The new C11 chronograph version - shame it is a quartz?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
NMS75
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

The new C11 chronograph version - shame it is a quartz?

Post by NMS75 »

I really do like the new C11 and the non-chronograph version I think is not a bad price for a stylish Swiss automatic watch. However, I feel it is a shame that the chronograph version is a quartz. Ok I am sure the quartz option was taken because it would have meant a big leap in price - probably around the same as the new C700 - but I would have liked to have seen an automatic version of the C11 chronograph.

Apologies to those who like quartz, I am not attacking quartz movements just offering an opinion that maybe CW will pick up on. No idea how other members feel about this issue.

Mark
Watches: Christopher Ward C7 Rapide MKII | Christopher Ward C70 Grand Epreuve | Rolex Submariner 16610 | Rolex GMT-Master II 116710LN | Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean 2201.50 | Steinhart GMT-Ocean 1 Blue Red
highway62

Re: The new C11 chronograph version - shame it is a quartz?

Post by highway62 »

agree 100%
NMS75
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by NMS75 »

highway62 wrote:agree 100%
Glad it is not just me :D

Mark
Watches: Christopher Ward C7 Rapide MKII | Christopher Ward C70 Grand Epreuve | Rolex Submariner 16610 | Rolex GMT-Master II 116710LN | Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean 2201.50 | Steinhart GMT-Ocean 1 Blue Red
xtriple
Forum gobshite
CW-watches: 3

Post by xtriple »

I know I'm in the minority but I like quartz. So nice to be able to leave it in the box for a week and not worry about faffing around with the settings when you drag it out again. Must admit though that I am coming round to liking mechanicals more and more.
CW C3 CWS, C13 GWT, 2012 FLE. Tag Heuer. Citizen. Tissot Tudor. Breitling Colt + SuperOcean. Orient SK. Deep Blue. Seiko X2. Steinhart Ocean 1. Timex X3. MuDu. Longines. Yema. Omega Speedmaster +Seamaster SMP. Roamer. Sully. Bulova. Ingersol.
NMS75
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by NMS75 »

xtriple wrote:I know I'm in the minority but I like quartz. So nice to be able to leave it in the box for a week and not worry about faffing around with the settings when you drag it out again. Must admit though that I am coming round to liking mechanicals more and more.
I must admit I do like having my C70 in my watch box as I sometimes reset my automatic watches off it when I am in a hurry :lol:

That said I personally wouldn't want to add another quartz to my collection which is why I never added any more of the C70 range to my collection despite how much I love their designs.

Mark
highway62

Post by highway62 »

NMS75 wrote:
highway62 wrote:agree 100%
Glad it is not just me :D

Mark
my past record strongly suggests we'll be in the minority!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
NMS75
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by NMS75 »

As soon as you start creating chronogrpah watches using Swiss automatic movements the price shoots dramatically upwards. We have seen this with the C700 and no doubt CW wished to avoid this with the chronogrpah version of the new C11. I suspect an automatic chrono version would be double the non-chrono.

Mark
highway62

Post by highway62 »

although I'm sure there are some cheaper chrono mvts out there than the 7750 and even the Sellita 500...
NMS75
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by NMS75 »

highway62 wrote:although I'm sure there are some cheaper chrono mvts out there than the 7750 and even the Sellita 500...
I am a big fan of the 7750 - reliable and well tested. You find them in a wide variety of watch brands such as Steinhart to Longines etc. Although I was disappointed by the design of the new C700 I would be happy to spend £750 to £850 on a CW watch design I liked that uses this movement.

Mark
highway62

Post by highway62 »

true, I've had an Oceanaut 7750 Chrono for 2 yrs. Keeps excellent time and the 'wobble' is a nice feeling! :wink:
NMS75
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by NMS75 »

highway62 wrote:true, I've had an Oceanaut 7750 Chrono for 2 yrs. Keeps excellent time and the 'wobble' is a nice feeling! :wink:
Of course it does raise the issue of how much CW fans would be prepared to pay as a maximum for one of his watches. CW states he wants to keep costs down and keep them affordable - and indeed I suspect this philosophy was behind the decision to opt for a quartz for the new C11 chrono. However, the new C700 is one of (if not the) most expensive watch in the range. How many CW customers will spend that level of money I wonder? What is the upper limit before CW watches lose that edge finacially speaking?

Mark
highway62

Post by highway62 »

I think the £1000 mark represents a significant psychological barrier, not helped by the first watch to breach it being the odd looking jump hour ('odd' being a kind word.....)
NMS75
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by NMS75 »

highway62 wrote:I think the £1000 mark represents a significant psychological barrier, not helped by the first watch to breach it being the odd looking jump hour ('odd' being a kind word.....)
Yes, I think in my mind if CW kept his top-end watches below £1000 that would continue to keep my interest. Over £1000 I think i am more likely to go the extra and look towards one from Longines who have several superb designs at present.

Mark
highway62

Post by highway62 »

In my mind, a watch struggles to sell on absolute value once it gets to 4 figures. Then difficult to quantify factors such as design, percieved quality, brand history and recognition all take on a greater significance and there, at this stage in its evolution , CWL starts to struggle. Over time this hopefully will change and allow the brand to expand its range , while maintaining a strong value for money element.
NMS75
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by NMS75 »

highway62 wrote:In my mind, a watch struggles to sell on absolute value once it gets to 4 figures. Then difficult to quantify factors such as design, percieved quality, brand history and recognition all take on a greater significance and there, at this stage in its evolution , CWL starts to struggle. Over time this hopefully will change and allow the brand to expand its range , while maintaining a strong value for money element.
I agree! Sad to say many (but not all) people buy a Rolex for the name and the associated desireability rather than the watch itself. I have two myself because I love the look, quality and iconic status of both the Submariner and the GMT-Master. None of their other offerings excite me in the slightest and so I doubt I'll ever have another model from them. Regardless of why you buy a Rolex it does retain its value and maybe if you keep hold of it long enough its value can actually go up. To a lesser degree something similar can be said for Omega and Breitling.

CW does not have the same status as Rolex. But then that's not what CW is about - rather they want to offer quality value for money watches. However, while I would buy certain watch brands for over £1000 I wouldn't buy a CW for that - at least not yet. Resale value I think would be poor at that level should youever decide to move them on. Thankfully I think CW will keep prices down even though some of his latest offerings are not far from this £1000 mark.

Again this is only my opinion and no doubt other members will disagree.

Mark