Steel versus Leather

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Lars
Senior
Senior

Steel versus Leather

Post by Lars »

Hi Folks,

I am considering placing an order for a C7 soon, erring towards choosing a Steel bracelet. I notice that the initial C7s received and posted here all are leather straps.

What's your views on Steel versus Leather debate ?

Personally I prefer Steel but it needs to be a good fit and good quality.
Having never owned or seen a CW Steel strap I would be interested in your opinion of how good they look and feel and if they can be adjusted well.

Also, if anyone has a Steel C7 and would be able to share their views and some photos this would be appreciated.

Many thanks......Lars.
Tawbs
CW-watches: 6

Re: Steel versus Leather

Post by Tawbs »

I have three CW bracelet watches; the C5, C3 and C6 and they're all top quality. Very comfortable, solid and smooth. Only drawback is that there is no micro-adjustement in the clasp. The only brand that in my opinion makes better bracelets is Marcello C. They're so soft and nice you'll want to cuddle them.
CW leather straps has always been a tad to long for me with a small wrist. I not nice (or particularily good looking) to always have to wear the strap in the "last hole" with a very long overlap.
Just my 2c.
Tawbs
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
C6T3X1
C5SSS
C3SKS
C5GWTR
C7SSS
C4815-NAS
ctafield

Post by ctafield »

I have a leather strap on my C7, and the leather used is very different that used on the C3 (when I used to own one of them). It's a LOT softer and much more comfortable. That said, they are still a tad long and I'm using the "last" hole but it's still a tad loose. The marketing says "italian" leather and it's not far off the quality of the leather on a pair of Prada Sport shoes I have :oops: Very nice indeed.

I recently purchased a steel strap for my C6, and concerns that they may be quite lightweight, and cheap feeling (think Fossil watches!). That couldn't be further from the truth. They're very sturdy and solid bracelets.

If I were to order another C7 (and believe me, I am tempted) then it would be white dial with steel strap.
ctafield

Post by ctafield »

Just as an aside, you could always used the 60 day returns policy if you order steel and decide you're not pleased with it.
Daz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Daz »

:(
ctafield

Post by ctafield »

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?! :( In that case then I want to change my Forum LE vote to C7 with white dial :lol:
EricB
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 7

Post by EricB »

The steel bracelets are of good quality. On a par with similar brands I would say, but not better.
On the C6 it could be a wee bit thicker or chunkier I think personally.

Recently got the W2 Lido and that has a good quality bracelet too.
sunny2good
CW-watches: 0

Post by sunny2good »

does anyone know whether leather straps can be easily replaced with bracelets and bracelets with leather straps on C7 by us. Or do we have to get it done from a shop. If so who and how much would it cost ?

lastly, are C7 bracelets easy to adjust to fit my wrist?

Thanks,

Sunny
Monkey
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
LE-two: yes

Post by Monkey »

I've ordered a C7 with leather strap as I find them a bit more comfortable on my skinny wrists!!

In fact, my C3 and C4 both have leather straps :)

I do own some watches with nice bracelet straps, and do wear them occassionally, so I guess it's down to personal choice!!

As for changing the straps, you can get it done in a watch shop for £5 - £10 probably, or just do what I know several people have done on here and buy one of the 'watch repair' kits off of Ebay for a tenner or so.

You can adjust bracelet straps quite easily with the tools they give you, so you can pretty much swap your straps/bracelets over when you like :D
John
EricB
Junior
Junior

Post by EricB »

And with the new style staps as on the C8 or the alligator ones you don't even need a tool, just finger nails !
You can see it on the pictures of the C8 on the CW site.
ctafield

Post by ctafield »

Are they quick release on the C8 then? They're just regular spring bars on the C7.
EricB
Junior
Junior

Post by EricB »

Yes, quick release on the C8.
And on the alligator straps on the C15.
arryb

Post by arryb »

I'm pretty sure the reason all the C7s you've seen so far have leather straps is because there was an issue with the bracelet supply (or something along those lines) hence nobody has received a C7 with a steel bracelet yet....or I hope not because my C7SKS hasn't come yet :lol:
dystran
Junior
Junior

Post by dystran »

I've just received my Brown dial C7 with steel strap (serial number 2). Very nice!