Stupid Q: 3rd time-zone on C60 GMT?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
josquin
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 5

Stupid Q: 3rd time-zone on C60 GMT?

Post by josquin »

1st and 2nd time-zones are easy to see. But with the rotating bezel a third is supposedly easily visible. How to get that?
blowfish89
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
LE-three: yes

Re: Stupid Q: 3rd time-zone on C60 GMT?

Post by blowfish89 »

josquin wrote:1st and 2nd time-zones are easy to see. But with the rotating bezel a third is supposedly easily visible. How to get that?
I think its pretty silly but this is the answer afaik - By manually rotating and setting the bezel to match the desired target hour with the hour hand. So you can read time and GMT hand time (without using bezel) from watch and bezel time as a 3rd time zone. Quite silly.
Richard B
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by Richard B »

Not silly at all... That's exactly it.

It was leading edge technology when Rolex invented it.
So I wish I was James Bond, just for the day.
Kissing all the girls, blow the bad guys away.
blowfish89
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by blowfish89 »

I can't even get used to reading the second timezone from the GMT hand - sort of wish it were a 12 hour circle instead of a 24h one.
Mr Rick
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 17

Post by Mr Rick »

blowfish89 wrote:I can't even get used to reading the second timezone from the GMT hand - sort of wish it were a 12 hour circle instead of a 24h one.
If it were a 12 hour circle it would be worthless. You would never know if the second time was AM or PM.
Rick

Various vintage Heuers
CW C8 Pilot MK I and II, 2011 and 13 FLEs, C5 B of B and Malvern Aviator MK II, C11 MSL MK I, C70 DBR1, C60 and C60 GMT, C9 Harrison, C9 Chrono, C10 Aviator
downer

Post by downer »

blowfish89 wrote:I can't even get used to reading the second timezone from the GMT hand - sort of wish it were a 12 hour circle instead of a 24h one.

Sounds like you need one of these..

Richard
blowfish89
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by blowfish89 »

I have to deal with a 13.5 hr time difference daily, so again, the GMT is not that much use. But I do like the looks and two-tone bezel of say a GMT Master over a simple Submariner.
stolivar
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 1

Post by stolivar »

Sounds like you are dealing with India time Blowfish89!
Boccia 3542-2
C60-GMT-SKWKC22 - nato black grey
Tudor Oyster Prince Date ref 75204
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

blowfish89 wrote:I have to deal with a 13.5 hr time difference daily, so again, the GMT is not that much use. But I do like the looks and two-tone bezel of say a GMT Master over a simple Submariner.
Perhaps you need a watch with 2 movements, like a Philp Stein, that can be independantly set.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Scrogg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Scrogg »

Kip wrote:Perhaps you need a watch with 2 movements, like a Philp Stein, that can be independantly set.
Or a smartphone!

The GMT concept was revolutionary at the time, and solved a problem that existed at the time, but the world has moved on and it is now just a gimmick that very few have a use or a need for...
footycrazy
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by footycrazy »

blowfish89 wrote:I have to deal with a 13.5 hr time difference daily, so again, the GMT is not that much use. But I do like the looks and two-tone bezel of say a GMT Master over a simple Submariner.

You need an Omega flightmaster, independently set gmt hand that can be set at any time increment. Caliber 910 blue hand set with crown at 10.
Image.
Graham
blowfish89
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by blowfish89 »

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm quite happy doing the math in my head by now, and happy with my watch just telling the time where I am.
downer

Post by downer »

Scrogg wrote:
Kip wrote:Perhaps you need a watch with 2 movements, like a Philp Stein, that can be independantly set.
Or a smartphone!

The GMT concept was revolutionary at the time, and solved a problem that existed at the time, but the world has moved on and it is now just a gimmick that very few have a use or a need for...
Nonsense. Some of still use our watches to tell time, and to quickly read time in a different timezone, Nothing looks more stupid than some guy on an aeroplane (usually in a very confined seat), digging into his pockets looking for his phone - just to find out the time.
Richard
Scrogg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Scrogg »

downer wrote:Nonsense.
Just because someone has an opinion that differs from yours (and it was an opinion, not a statement of fact) doesn't make it nonsense.

I am now 40 years old but, despite being extremely well-travelled, was unaware that this style of watch even existed until last week, so clearly I am not included in the few that have a use or need for it...

i still use my watch to tell the time, but also have a world time function on my iPhone so can easily find out the time anywhere in the world (not just in one or, at a push, two other time zones) at a glance, but most don't.

You are correct in your assertion that "Some of us still use our watches to tell the time, and quickly read time in a different timezone" but if either of us was to actually investigate it further we would find that it is a very small minority.
downer

Post by downer »

Maybe the word nonsense is harsh, but to dismiss something as outdated because you have no need for it is.... well, I'll leave it you to come up with a better word.
Richard