Speck of dust on underside of crystal...?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Speck of dust on underside of crystal...?

Post by ajax87 »

How does this happen?

Fairly new C65 super compressor (bought new from CW and received exactly 2 months ago). Worn it maybe 20-30 times since then. I know for a fact this wasn’t there just yesterday, since I like to keep it clean and rub smudges out of the crystal after every wear with a soft cleaning cloth.

Never opened the case back, have only unscrewed the crown to set it a couple times. How is there a speck of dust on the underside of the crystal all the sudden?

I know for sure it’s not a chip or anything on the outside of the crystal. This is a speck of dust, clinging to the underside of the crystal. And not a small one. It doesn’t look like it could squeeze past any gaskets on the crowns.

Pic below. I’m going to contact CW about it. Just thought it was strange; has anyone else experienced this?

656E72FD-00F1-451C-AA40-33568EA75D2B.jpeg
Alex
C5A Mk1|C60 Sapphire, Abyss, GMT|C65 SC, 316L LE|C63 Auto|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster mk40|Speedmaster racing|Hamilton Intramatic chrono|Shinola Runwell auto|Tissot|Timex|RZE Endeavor
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Re: Speck of dust on underside of crystal...?

Post by jkbarnes »

That is indeed strange! And I can’t imagine how something like that could have found its way in. That suggests to me that it was already there and has only now become obvious. Does it move around as you tip and tilt the watch? That would drive me nuts. I’ll be curious to hear how CW responds. Good luck!
Andrew
“I can't stand it to think my life is going so fast and I'm not really living it.”

C65 Trident Vintage
C65 AM GT LE

Find me on Instagram @jkbarnes
Or follow my photography on Instagram @jkbarnesphotos
rkovars
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by rkovars »

It was in there all along just hidden and not noticeable. Could have even been stuck on the back side of the hands.
Current CW = C65 Trident Vintage GMT, C65 Dartmouth, C60 Trident Ombré COSC LE, C65 Super Compressor

In Review:

2 More CW's on the short list! (This is pretty much a lie - I have at least 17 CW Tabs open at the moment!)
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by ajax87 »

jkbarnes wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:50 pm That is indeed strange! And I can’t imagine how something like that could have found its way in. That suggests to me that it was already there and has only now become obvious. Does it move around as you tip and tilt the watch? That would drive me nuts. I’ll be curious to hear how CW responds. Good luck!
It drives me crazy now that I noticed it! It does not move when I tip the watch around or shake it very lightly. I’m not about to go tapping or shaking vigorously.
Alex
C5A Mk1|C60 Sapphire, Abyss, GMT|C65 SC, 316L LE|C63 Auto|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster mk40|Speedmaster racing|Hamilton Intramatic chrono|Shinola Runwell auto|Tissot|Timex|RZE Endeavor
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by ajax87 »

rkovars wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:58 pm It was in there all along just hidden and not noticeable. Could have even been stuck on the back side of the hands.
I hadn’t thought of that. Sounds most likely! It doesn’t look like finishing that came off the dial or hands, so maybe it is a speck that made its way in during assembly that was hidden but found it’s way out now.

I’ll update when I hear back from CW. Seems like such a small thing, but my eyes are drawn immediately to it every time I look at the watch now.
Alex
rkovars
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by rkovars »

Definitely one of those things you can't unsee once seen.
Current CW = C65 Trident Vintage GMT, C65 Dartmouth, C60 Trident Ombré COSC LE, C65 Super Compressor

In Review:

2 More CW's on the short list! (This is pretty much a lie - I have at least 17 CW Tabs open at the moment!)
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

rkovars wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:58 pm ...Could have even been stuck on the back side of the hands.
That was my exact thought.
Andrew
“I can't stand it to think my life is going so fast and I'm not really living it.”

C65 Trident Vintage
C65 AM GT LE

JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

There seems to be a shadow over the Christopher Ward as well, but that's probably just a trick of the light.
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by ajax87 »

JAFO wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:39 pm There seems to be a shadow over the Christopher Ward as well, but that's probably just a trick of the light.
That’s the reflection of the apple from the back of my iPhone :lol:
Alex
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 21

Post by MiniMpi »

Sorry to hear this.
I had a speck of dust under the crystal on my C60 Elite GMT, also some light scratching.
They replaced the crystal and cleaned the dial.
All good now.
It was a nearly new watch though.
I hope you get it sorted soon.
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by ajax87 »

MiniMpi wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:59 pm Sorry to hear this.
I had a speck of dust under the crystal on my C60 Elite GMT, also some light scratching.
They replaced the crystal and cleaned the dial.
All good now.
It was a nearly new watch though.
I hope you get it sorted soon.
Thanks, Ferg. Good to hear yours went off without a hitch. I’m assuming it’ll be simple and CW will take care of it!

I’ve taken the movement/dial out of a cheaper quartz watch to clean off the underside of the crystal, and I think I could with this watch, but I’ll just allow CW to take care of it. This watch is a bit expensive to play around with like that.
Alex
rkovars
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by rkovars »

Plus I am not 100% sure how the compressor spring changes things.

In Review:

H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

There is going to be some backlog when CW's workshops open again...

So sorry to hear about what is such an annoying discovery. It would drive me crazy also, so sympathy.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by ajax87 »

rkovars wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:36 pm Plus I am not 100% sure how the compressor spring changes things.
Great point, I didn’t think of that either. Yup, not touching this movement with a 10 foot pole.
Alex
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

H0rati0 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:52 pm There is going to be some backlog when CW's workshops open again...

So sorry to hear about what is such an annoying discovery. It would drive me crazy also, so sympathy.
Perhaps in this situation, given the workshop is closed, maybe they’ll just replace it with another one. I think that’s what I would push for.
Andrew

C65 Trident Vintage
C65 AM GT LE