Leo David
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Re: "Swiss Movt" C5A Mk I (black dial)

Post by Leo David »

asqwerth wrote:
Leo David wrote:
Comparing the earlier and later models one wonders why CW moved from a black date wheel to white; from a circular plain aperture for the date, which suits the watch perfectly, to a white date wheel and silver edging. And then taking it a step further to the mkII, mine has a white date wheel visible through a square cut out with a silver edge. It seems that the brief for the design team was to ensure that each incarnation was worse not better than the original :?
I assume you are referring to the black dial Mk II, because in the context of the cream Mk II, the white date wheel is fine. In fact, IMO the squarish date window isn't incongruous with the Mk II design in general, because the hands are more angular and the dial is cleaner without the inner guilloched circle.

I have to say that while I love the clean design of my Mk II, the detail that make up the Mk I dial -- fine sub-second/minute index markings on the outer and inner circles, tiny printed numbers and guilloche in the inset inner circle -- are very well-executed. In fact, I think that the Mk I is less an aviator watch than the Mk II, and more a classic C5 Malvern dressed up in aviator clothes. :)

Kip wrote: To my knowledge all the "Swiss Movement" watches, meaning those built prior to Aug. 1, 2008 were ETA movements.
Kip, thanks for the information. Would you happen to know if the MK I 'Swiss Movt' C5A cases were slimmer than the current MK II cases? It's just been bugging me. :D
Asquerth, Indeed I was referring to the black dial MkII. The MkI is more attractive precisely for the reasons you have set out above. I don't think the MkII ugly at all, but I'm afraid it is a less attractive sibling to the MkI.
asqwerth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by asqwerth »

Kip wrote:
Kip wrote:
asqwerth wrote:

Kip, thanks for the information. Would you happen to know if the MK I 'Swiss Movt' C5A cases were slimmer than the current MK II cases? It's just been bugging me. :D
The specs I have say the same for both. I will measure mine to verify. :)
I have measured both and there is only the slightest variation which can be attributed to variations in the way the crystals are seated or just my steady hands.
Advertised specs say 10.8mm

MK1 - 10.77mm
MK2 - 10.62mm
Thanks, Kip.

Looks like my eyes have deceived me! Maybe because the dial (outer circle) of my MkI is closer to the crystal, it made the watch case look less deep.
C5As~FLE12R~W61~C60GMT~FLE15
Nomos Orion33/Tetra2~BallEH~Montblanc~Tudor BB36~Archimede36~Damasko~Revue T~BremontSolo37
Vintage~Bulova23~Polerouter~Wittnauer~Longines~Omega~Soumar~Eterna~Gruen

Quartz~Matisse~FLE17~Ebel~Citizen
leebman
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
CW-watches: 2

Post by leebman »

Nice watch that I am glad it's gone to a good home :)
Russ-Shettle
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by Russ-Shettle »

Kip wrote:Excellent post asqwerth...a great catch!

To my knowledge all the "Swiss Movement" watches, meaning those built prior to Aug. 1, 2008 were ETA movements.
You should be able to see the ETA logo back behind the balance wheel.
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

Leo David wrote:Asquerth, Indeed I was referring to the black dial MkII. The MkI is more attractive precisely for the reasons you have set out above. I don't think the MkII ugly at all, but I'm afraid it is a less attractive sibling to the MkI.
+1 to the MkI being the more attractive watch. I do think the silver ring around the dial on the cream suits the watch better than it does on the black dial. I think it's because it plays off the silver numbers on the cream dial.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.