Some thoughts on timekeeping. (drivel)

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Paul Drawmer
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 7

Some thoughts on timekeeping. (drivel)

Post by Paul Drawmer »

Now I realise that the whole point of a timepiece is that it should keep time. However; examination of the performance of a particular watch can highlight inconstancy and inaccuracy which can lead to fear and apprehension in the observer.

As a way of mitigating these unfortunate symptoms, may I suggest the following course of action.

1. Buy plenty of watches.
2. Do not get a winder for the automatics.
3. Wear them in a daily rotation.

In this way, each time you return to a watch, it will be run down. It will need the care and attention you give it by re-setting the date/time, and giving it a wind.

Since the only time to actually check the setting of a watch is from a stop, you never find out how much it varies over the day.

In this way you get to examine each watch in the collection on a regular basis (note that for Kip regular might only mean once a year!) , and relieve yourself of stress brought on by worries about performance.

Problem solved.
There's always time for one more.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: Some thoughts on timekeeping. (drivel)

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Not really drivel, Paul. There is something in what you say. The more watches I collect, the less frequently I wear any particular watch, the less I worry about it being completely spot-on. If it points to the right minute after a day, I'm fine.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Berkshire

Post by Berkshire »

I agree with Steve, it's not drivel. You have described my habits and my collection. :D
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

Paul, that makes perfect sense to me. :)
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
Fnew
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by Fnew »

I agree completely. I do use a winder though and I have just come to accept that my autos are going to need to be adjusted when I put them on.
Fred

C60 COSC, Orient Mako XL, Raymond Weil Traditions Auto, Daniel JeanRichard Grand TV, Vintage Omega Seamaster, Baume & Mercier Riveria Auto, Citizen Eco Drive, 121 Time Custom Chrono, Invicta Speedway, vintage Seiko Business A, the one I built
theaub
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by theaub »

Spot on, in my opinion. I stopped using my watch winder and eventually sold it because I found it easier to let the watches run down and their accuracy was better than when they were on the winder. Now I have fewer watches and tend to wear one for considerable periods, I find the accuracy is much better.
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by magicman »

I imagine a watch winder is very useful for watches that need a bit of setting up, say a moonphase or similar.
But i like the whole process of re-powering/setting a watch, although i do just shake mine gently rather than wind it, is that incorrect ?

Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
Helix Von Smelix
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 108

Post by Helix Von Smelix »

Are you MAD!! :shock:

Its like keeping plates spinning on sticks :D
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

Because I have my watches on rotation they always run down. I enjoy the whole resetting the time and date and winding. It something that I enjoy, getting some life into them again ;)
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

I absolutely agree with you Paul. I check the timekeeping on all my watches when I buy them, to make sure they are running ok and don't require regulating or service, and to get an idea of which watches are less accurate if I wear them for more than a couple of days. After that I don't bother setting them to the second. I set them to the minute and put them on. Good enough for me. I do check timekeeping occasionally as a 'health check', but that's it. By doing this I identified one of my vintages watches recently as in need of service, when it went from -40 seconds/day to -90.
I think the turning point for me was buying the Magrette Bronze, which didn't have a second hand. It helped me realize that to the second accuracy was mostly irrelevant. Very cathartic.
Having said all that, I still really enjoyed seeing my new-to-me Seamaster maintain -2 seconds over the first 24 hours, so I'm not completely cured.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
Amor Vincit Omnia

Interesting notion about the lack of seconds hand being cathartic. Makes me want to try a single hander!
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
holyk
Guru
Guru

Post by holyk »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:Not really drivel, Paul. There is something in what you say. The more watches I collect, the less frequently I wear any particular watch, the less I worry about it being completely spot-on. If it points to the right minute after a day, I'm fine.
I agree with this completely. I find I don't even bother checking the seconds variation anymore which I used to check zealously when my watch collection was smaller.
malvern_man
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by malvern_man »

I always let my autos run down, and, rightly or wrongly I also pull the crowns out on my quartz ones.

Chris.
CWL - C60 Trident Pro ~ Orange Bezel - C60-TRI-SKCSI
CWL - C60 Trident Pro 600 ~ C60-42-AUTO-SKRT
CWL - C11 Makaira Pro 500 ~ C11-MAK-SKOSI
CWL - C11 Titanium Extreme 1000 Limited Edition ~ C11-COSC-EXT-TKV-SI
Amor Vincit Omnia

When I was 18 I got my first quartz digital and got a **** from my Dad for ringing the speaking clock about 5 times a day to check if my watch was right!
Steve

Senior
Senior

Post by 38911 »

malvern_man wrote:I always let my autos run down, and, rightly or wrongly I also pull the crowns out on my quartz ones.

Chris.
I might be wrong, but I'm sure someone once told me that leaving the crown out for long periods of time was a bad idea as the seal is 'open' potentially letting moisture in the air inside the watch.
---
Rolex Submariner 14060
Tudor Heritage Black Bay Red
Seiko FlightMaster
Tissot 1853