Discuss Christopher Ward watches
eggtronics
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

The thing I love about automatics is...

Post by eggtronics »

The fact like it is a mini machine on your wrist, which is completely dependant on you to survive. A quartz is all like "yo, I don't need you, just leave me in my box and I'll keep on going no matter what". But an automatic, it wants and NEEDS to be worn every couple days at least in order to keep going. Just my personal feeling on autos... don't get me wrong, I have a quartz C2 Lido which I love. But it's just not quite as special as my C5!

What do you guys think? Why do you prefer autos to quartz?
When I see a watch, the last thing I see is the time

Watch It All About
The WIAA Shop

I've always got loads of watches for sale, PM me to see what I've got available right now!
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 147
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Re: The thing I love about automatics is...

Post by Kip »

Oh no!..... debate time again.... :silent:
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by scooter »

I don't like quartz watches.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
ianblyth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 19
LE-five: Yes
LE-six: Yes

Post by ianblyth »

eggtronics wrote:A quartz is all like "yo, I don't need you, just leave me in my box and I'll keep on going no matter what". But an automatic, it wants and NEEDS to be worn every couple days at least in order to keep going.
So quartz is like a cat and an automatic is like a dog?

(That should fuel the debate. :lol: )

I have both quartz and automatics and it is how the watch looks and feels that is important to me. Having said that some days when I am wearing a quartz watch I feel guilty when my arm is moving and I realise I am depriving an automatic of my movement. But I have a few winders to assuage my guilt. :D
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." Anais Nin
Uncle Bill
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12
Location: Mid-Sussex, just North of South Downs National Park

Post by Uncle Bill »

Do I prefer autos, quartz or handwound, if you don't mind! An auto is dependant on my arm movement and is stroked and caressed all day (sort of...) A quartz is aloof and cool, only requiring an intimate visit to its interior to give new life, about every three years or so. A handwound, on the other hand, needs approaching with gentle fingers every morning and having its tick listened to beside my ear (almost invariably) before securing carefully with a band of leather.

Bless!

And they all look good, don't they?... UB :)
Let us hope all politicians are masochists, that they may truly enjoy our fondest wishes...
xtriple
Forum gobshite
CW-watches: 3

Post by xtriple »

I guess I'd better put forward a case for the Quartz watches here as I'm regarded as a "Quartz lover". I love the fact that unlike an auto, a quartz is sat in your watch box like a puppy, eager for your return with it's little tail wagging consistently just waiting, waiting...

Whereas autos are aloof, cold things with an attitude that says "well, if you can't be bothered with me, I can't be bothered to keep going. Wake me up when you get home and I'll see if I want to play".

I love my SMP quartz the very out of all my watches, and that includes the Speedy-just something about it that is incredibly appealing. Lorn, for a watch heathen, feels exactly the same about hers and rarely wears anything else.
CW C3 CWS, C13 GWT, 2012 FLE. Tag Heuer. Citizen. Tissot Tudor. Breitling Colt + SuperOcean. Orient SK. Deep Blue. Seiko X2. Steinhart Ocean 1. Timex X3. MuDu. Longines. Yema. Omega Speedmaster +Seamaster SMP. Roamer. Sully. Bulova. Ingersol.
poppydoodlesdad
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by poppydoodlesdad »

What pet does that make Kinetic and Eco-drive then?

Sent from my GuyPhone using Tapatalk
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Some watches
ianblyth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 19
LE-five: Yes
LE-six: Yes

Post by ianblyth »

poppydoodlesdad wrote:What pet does that make Kinetic and Eco-drive then?

Sent from my GuyPhone using Tapatalk
A budgie and a hamster.
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." Anais Nin
julywest
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by julywest »

Depends on the day. I have both (in multiples) and it just depends on what I am doing etc.
Movements are a choice and you can be bi movement just not at same moment in time (get it rofl).
eggtronics
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by eggtronics »

Xtriple: I like your illustration! And julywest, I agree. I have already worn from both camps today, C2 Lido at work and now relaxing with the C5 at home! (well actually im walking the dog)
When I see a watch, the last thing I see is the time

Watch It All About
The WIAA Shop

I've always got loads of watches for sale, PM me to see what I've got available right now!
Dancematt
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Dancematt »

scooter wrote:I don't like quartz watches.

scooter
......I like gin! (Sorry reminded me of that Aldi's advert :)

Handwinds are where its at for me, it has all the joys of an auto but with the benifits of a quartz (wind it in the morning and leave it in the box if u want to wear something else, job done). The connection with a handwind feels more involving to me. Its like owning a parrot....u have to play with it everyday otherwise it'll pull all its feathers out and crap on the carpet but the rewards are much higher in some cases.
I miss all the great things that may never be.
julywest
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by julywest »

eggtronics wrote:Xtriple: I like your illustration! And julywest, I agree. I have already worn from both camps today, C2 Lido at work and now relaxing with the C5 at home! (well actually im walking the dog)
An interesting (at least to me) thought came to mind during lunch/dinner: Are most of the vehicles in UK still manual transmission as opposed to the US where most are automatics? Would be interesting if most US CW owners were manual dudes... I am not.. have been .. and it depends on the vehicle.. course its hard to drive, shift, and text ...not counting looking at your watch..
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 3

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Although I have a foot in every camp, I'm with Uncle Bill and Dancematt on the manuals.
I have 13 watches:
3 quartz - two of these are very high quality (Seamaster and DBR1) and ultra-accurate. They may not get worn as much as some of the others, but they're always ready, and I can use them as master timekeepers to set the others.
3 automatics - 2 CWs and a Seiko - I love to wear them but it's a pain having to reset the date every time, as I don't have (or particularly want) a winder. In some ways autos are the least satisfactory if you have a large-ish collection.
7 manuals - one brand new and 6 vintage. I've kept the new Nomos running continuously so far to test it, and it's outstanding, so I'll probably let it run down now if I'm not going to wear it. I like winding a watch that I'm going to wear, it's somehow a very personal interaction. I do give them all a wind at the weekend anyway. My two top faves happen to be manual (Nomos and gold Omega)
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; wannabe travel writer

Walk a while in others' shoes...

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time
cholmes
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by cholmes »

I too am a mechanical-loving person. I haven't worn my quartzes or ecodrives in quite a while, though they just keep on keeping on. I am also a manual transmission person, though they're harder to find and service. Does ChrW (ew, still doesn't roll off the tongue does it? And now I've fueled another battle) have any manual wind watches?
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by scooter »

I think just the 2011 FLE.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)