Talk me out of a 3rd CW

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
WalterSMonaco
Senior
Senior

Talk me out of a 3rd CW

Post by WalterSMonaco »

I’m considering the Trident Black/Blue diver. Problem is I just bought a GMT and snagged the sh21 white dial. Problem is it would be my 3rd CW piracy add this year which would be a chunk of my collection. This watch would be my daily. How many of you with multiple CWs have had any last 10 years or more? How well do the tridents hold up over the years? Don’t care about resale. How many CW are too many?

MC
Tag Heuer Monaco Cal 12
Tag Heuer Link Cal 16
Hamilton Khaki “Murph”
CW C60 Trident 600 Pro GMT
Tudor BB steel
Tudor BB GMT
Commisar
Senior
Senior

Re: Talk me out of a 3rd CW

Post by Commisar »

WalterSMonaco wrote:I’m considering the Trident Black/Blue diver. Problem is I just bought a GMT and snagged the sh21 white dial. Problem is it would be my 3rd CW piracy add this year which would be a chunk of my collection. This watch would be my daily. How many of you with multiple CWs have had any last 10 years or more? How well do the tridents hold up over the years? Don’t care about resale. How many CW are too many?

MC
Sounds like the diver would be a great addition. Is your GMT a C65 or C60?

The GMT and divers have rock solid Selitta movements.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

WalterSMonaco
Senior
Senior

Post by WalterSMonaco »

The GMT is a C60
MC
Tag Heuer Monaco Cal 12
Tag Heuer Link Cal 16
Hamilton Khaki “Murph”
Tudor BB steel
Tudor BB GMT
Aussie
CW-watches: 2

Post by Aussie »

Just purchased my 3rd......
C60 Elite 1000 black/red, waiting on it to ship.

Therefore I’m probably not the best person to talk you out of it!
My C60 Trident Pro 600 has been an awesome daily watch for the last 3 years.
Not a mark on it, until a few weeks ago when I dropped it face down on tiles and the sapphire crystal shattered. Any brand would have shattered with how it fell (there are posts for Rolex, bremont etc with SC shattering in similar circumstances), therefore I don’t blame CW or workmanship in any way. To the contrast, I’ve clipped it on walls and stairs etc many times before hand, and not a mark or a scratch. Just unlucky.

Reference the time keeping etc - it held to +/- 5 sec per day for the last 3 years. I rely on my watch for precise time, and the worst it ever behaved was -10 per day for a non Chrono. Next one is a chrono though ;)

So would I buy a third - yep, go for it!!
Watches:
C8
C60 Trident Pro 600
C60 Elite 1000
monkeymax
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 3

Post by monkeymax »

I'm afraid I may not help either.
I own 3 CW's, two from New (quartz) and one bough relatively recently (automatic). All are over or nearly 10 years old and all run well still. I've had them sent to CW once or twice and the yellow kingfisher was (and due to lockdown is again as I wasn't moving enough of an auto!) my daily watch for at least half of the time I've had it. I've used it for all sorts, it's been on boats and in the garage but I don't abuse it.
And barring a couple of scratches it still looks fantastic (if a touch faded).

In fact the longevity of these watches is a reason I'm not getting a C60 Elite as I'm currently trying to live life on a one in, one out policy! Image (and I tend to really keep things)

So if robustness is a concern then as long as you take fair care of it, yes it'll last! :)
oberonfoto
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by oberonfoto »

Got 5-so far and still looking. Great watches and I wear them in rotation - apart from when I’ve just bought a new one when I wear it to death and then some.
David
CWL C60 Trident Pro Orange, C60 Trident 600 GMT Red, C60 Trident 300 - RN SM Service, C60 Trident 600 Bronze GMT, C65 Dartmouth S1 Black
EB Canford SM Service, EB Holton Pro, Omega Geneve, Record Swan, CWC G10
Wife:
CWL Constance
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Aussie wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:50 am Reference the time keeping etc - it held to +/- 5 sec per day for the last 3 years. I rely on my watch for precise time, and the worst it ever behaved was -10 per day for a non Chrono. Next one is a chrono though ;)
It was really unlucky to break your watch like that. And a shame because it seems to have been extremely reliable for you.

By the way, when you say Chrono I’m assuming from the context you mean chronometer. Normally in WIS speak Chrono means chronograph. We often refer to Swiss chronometers by the abbreviation COSC. :D
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
jmarchitect
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jmarchitect »

WalterSMonaco wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:50 am I’m considering the Trident Black/Blue diver. Problem is I just bought a GMT and snagged the sh21 white dial. Problem is it would be my 3rd CW piracy add this year which would be a chunk of my collection. This watch would be my daily. How many of you with multiple CWs have had any last 10 years or more? How well do the tridents hold up over the years? Don’t care about resale. How many CW are too many?

MC
Ok, here goes. I remember a former member posing a similar question, to which he received the usual replies of ‘you can never have too many’ and ‘the correct number of watches is n+1’, all light hearted and forum-friendly. He went completely off the rails of sensible purchasing and ended up leaving the forum after his purchases got out of hand. You’ve posed problems in amongst your questions, so perhaps solve them first then consider if you need another CWL?

If that didn’t work, I can report that my original C60 Trident is still going strong, more than ten years after I bought it but I wear it perhaps once or twice a month, rotating it with the other pieces that I simply had to have in my watch box.
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

I have 21 CW watches and my girlfriend has 12 CW watches so I'm no help at all to you lol !
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

Im also no help re numbers, I currently have 11 (ish) CW watches in my collection, I get most enjoyment from 5 and could happily live without the others. If it came to it Im sure I could live with 0, 1st world problems and all that 😁

Caveat in the spirit of jmarchitect's sensible post above..
I think the wider question is how many watches? CW is just one appealing brand. The question then has to be reframed maybe to, how many is right for you?
This should be governed by all the usual parameters of; available capital, impact of spend, opportunity cost (is there something else that has to give to acquire the watch that you/your family get more enjoyment from), pleasure ownership of each watch gives etc...
I should be clear, Im not posing these questions and suggesting you respond, they are somewhat rhetorical. Oh, and after all this self analysis, enjoy the new watch when it arrives
😁🤣
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

Nope. No can do. Why stop at three?
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
jimbo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jimbo »

My son has a similar problem with "GAS" (Guitar acquisition syndrome) he currently has 8

But back to the "OP" ......wrong place to ask...we all have a few some less than others.... I am waiting (like for xmas) for the C60 crono to come out..... one is going to be mine.

I bought my first CW in 2009... never had a problem with any of them
Remember...your left hand has the thumb on the right hand side
WalterSMonaco
Senior
Senior

Post by WalterSMonaco »

MiniMpi wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:35 pm I have 21 CW watches and my girlfriend has 12 CW watches so I'm no help at all to you lol !
21????
Tag Heuer Monaco Cal 12
Tag Heuer Link Cal 16
Hamilton Khaki “Murph”
Tudor BB steel
Tudor BB GMT
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

I think Kip has 160+.
My own meager collection stands at seven CWs but I have owned 11 over the years.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
WalterSMonaco
Senior
Senior

Post by WalterSMonaco »

albionphoto wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:53 am I think Kip has 160+.
My own meager collection stands at seven CWs but I have owned 11 over the years.
What makes you keep back to the brand?
Tag Heuer Monaco Cal 12
Tag Heuer Link Cal 16
Hamilton Khaki “Murph”
Tudor BB steel
Tudor BB GMT