Special Edition - Rule of thumb?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
DISJT
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Special Edition - Rule of thumb?

Post by DISJT »

So a slightly lively debate in another thread raised a few questions about special edition watches with specific associations to a car/ regiment /plane etc.

I'm curious on peoples thoughts.

I personally think the best-looking watches on the CW website at the moment are the Morgan C1 plus 8 and the Aero 8. Now both are out of my comfortable price range but I'd happily wear both despite have absolutely zero interest in Morgan cars.

I don't own a GT40 but the CW GT40 is a beautiful watch I'd dearly love to own.

So where's the cut off for the association, or lack of, with regards to purchasing watches? Do people draw the line at Military watches? I've never flown a Harrier / Spitfire / Typhoon but did go to Fairford airshow last year.

I've never been in the military but do like the C60 35 Engineer Regiment Edition mainly for the regiment logo. Is this a step too far?
If I wore one, would I be accused of "Stolen Valour"?

Also interested if there's a cultural difference in peoples attitudes. "Stolen Valour" isn't a thing in the UK that I know of? Probably because we didn't have a Vietnam to leave us with struggling veterans. (having a NHS probably plays a part to)

Thoughts?
CHRIS
sproughton
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Re: Special Edition - Rule of thumb?

Post by sproughton »

My rules when buying a watch:

a) do I like it?
b) can I afford it

I've yet to be interested by watches with bits of something famous in it and that's probably because I've no interest in the bit that is famous. If someone released a watch with a part of Ian Botham's bat from Headingley in 1981 or the ball that Jim Laker took 19 wickets with, I'd be first in line.
DISJT
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by DISJT »

sproughton wrote:My rules when buying a watch:

a) do I like it?
b) can I afford it
Pretty much my thoughts to. :thumbup:
CHRIS
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

a) do I like it?
b) can I afford it

I've yet to be interested by watches with bits of something famous in it and that's probably because I've no interest in the bit that is famous. If someone released a watch with a part of Ian Botham's bat from Headingley in 1981 or the ball that Jim Laker took 19 wickets with, I'd be first in line.
This all sums it up for me to. I think I’d just add that, containing something I was interested in, wouldn’t nessessarily be enough. I’d still have to like the look of it. For example, I love dogs but couldn’t own a Pug!
Steve.
nigelb001
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by nigelb001 »

Here's an example that's relevant to me. In 1960 the Aston Martin DB4 GT Zagato was released. As a racing car it did not do too well with just a few minor successes and not many were sold, just 19 out of a planned 25. Two cars in particular have historical importance with registration numbers 1 VEV and 2 VEV. In the late sixties and early 70's I saw 2 VEV several times at various club racing meetings and was amazed at how beautiful the car was. Sometime in the mid 90's I saw it again at the Goodwood Festival of Speed hillclimb and since then I have collected memorabilia about the two cars, books, magazine articles (including the latest issue of Octane) and other such stuff. 2 VEV in now said to be valued at £15 million so any thoughts of ownership is a complete and utter figment of my imagination. :lol: But we can dream.

Fast forward quite a few years and Christopher Ward releases a tribute to 1 VEV using parts of a damaged aluminium panel shaped into a steering wheel and inset behind the rear crystal. I did get excited by this until I saw the price but couldn't bring myself to buy one due to lack of the necessary funds. It was right up my street really due to my obsession but was not to be. Its release was greeted by much derision from certain quarters on here with many comments on the 'stupid, overpriced, scrap metal watches' which to me showed a complete ignorance of understanding what things can mean to other people and to a certain extent, insulting to the people who, for whatever reason are attracted to these limited editions. This has raised it's head in another recent thread here.

Sproughton's rules above are spot on but I would also add

c) does it mean anything special to me?
d) sod what anyone else thinks!
CW C7 Rapide / Breitling Top Time + Superocean / Laco Memmingen
Tissot PRS516 Auto + PRS516 Chrono / Seiko Padi Turtle
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

^^^Love this. Very well put.
Steve.
DISJT
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by DISJT »

I must admit there was a kick starter, not so long ago, selling watches with part of a space shuttle booster rocket used. I was very tempted just for the talking point/uniqueness. It wasn't nearly as expensive as the CW versions though. In the end, I didn't buy because I just didn't like the design enough and that outweighed the whole rocket bit.

This may of been the company..
https://www.werenbach.ch/en/
CHRIS
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

@nigelb001 - agreed, spot on. Very well put Nigel and I wish you well that, one day, you will be able to get a CW '1 VEV' tribute watch.

For my two pence worth, I feel the OP's question splits into two categories;-

1. Tribute watches - watches with a story behind them and, perhaps, with a piece of metal, currently from TM-B Art, within the watch.

If you like it and it is financially viable, then why not get it. The buyer doesn't need to have an association per se with the watch / 'piece of metal'.

Personally, I have always been in awe of Concorde. My Father was fortunate enough to fly in one, as a passenger, on a test flight piloted by Brian Trubshaw. Its just an awesome aircraft, plus from what I've seen of the watch I like the model / design. I'd really like to get one.

2. Organisation / Regimental / Squadron etc. watches.

Being ex-Military I believe the wearer should have an affinity / association, even if tenuous, with the Organisation / Regiment etc. shown on the watch.

Just my thoughts.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by StrapMeister »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote:Personally, I have always been in awe of Concorde. My Father was fortunate enough to fly in one, as a passenger, on a test flight piloted by Brian Trubshaw. Its just an awesome aircraft, plus from what I've seen of the watch I like the model / design. I'd really like to get one.
How bl**dy weird is that :shock:
My father designed the fuel pumps (system) for Concorde.
He was also lucky enough to go on a test flight as a passenger.

My brother has a framed photograph that was taken of the aircraft with it signed by, iirc, the pilot, co-pilot and navigator.
I have the commerative gold cufflinks and tie bar.

Now if I could find the aforementioned watch...
So I guess that would fall under the category - c) does it mean anything special to me?
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

I like the idea of the Concorde tribute watch as my uncle was an aeronautical engineer and was involved in the design of Concorde. Something to do with the engines/thrust directing vanes? I think?
Steve.
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

I own a couple of Omega moon watches.

Haven’t been to the moon in years.... :wink: :grin:
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

gaf1958 wrote:I own a couple of Omega moon watches.

Haven’t been to the moon in years.... :wink: :grin:
People often say to me UFO. I reckon that allows me to wear a Moonwatch? :lol:
Steve.
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Richard D »

As I said on the other thread, I’m beyond caring what anyone thinks of my collection including my special editions. Each watch means something to me, especially the attached memories.
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Richard D wrote:...Each watch means something to me, especially the attached memories.
That's the only thing that matters.
Drew
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

a) do I like it?
b) can I afford it

That sums it up perfectly.

Some of the special editions have appealed to me in terms of looks or the history, but the bit of metal held no interest. But that's just me. It's not to say the CW won't produce something in the future that will completely grab my attention and my wallet.
Drew