The Bel Canto Ting

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 5

The Bel Canto Ting

Post by missF »

I want to ask anyone who now owns a Bel Canto - do you leave the Ting on a lot; and if you do, how does it touch on your day?; what do you think of when you hear that Ting on the hour?

All those questions really - tell me what part the Ting now plays in your world :D
These users thanked the author missF for the post (total 2):
jkbarnesROF68
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Re: The Bel Canto Ting

Post by jkbarnes »

Excellent questions! I’m very curious to see the responses.

I wonder if people experience this watch in a different way from other, more mundane watches.
Andrew
“I know. You know I know. I know you know I know. We know Henry knows, and Henry knows we know it. We're a knowledgeable family.” ~ The Lion In Winter

C65 Trident Vintage | C65 AMGT LE | C63 Sealander (36mm)

Find me on Instagram @jkbarnes
Chris375
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
CW-watches: 6

Post by Chris375 »

I wear it a lot on my days off and only turn the “ting” off when I go to bed as it sits on the bedside table.
When I am not aware it’s reaching the top of the hour and I hear the ting (more times than not) it always brings a smile to my face. Whereas when I have missed the reminder I actually feel disappointed and robbed of the sound. Especially when I realise I will have to wait quite a while (ie up to 59 minutes) for the chance to hear it again.
Personally, the effect of hearing the sound hasn’t worn off so it has become one of (even the) my favourite watches in my collection. I also do like looking at it as I do think it looks good too, even though it’s sometimes not the easiest to read.

Cheers,
Chris
These users thanked the author Chris375 for the post (total 2):
jkbarnesmissF
10xCW, 3xBremont, 2xTag Heuer, 6xOmega, 1xHamilton, 1xSeiko
wookiechew23
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 3

Post by wookiechew23 »

I've had mine for just over a month now, and I've only turned the "ting" off twice (once while I was at the movies, and once while I was at dinner with a friend). I enjoy hearing it chime every hour, and it helps me keep track of how long I've spent on different tasks. I largely work from home, and my work often involves me doing deep-dives into different topics that I am doing research into, so hearing the chime often jolts me back to reality, and helps me keep track of time and remember to move onto the next task. It even stays on when I go to bed, and it's quiet enough that it doesn't wake me up even if it's on the bedside table.

I think the chime does definitely change my relationship with this watch. With my other watches, I only really notice them when I'm actively checking the time on it (which is rare if I'm working at my desk and have the time on the screen in front of me), or if I'm adjusting the strap or taking it on and off. The Bel Canto's chime makes it have a lot more presence, and it's on my mind a lot more often thanks to these hourly reminders. I look at it several times during my work day, whether it's just after it has chimed or in the hopes of watching the chime happen in real time, and each time I'm happy that I made the decision to pick it up.

The Bel Canto has easily become my favorite watch. It's gorgeous to look at, I enjoy the chiming aspect, and it wears really well. Definitely feels like a big step up compared to the other watches I have owned, and it's a pretty integral part of my every day life now!

(The chime went off exactly as I was wrapping this up, so I'm taking that as my sign to post this and get back to work, but if you have any other questions about chiming/any other aspect of the Bel Canto, just let me know and I'm happy to talk about it!)
These users thanked the author wookiechew23 for the post (total 3):
missFChris375jkbarnes
Arun

C63 Sealander GMT, C63 Sapphire GMT COSC LE, C1 Bel Canto
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Richard D »

Mine is still in its box since before Christmas. Hasn’t been worn because I’ve not been in the mind to wear it. Interesting to read when and where folk are wearing their Bel Canto watches.
Richard

The whole is other than the sum of the parts.
Kurt Koffka
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

There have been 6 tings since your OP Lindsey. :)

I have to admit that I bought the BC more for the look of the watch, than the hourly ting. However…

Since I picked mine up on the 4th January I have found myself trying to ensure that I don’t miss the ting, when I am wearing the watch. If in the house and approaching ting time, I often look at the dial and compare ting time to the actual time - how many seconds fast/slow is it now. If I am out, I just take a peek and try and ensure I hear the ting (pushing up my sleeve and looking at the phone time, would be a bridge too far :)).

I do turn it off when I go to bed. I look at my alarm when I wake and if coming up to the hour I tend to pick up the watch and turn on the chime in time for the next ting.

To a certain extent it has made me rethink my collection. I have my quota of very nice dive, GMT, Chronograph and sports watches from the usual suspects for normal everyday wear. Adding to those seems pointless. I have a couple of very nice dress watches for occasional wear. I have my normal CWs to wear as an alternative (worn more than a few years ago).

I had kept thinking about going for something expensive (relative to my other watches), well because that is apparently what watch collectors are supposed to aspire to, etc… :problem:

I am increasing thinking - I can’t be bothered. The Bel Canto does it for me as my something completely different watch. :D

Neil
These users thanked the author nbg for the post (total 5):
missFBahnstormer_vRSwookiechew23jkbarnesChris375
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

Hmmm...
The ting is quite often the best way to tell the time when using a Bel Canto.
I leave the ting on unless I'm in a meeting or where it wouldn't be appropriate. It is a useful reminder that time is passing if you're engaged in a task. I like it. It is, in many ways, the purpose of the watch.
The Bel Canto is not going to be an everyday watch for me. It's a special occasion piece and hearing the ting every hour just reminds you how special it is. Now, where's the nearest clock, I want to know what time it is...
These users thanked the author albionphoto for the post (total 2):
missFChris375
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Omega, and Oris
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Surely a quiet ting is hardly an issue. My notification ring tone of the good the bad and the ugly is far worse.
These users thanked the author JAFO for the post:
missF
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

An illustration of the ting. :)

BT (before ting):
Hammer at full cock just before striking…
A7C67715-4266-472E-86A4-3854654CD9A6.jpeg
AT (after ting):
Hammer immediately after striking the gong…
0BA0A972-74EB-4ED1-90CC-E51B034444F9.png
Neil
These users thanked the author nbg for the post:
MiniMpi
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 5

Post by missF »

nbg wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:55 pm An illustration of the ting. :)
You left the soundtrack up to my imagination???? Cruel pictures of the Bel Canto :lol: