Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Jape
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Swimming and watches

Post by Jape »

Hi guys.

I like swimming as a form of exercise, and I go to some local public swimming pools. Years back I wore my Suunto when I went swimming, but only occasionally.

What do you experts say about using a watch in a pool? Is it unwise? I know it must be bad for the watch since the water has chlorine in it. Just thinking if, let's say, a C6 Kingfisher would be alright for pools? So, any ideas/recommendations?

Cheers.

Jape
C7 Rapide C11 Auto C600 Tri-Tech C2 Lido C40 Speedhawk C60 600 Sinn 857 Sinn 103St Sinn U1 Omega Seamaster Pro 300
Wants are many but funds scarce.
village
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Re: Swimming and watches

Post by village »

The thing to do,whether you've been in a chlorinated pool or in the ocean,is to rinse your watch under fresh water after you've been swimming.
If you can read this you are too close to your computer screen....
Mr Rick
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 17

Post by Mr Rick »

I think the Kingfisher would be an excellent choice.
Rick

Various vintage Heuers
CW C8 Pilot MK I and II, 2011 and 13 FLEs, C5 B of B and Malvern Aviator MK II, C11 MSL MK I, C70 DBR1, C60 and C60 GMT, C9 Harrison, C9 Chrono, C10 Aviator
Jape
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Jape »

village wrote:The thing to do,whether you've been in a chlorinated pool or in the ocean,is to rinse your watch under fresh water after you've been swimming.

Thanks. I guess I sort of knew it but wanted the forum opinion. :)
C7 Rapide C11 Auto C600 Tri-Tech C2 Lido C40 Speedhawk C60 600 Sinn 857 Sinn 103St Sinn U1 Omega Seamaster Pro 300
Jape
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Jape »

Mr Rick wrote:I think the Kingfisher would be an excellent choice.

Me, too. :D I reckon I'm just trying to convince myself to buy a new watch...

I actually didn't like the Kingfisher at all but it has grown on me. I almost ordered it during the Autumn Event, but I "had to" buy new glasses since the old ones are already three years old.
DSHall
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 22
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Swimming and watches

Post by DSHall »

C6 is excellent but so is the Trident and the Triple Tech. C6 is cheapest option though Can't go wrong but rinse afterwards.
highway62

Post by highway62 »

just wear it in the shower afterwards :lol:
Jape
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Jape »

DSHall wrote:C6 is excellent but so is the Trident and the Triple Tech. C6 is cheapest option though Can't go wrong but rinse afterwards.
The price is one attraction. I could use it as a "beater". Then again, I do like the Trident a lot.

Also, sadly for me, I noticed the C60 LE, which could be greatm, but maybe a bit pricey for me at the moment ( (Not sure I can really spend this much on watches.) After buying the C11 (first auto for me) I sort of want to buy automatics, although I don't seem to have the heart not to wear my automatic all the time in the fear that it stops. That's a problem if one has many of those.
Jape
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Jape »

highway62 wrote:just wear it in the shower afterwards :lol:
:lol: I wonder if that's enough. Should be, me thinks. :D
lostguy
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by lostguy »

Jape wrote:
DSHall wrote:C6 is excellent but so is the Trident and the Triple Tech. C6 is cheapest option though Can't go wrong but rinse afterwards.
The price is one attraction. I could use it as a "beater". Then again, I do like the Trident a lot.

Also, sadly for me, I noticed the C60 LE, which could be greatm, but maybe a bit pricey for me at the moment ( (Not sure I can really spend this much on watches.) After buying the C11 (first auto for me) I sort of want to buy automatics, although I don't seem to have the heart not to wear my automatic all the time in the fear that it stops. That's a problem if one has many of those.
I have two mechanical watches and I feel bad when the auto dies. The manual isn't so bad; even if I don't wear it I can quickly wind it and it's fine. Winding an auto doesn't seem to be recommended?
on the other hand I don't have a bunch of autos like a lot of guys on here.
Jttuck
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 0

Post by Jttuck »

Jape wrote:... I don't seem to have the heart not to wear my automatic all the time in the fear that it stops. That's a problem if one has many of those.
That is what a watch winder is for. Once you get into collecting watches you discover you need more goodies to keep, guard, and wind your little treasures.
Dancematt
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Dancematt »

Why be scared or sad if it stops? not sure i understand that myself. I always feel happy that im giving it a rest and service intervals have been prolonged a tad but thats probably just me.
I miss all the great things that may never be.
wymore
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
CW-watches: 2

Post by wymore »

highway62 wrote:just wear it in the shower afterwards :lol:
That's exactly what I do, and I wear my Kingfisher in pools and water parks all the time with no issues whatsoever. In fact, other than a few scuffs on the bottom of the bracelet, it looks as good as the day I bought it. The dial looks really nice underwater too by the way.
Russ-Shettle
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by Russ-Shettle »

Jape wrote:Hi guys.

I like swimming as a form of exercise, and I go to some local public swimming pools. Years back I wore my Suunto when I went swimming, but only occasionally.

What do you experts say about using a watch in a pool? Is it unwise? I know it must be bad for the watch since the water has chlorine in it. Just thinking if, let's say, a C6 Kingfisher would be alright for pools? So, any ideas/recommendations?

Cheers.

Jape
Of course it's OK but do it with a watch that made for it, most divers with applicable ratings. So, if you got to swim with a watch on then Get the C60.
Jape
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Jape »

Thanks for your comments, guys. :)

I guess the watch winder will be a purchase I'll have to make at some point, then. As to the C60, I am really tempted...