Something you should know

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
A1soknownas
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Re: Something you should know

Post by A1soknownas »

rc51owner wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:13 pm I don't get why you think I shouldn't have to worry about paying the duty? It has to be paid and I know this when I buy goods overseas. It isn't a "surprise" unless you are ignorant of the process of importing goods from other countries. Why should CW have to know the duty for all the countries of the world?

Cheers,

M
According to published figures for accounts until mid 2022, International Sales and particularly the US was their biggest growing Market. For two years running combined sales outside of the UK have been greater than within, and account for over 60% of their turnover.

Whilst it may not be their responsibility to solve the duties problem for every customer, it is certainly in their interest to provide a solution. Mike France did mention becoming one of the first company websites in the world to be able to calculate duties and local taxes at the point of purchase for the customer but this was scheduled for September 2020 and never happened for some reason. I expect it will happen if possible and if others are doing it, for an online only company at some point it will become essential.
These users thanked the author A1soknownas for the post:
rkovars
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

rc51owner wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:58 pm Being ignorant that you have to pay duty on imported goods isn't CW's problem. It is the buyers responsibility to pay to import something. I certainly hope that CW doesn't start pricing things inclusive of duty, because what I might pay for duty to Canada will certainly be different than what someone elsewhere in the world might have to pay. I, as an importer, am also responsible for sales taxes on goods I bring in. Obviously some items are assessed duty and taxes at different rates.

Cheers,

M
The import duty is something that can be figured out via the sales software at the time of the sale. CW already has it in place, in parts. For US buyers many states charge sales tax with each state’s laws being different. In New York State where I am sales tax even varies at the county level; a buyer in New York City pays 10.25% while I pay 8.25% and someone not even 10 miles from me but in yet another county is paying 6.875% sales tax. US duties for US customers could be included at check out. And if a customer is not in the US, but in Canada, then Canadian import taxes could be charged at checkout (and any Provincial taxes as well). Same could be done for any other country’s buyers.
These users thanked the author thomcat00 for the post:
rkovars
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

CW have had value as part of their brand from the beginning. This has served them well for a long time. As Leon O said that value was seldom challenged directly but there have been a lot of comments about how much money people should pay for a CW. We see this on this forum too. Comments like "I would never pay that for a CW..." are still fairly common. The C60 graphite was an absolute bargain but I wonder how often we will see such bargains again in the future.
These users thanked the author albionphoto for the post:
tikkathree
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
NationOfLaws
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by NationOfLaws »

Did the new customer code go away as well? Someone in the subreddit is asking and said WELCOME didn’t work for them.
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

^^^^ CW cancelled the 'Military' MOD10 code a couple of months ago.

I wouldn't be surprised if they also cancelled the WELCOME code around the same time.

Both codes were widely known and therefore open to misuse.

Guy

Sent from my XPERIA 5 III using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Bahnstormer_vRS for the post:
tikkathree
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
NationOfLaws
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by NationOfLaws »

Got it, thanks
These users thanked the author NationOfLaws for the post:
Bahnstormer_vRS
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

albionphoto wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:59 pm CW have had value as part of their brand from the beginning. This has served them well for a long time. As Leon O said that value was seldom challenged directly but there have been a lot of comments about how much money people should pay for a CW. We see this on this forum too. Comments like "I would never pay that for a CW..." are still fairly common. The C60 graphite was an absolute bargain but I wonder how often we will see such bargains again in the future.
Well among recent offers, the graphite was a bargain. The atoll was a bargain. The sunrise (that I didn't even see) was a bargain. The Bel Canto was not inexpensive, but clearly many regarded that as a bargain. I'm sure there will be many great deals to be had in the future. :D
These users thanked the author JAFO for the post:
tikkathree
supermariner

Post by supermariner »

Thank you for the explanation. As someone new to the brand I appreciate transparent and fair pricing policy.

Unfortunately it's a quite common practice in the industry to have a boosted tag price and offer discount to anyone who might ask. I don't know if this is done to cater to people's vanity but it's clearly unnecessary with most CW customers.
New Watcher

Post by New Watcher »

This is too bad. I bought my first CW during the first month of the pandemic. Was the most expensive watch I had ever purchased. (The voucher nudged me toward making the buy.)

My second CW (which overtook the previous watch as the most expensive watch I ever purchased) came at the end of the year - with the Black Friday sale.

I’m just one person. But the CW discount made this level of watch still expensive, but slightly more accessible. I hope eliminating the vouchers don’t make their watches out of reach for others getting into the hobby - or who just want a nice looking watch.
Y Cymro

Post by Y Cymro »

I joined here today to find out more about the c63 Sealander before purchasing one. I was aware of the £100 discount and Welcome vouchers which I planned to use to lessen the amount needed to purchase.
Having found out that these discounts are no longer available (and having tried both Loupe and Welcome codes on the items in my basket this morning) Ive cooled off from purchasing and decided to spread my search elsewhere, particularly as Longines has some great looking watches for sale currently.
I’ll take a look at the CW website occasionally, and keep an eye out for the sales too, as like most people, I like a bargain.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

^^^ The C63 is still excellent value at MRP.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
jkbarnes
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Viognier »

Y Cymro wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:26 pm I joined here today to find out more about the c63 Sealander before purchasing one. I was aware of the £100 discount and Welcome vouchers which I planned to use to lessen the amount needed to purchase.
Having found out that these discounts are no longer available (and having tried both Loupe and Welcome codes on the items in my basket this morning) Ive cooled off from purchasing and decided to spread my search elsewhere, particularly as Longines has some great looking watches for sale currently.
I’ll take a look at the CW website occasionally, and keep an eye out for the sales too, as like most people, I like a bargain.
CW still is exceptional value for money, including when compared to Longines and Certina (which I also doubt offer a welcome discount or a voucher).

Might I suggest exploring the pre-owned marketplaces for a C63 Sealander, including chrono24.
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by rkovars »

Viognier wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:55 pm
Y Cymro wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:26 pm I joined here today to find out more about the c63 Sealander before purchasing one. I was aware of the £100 discount and Welcome vouchers which I planned to use to lessen the amount needed to purchase.
CW still is exceptional value for money, including when compared to Longines and Certina (which I also doubt offer a welcome discount or a voucher).

Might I suggest exploring the pre-owned marketplaces for a C63 Sealander, including chrono24.
In the US it is pretty easy to find Longines at 20-30% of RRP. Although to be fair they start at a higher RRP than CW. Certina is a little trickier as they are not pushed as heavily in the US. Just a quick look at Jomashop has a load of Certina for 30% off.
These users thanked the author rkovars for the post:
Viognier
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
velveta
CW-watches: 1

Post by velveta »

I think we should be happy that CW still hasn't raised the price - as many watch companies already did it recently. So no any additional coupons / vouchers is pretty fair solution here. Also as mentioned above - there are some small LE batches available for competitive prices (need some luck and patience here).
Volfan615

Post by Volfan615 »

Add me as another potential customer that's cooled off on a purchase after learning the $125 codes are no longer available. Just watched a Youtube review today of the C60 Trident 300 and thy specifically mentioned usage of the code. I had the white dial in my cart and have now removed it while I reconsider.