The thing I love about automatics is...

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
sibex
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 1

Re: The thing I love about automatics is...

Post by sibex »

I have to fall into the auto camp. they just make me feel more special and yes, a touch smug when wearing it.

I remember, as a kid, having a hand wound Timex. Them was the days when hand wound watches were the norm. Oh for the old days...... I loved it.
xtriple
Forum gobshite
CW-watches: 3

Post by xtriple »

To be honest, today (and most days) I have an eager little puppy (Omega SMP) on my left wrist, and a cold, dispassionate cat (Timex Auto today) on my right. I like the looks of aggression and hatred they flash across at each other while each being keen to prove they are the best.

Puppy normally wins.
CW C3 CWS, C13 GWT, 2012 FLE. Tag Heuer. Citizen. Tissot Tudor. Breitling Colt + SuperOcean. Orient SK. Deep Blue. Seiko X2. Steinhart Ocean 1. Timex X3. MuDu. Longines. Yema. Omega Speedmaster +Seamaster SMP. Roamer. Sully. Bulova. Ingersol.
Grommit
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 2

Post by Grommit »

Autos and handwinds have a soul. Just my humble opinion :oops: (Bit miffed that I'll never own a DBR1, though)
C15 Henley
C8 Vintage
Bulova Precisionist Claremont
Omega Seamaster Professional
Omega Planet Ocean

Want - C8 Mk1 black & tan, C70 DBR1

"....or wonder 'til it drives you mad, what would have followed if you had."
Russ-Shettle
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Russ-Shettle »

Like any pure mechanical, an auto is a true time keeping machine. It continues to represent the essence of Horology, dating back centuries. An Auto also represents a partnership between man and machine. You give it life, it gives you back time. To me, it's alive with a beating heart and will only remain alive through your physical attachment. All of the energy it receives and stores in order to remain alive so it can give you time, all came from from you. Putting an auto on a winder is like sticking someone on life support. To do that to an auto is just so inhumane and impersonal. An auto wants its daddy.

All very poetic right? Nothing more said. Simply this; an Auto is just all so real.
Peteo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3
LE-two: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by Peteo »

When I first started looking at watches, I definitely didn't really care about auto vs. quartz. Now, a quartz will need to have a very special look or sentimental value for me to really want to keep it (e.g., my C70US). I wasn't sure if I'd get on with the manual wind C9FLE, but I actually love the little ritual of powering it up in the morning. And the wobble of my Steinhart Nav Chrono is always fun. There is something alive about it, and it's great knowing that there's an intricate little piece of machinery on my wrist. You won't see me calling any of my watches Johnny Five though. :lol:
Peteo
CWs: C70US #702, 2009FLE #34, C65 S. Compressor
Non-CWs: AL&S 1815 A. Calendar, BREMONT Solo, CASIO G-Shock, GRAND SEIKO SBGA415 & SBGJ251, OMEGA Speedmaster Racing, SINN EZM13 & 103AB, TOWSON WATCH CO. C20 Chrono, TUDOR Black Bay Blue
Russ-Shettle
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Russ-Shettle »

An Automatic watch like all mechanical timepieces are marvels and micro mechanical masterpieces. Just realize the precision of it and all the tiny parts that make it work. The oscillating balance alone and everything about it is just so impressive.

A quartz design doesn't require that kind of precision and therefor, it is far cheaper and easier to manufacturer. The advancement of time is done by pushing the movement forward by a tiny actuating solenoid pulsed by the electronic quartz timing circuit. There is no tension in the movement that would require a high degree of precision or durability in material, yet can still last.

In a mechanical movement, time is advanced by the controlled release of energy stored by a spring under tension. The control of that energy release is done by the oscillating balance of course, along with the ingenious escape mechanism too difficult to describe. The entire movement is under varying degrees of tension starting with the "great wheel". Precision, lubrication and material quality are critical which is why they are more expensive to manufacturer. In-between the stored energy of the spring and the controlling balance are the hands that display the controlled release of its stored energy. The two are so so so fundamentally different.

But this is how it's been for centuries before technology yet the pure mechanical movement survives because it remains the most adored by many. An Auto represents the works of Man at his very best using nothing but raw materials from earth and fire, though manufacturing has become automated with technological advances.

The thing we, you and I love about autos? ..... is its history! :clap: :thumbup: :wave:

Does that not blow up your skirt? :lol:
Jimleymurmer
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 22

Post by Jimleymurmer »

Nobody has mentioned my main gripe about quartz. And that's the 'tick' rather than the 'sweep' there's something about the sweep that says 'expensive' and vice versa with the tick. For example...I liked the idea of the DBR1 cosc as I wrongly assumed it meant a sweeping hand. I was going to buy one until I realised it was a ticking cosc! And finally....there's the nerdy philosophical thing about time itself being a seamless flow and not a series of 1 second intervals. Am I alive between those ticks??? Ok...you've clicked away now I suppose. You did ask!
Jimleymurmer
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 22

Post by Jimleymurmer »

Jimleymurmer wrote:Nobody has mentioned my main gripe about quartz. And that's the 'tick' rather than the 'sweep' there's something about the sweep that says 'expensive' and vice versa with the tick. For example...I liked the idea of the DBR1 cosc as I wrongly assumed it meant a sweeping hand. I was going to buy one until I realised it was a ticking cosc! And finally....there's the nerdy philosophical thing about time itself being a seamless flow and not a series of 1 second intervals. Am I alive between those ticks??? Ok...you've clicked away now I suppose. You did ask!
ok you HAD mentioned it! Should read more thoroughly!
Russ-Shettle
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Russ-Shettle »

Jimleymurmer wrote:
Jimleymurmer wrote:Nobody has mentioned my main gripe about quartz. And that's the 'tick' rather than the 'sweep' there's something about the sweep that says 'expensive' and vice versa with the tick. For example...I liked the idea of the DBR1 cosc as I wrongly assumed it meant a sweeping hand. I was going to buy one until I realised it was a ticking cosc! And finally....there's the nerdy philosophical thing about time itself being a seamless flow and not a series of 1 second intervals. Am I alive between those ticks??? Ok...you've clicked away now I suppose. You did ask!
ok you HAD mentioned it! Should read more thoroughly!
Ticking just once per second saves juice in the battery. :D The "sweep" is really the same thing only it's been divided down to 8 advancing movements per second instead of just one. From that, it appears to be sweeping. Each forward movement, 1/8th of a second long, represents 1/2 oscillation of the Balance wheel. So.... is 8 sweeps better than one click? you bet! :clap:
footycrazy
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by footycrazy »

Tricky one this,
I am not sure which i prefer, an auto or a manual wind. But definitely not the devil,s quartz :lol: sorry XT.

At present i own 4 auto,s and 5 manual, but the auto,s are all newish 2004 on, and the 5 manuals are vintage 1951-66 so if i want to wear a new watch today it must be a thicker auto, or a slimmer manual vintage. Also cost comes in i think, to buy a New, slim, manual wind today is a lot of money. £1K and upwards. untill CW develops one :thumbup: even then it will probably be 10mm thick :roll:
Graham
Tuzzaboy
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 7

Post by Tuzzaboy »

they are automatics thats what I like