Starting out

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Zarcod
CW-watches: 0

Starting out

Post by Zarcod »

I'm new to all this...forums and mechanical watches.

I've wanted to own a good mechanical for a while but found them to be too expensive - That is until I stumbled on the CW's. That being said I really don't know how they stack up against the well known and much more expensive watches. All I know is that I found his automatics to be good looking and in my price range.

I'm sure that most, if not all, of the members of this forum are much more educated in the merits of CW brand. I'd like to hear what you think of them.
Zarcod
phubbard
CW-watches: 1

Delighted to help

Post by phubbard »

joerattz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

I was in the same boat as you ...

Post by joerattz »

about a year ago. I knew I wanted to get a mechanical or automatic watch, but I still had trouble with the accuracy to price ratio of a mechanical/automatic compared to a quartz watch. After looking around for about 3 months, I came to the conclusion that the CW Malvern was by far the best deal at the time. I think it was DavidM1's review at Timezone that sold me on it. Here are my reasons for why I think it was such a bargain:

1. Quality and reliable movement - ETA 2824
2. Saphire crystal (front only, not back)
3. Solid stainless steel case
4. Exhibition back

When I looked for other watches with those features, I always ended up in the +$300 US range. At that time, my Malvern cost me about $175 delivered to the US. There has been a price increase since then, which makes it a little less of a bargain, but I still haven't seen a better value.

When I was looking, the biggest competitor to my Malvern Auto that I kept seeing was a Hamilton Jazzmaster. But, the MA was just a better deal. I also liked the fact that the company was small enough that I could correspond directly with the owner of the company.

One other thing to be careful of, is watches pretending to be something they are not. There are some companies pretending to sell watches valued in the thousands for a couple hundred plus dollars. These companies in my opinion are using deceptive advertising practices, and I believe most of them use inferior parts, cheaper movements, and not saphire crystal. But these watches will look expensive to the untrained eye. If you find one you like, but aren't sure of, there is a simple test to find out if it is one of these types of watches/companies. Go to timezone.com and post a question about it, and a link to the site you find advertising it. If your post gets deleted as spam or shilling, or you are accused of shilling, the watch is probably not a very legitimate watch. That is what happened to me when I asked about one of those deceptive watches. I guess they just can't believe a newbie could be taken in by one of these. :D

Contrast this to what CW is all about. CW is about service, often personalized service. He (Chris) is not pretending that the MA is worth $1000, just that it is a quality watch for the price. I, and most others on this forum agree with that.

As far as my MA, I purchased it in January 2006, and have loved it. It is my first automatic, and is my daily watch. My Citizen Eco-drive and Seiko Kinetic are relegated to different chores. I keep the citizen on my bathroom counter because a lot of light hits it, and that helps me keep it charged. The Seiko, well, I wear it every so often to keep it charged. I also have an orange monster I just got a couple months ago, and it is a different story. I like it a lot, but I still don't wear it daily (ok, I did the first week). You can look back through some of my posts where I was tracking how accurate my MA was, and mine has been excellent. I guess I just got lucky because I would say mine has been more accurate than most of the others I have seen reported.

Lastly, here is a link to my site where I show mine:

http://www.rattz.com/publicportal/Hobbi ... fault.aspx

Good luck!
Zarcod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Zarcod »

Thanks for all the fine info. I agree with joerattz about the service part. Any questions I had about the watch were promply and honestly answered by head honcho Chris himself. That being said and considering price vs value I placed an order and received my Aviator yesterday. Even with all the great photos posted around, the watch looks even better in person - especially the movement through the exhibition back. As I wrote to Chris:

Chris,
I got my watch in the mail yesterday. I hope you got your money. You may as well spend it because you won't be getting this watch back in 60 days. As I wrote to you in my first email, I scoured the internet for a mechanical watch with a sapphire crystal. The ones I found were over (and mostly way over) what I was willing to pay. Besides, I didn't like the looks of most of them. All that changed when I found your website. You make a very fine product at a reasonable price.
I will enjoy wearing this watch for a long, long time.

Thanks,
Zarcod
joerattz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by joerattz »

Zarcod wrote:Chris,
I got my watch in the mail yesterday.
Congrats on the new watch! I am anxiously awaiting for my serial number to become available on the Aviator. I hope I can hold out. :D
C5SWT (#316), C5AKS (#316/1936), C5AWS (#789/1936), C6-ForumLE (#3/100), C6SYS (#347), C6-T3LE (#130/300), C6SWS (#601), C3SKS (#1204)

Pro LINQ: Language Integrated Query in C# 2008 : http://www.amazon.com/dp/1590597893?tag=netsplore-20