Vintage Oak straps are subtly different to the previous ones, of which I have several in Camel, Brown and Black both 22mm and 20mm. Back in the summer I picked up, new from CW, a green one and immediately noticed the following differences;-

1. Slightly deeper, softer feel to the top surface, almost like Nubuck.
2. The underside / lining is more like a soft suede, as opposed to smooth calf.
3. There is a retaining loop for the second, floating keeper to limit how far it can wander away from the buckle towards the watch.
4. The stitching clearly uses a thicker, off white thread.

All of these I put down to a specification change or upgrade, perhaps associated, as suggested by Alex, with a change of supplier.

However, the most important change / benefit for me, which no-one has yet mentioned, is a change in the length (on my green one).

The total length is the same as before but, whereas previously the straps were 80mm / 125mm long it is now 85mm / 120mm long.

This 5mm change in the length of the short, buckle section allows the buckle to sit further round and the buckle to sit more centrally on the underside of my wrist, with the effect that the watch head doesn't seem to wander around my wrist, away from me. A winner. :clap: :clap:

Is this change of length applicable to the Camel, and other, coloured straps as well?

Guy
These users thanked the author Bahnstormer_vRS for the post (total 4):
ajax87JasperCatJcalder68Viognier
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by ajax87 »

^^^ Good catch, Guy. I didn’t notice before, but just confirmed the old one is 125/80 and the new is 120/85.

Unfortunately either way it’s a little too long for my skinny wrist. I have both on a bader style deployment clasp, and the change doesn’t seem to make an impact to me.
These users thanked the author ajax87 for the post:
Bahnstormer_vRS
Alex
C5A Mk1|C60 Sapphire, Abyss|C65 SC, 316L LE|C63 Auto 36 & 39, GMT|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster mk40|Speedmaster racing|Hamilton Intramatic chrono|Tissot|Timex|RZE
Bahnstormer_vRS

^^^^ Thanks for confirming the new ones are 85mm / 120mm, Alex.

It gives me confidence to buy in the future.

Guy
These users thanked the author Bahnstormer_vRS for the post:
ajax87

mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by mvlow »

Looking at the various colors of the vintage oak straps on the CW website, the color of the new one they sent you closely matches the "brown" vintage oak strap and not the camel vintage oak. It's obvious from your picture they sent you the right style of strap, just the wrong color. I had this happen to me a couple of years ago. When I pointed out to CW customer service they had sent me the wrong color strap they said they had run out of the camel vintage at the time. They went ahead and sent me two of their nice Nato straps and told me to keep the wrong colored leather strap. I was pleased with their customer service as they did their best to make things right. If you contact customer service I'm sure they will send you the correct colored strap if they have it in stock.

Screen Shot 2022-10-28 at 4.26.03 PM.png
These users thanked the author mvlow for the post:
MiniMpi
Malcolm

CW C60 Vintage Hamilton Khaki Field Sinn 104 CW C65 Vintage GMT Monta Oceanking Elliot Brown Holton
Jcalder68
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by Jcalder68 »

Quick question - does the newer strap have a small ribbon to keep one of the retainers from drifting too far along the strap?
If so, then this style has been made by a totally different manufacturer (as far as I am aware). As a result, the leathers they source are likely to be very different from the original manufacturer.
If this is not the case, individual pieces of leather, even those cut from the same hide, can vary massively in colour, feel and texture. I’ve made dozens of my own leather straps and colour-matching is always something I am aware of, especially if I am making a gift for family/friends. So long as both buckle and tail piece match each other then I am not too fussed.
Hope this helps,
C
CW Watches - Malvern, Dartmouth, Lympstone, Sandhurst, Elite 1000, c60 300 Quartz.
Recently started hand making most of the leather straps you’ll see on my watches, happy to consider bespoke order for forum members.
mikewastaken

Post by mikewastaken »

Thanks all for the input and insights! Meant to follow up with this earlier. As you can see, the differing construction on the underside.
PXL_20221029_215006040.MP.jpg
Bahnstormer_vRS

Jcalder68 wrote:Quick question - does the newer strap have a small ribbon to keep one of the retainers from drifting too far along the strap?

C
Yes

Guy

Sent from my XPERIA 5 III using Tapatalk

mikewastaken

Post by mikewastaken »

Just a quick update - CW is sending out another camel strap for me, gratis. Happy chappy, well done CW (as expected).
These users thanked the author mikewastaken for the post (total 2):
MiniMpiwelshlad
mikewastaken

Post by mikewastaken »

UPDATE: *throws hands up* Well, I don't know!
PXL_20221107_154633755 (1).jpg
PXL_20221107_154556131.jpg
These users thanked the author mikewastaken for the post:
JAFO