Discuss Christopher Ward watches
widge34
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes

Sellita SW200

Post by widge34 »

Do many of you that have a watch with the Sellita SW200 movement, have the spinning rotor issue that seems to plague this movement?
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Re: Sellita SW200

Post by ajax87 »

When you consider the sheer number of these movements out there, and consider that people will only complain when something is wrong and not conversely note every time everything is right, I wouldn’t categorize this anywhere near a plague.

I have 4 (maybe 5, not sure about 1) with the sw200, never had an issue with any of them.
Alex
C5A Mk1|C60 Sapphire, Abyss, GMT|C65 SC, 316L LE|C63 Auto|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster mk40|Speedmaster racing|Hamilton Intramatic chrono|Shinola Runwell auto|Tissot|Timex|RZE Endeavor
widge34
Guru
Guru

Post by widge34 »

ajax87 wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:30 pm When you consider the sheer number of these movements out there, and consider that people will only complain when something is wrong and not conversely note every time everything is right, I wouldn’t categorize this anywhere near a plague.

I have 4 (maybe 5, not sure about 1) with the sw200, never had an issue with any of them.

Fair comment. Suppose i might have been unlucky with my first auto movement purchase in a five years. The Alpina alpiner i bought not only had the spinning rotor, but the bezel didny line up either.
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by ajax87 »

widge34 wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:46 pm
ajax87 wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:30 pm When you consider the sheer number of these movements out there, and consider that people will only complain when something is wrong and not conversely note every time everything is right, I wouldn’t categorize this anywhere near a plague.

Fair comment. Suppose i might have been unlucky with my first auto movement purchase in a five years. The Alpina alpiner i bought not only had the spinning rotor, but the bezel didny line up either.
Just my 2 cents, I could be wrong. Someone posed a question in another thread about whether sellita sends these fully set up to the various brands that use them, or do the brands have to assemble/oil/regulate them when they place them in their watches? This could have something to do with it as someone a little more knowledgeable said that too much or too little oil or the wrong kind of oil can cause this issue.

No doubt the issue is out there, I’m just of the opinion that it’s a smaller issue than the people who unfortunately experience it believe it to be.

Of course the first time it happens to me I could change my tune!
Alex
C5A Mk1|C60 Sapphire, Abyss, GMT|C65 SC, 316L LE|C63 Auto|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster mk40|Speedmaster racing|Hamilton Intramatic chrono|Shinola Runwell auto|Tissot|Timex|RZE Endeavor
Laird
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 66

Post by Laird »

5 of my CWs with Sellita 200 Movements went 'home' to fix that problem during early to mid 2020 - given the Lockdown situation I was impressed that they turned them round in 2 months or less.
|C70s|C7 BB, IRR, BRG, RC, Hornet, Valjoux|C3 GT|C4 Phoenix|C40 SpeedHawk|C5 BoB, Aviator|C8 Pilots*3, UTC & AD|C60 316L Y, O, B, GMT, DD Valjoux|C65 316LE,Classic LE, DT LE, 2VEV|C1 WT|C9 Pulse, JH2, AMGT, SSH21|C11 HRDC & Makaira|
widge34
Guru
Guru

Post by widge34 »

Laird wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:04 pm 5 of my CWs with Sellita 200 Movements went 'home' to fix that problem during early to mid 2020 - given the Lockdown situation I was impressed that they turned them round in 2 months or less.
Surely that is very unlucky to send 5 back?

Wouldnt this issue be checked for before shipping watch out?
Macdaz
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 11

Post by Macdaz »

widge34 wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:26 pm Wouldnt this issue be checked for before shipping watch out?
It may well be, but that may not help. Fortunately, I have only had the issue on one of mine with this movement. It was fine when it arrived, and it started after a couple of months. I solved it with the short-sharp-wind method.
SMP|Victorinox Groundforce|Mako/XL|Steinhart OVM|Smiths Everest|C60 Trident 600|C3Malvern|Seiko Recraft|C8 Pilot Mk2|Vostok 1965|Laco Aachen|C8 Flyer Mk1|Seiko Monster|C7 Rapide|Steinhart Aviation|C65 GMT|C9 AM GT LE|C60 Bronze|C8 Al Deere|C65 SC|C63 GMT
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

I’ve not had the issue once with any of my Sellitta’s over 8 years
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Viognier »

I’ve owned 8 watches all with the Sellita SW200 movement . Each one has performed flawlessly.

Including the C60 that’s on my wrist again today.

“Plagued this movement “ seems an over the top generalization as well IMO......unless you have access to Seliita’s movement repair rate?

ETA, as well, has reports of the occasional spinning rotor issue.
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
Jcalder68
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by Jcalder68 »

Hello,
I’ve had a dozen or more watches with the SW200 movement and I can’t remember any of them having the spinning rotor issue.

However, I did once own a Tudor watch with their version of the ETA2824 movement, and this little sod spun like a helicopter!
One watch, one user, one movement is definitely no proof, but I’ve had better experience from Sellita movements than their equivalents.

Keep safe,
C
CW Watches (To Date): C65 Trident Vintage MK2, C65 Sandhurst, C65 Dartmouth, C60 Pro 300, C60 Pro 600 Vintage, C65 GMT.
Others (To Date): Sinn 104, Seiko SNA411, G-Shock, Seiko SKX007
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12

Post by nbg »

widge34 wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:26 pm
Laird wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:04 pm 5 of my CWs with Sellita 200 Movements went 'home' to fix that problem during early to mid 2020 - given the Lockdown situation I was impressed that they turned them round in 2 months or less.
Surely that is very unlucky to send 5 back?

Wouldnt this issue be checked for before shipping watch out?
Depends on a number of factors.

However if you mean is there a basic way for a watchmaker to check for “spinning rotor syndrome” before casing the movement?

The answer is yes.

But you need to take into account that time is money.

(This isn’t a CW specific comment).

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
PGP_77

Post by PGP_77 »

Hi there, has anyone else experienced a loud knocking from the rotor with these movements?

I’m guessing it’s the spinning rotor issue as I’m sure I can feel it move when winding. I’ve hit a returns bag now so I’ll send it in this week for repair. Such as Shane as the rest the f the watch is superb!
Leon O
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 7

Post by Leon O »

I have problem with automatic movements in general; that's why I now favor quartz watches. I do, however, have a couple mechanicals. Over the past 2 years I'm 0 for 5 with autos. The SW200 in my Limes was erratic. Fortunately, I was able to have the movement replaced under warranty. Even so, it is sitting unloved in the watch box next to a Seiko Samurai that also had its movement replaced.
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Richard D »

I own several watches with the Sellita SW200 movement and have never experienced any problems. The only movement in my collection that has repeatedly failed me has been the ETA 2893-2. I guess I was unlucky.
Richard

You’ve got enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life. – Eminem
mcb2007
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 101

Post by mcb2007 »

I had to send back a cranwell after two weeks with the rotor issue they inspected said no fault found ,after another look replaced the watch with another. QC must be non existent as the replacement is worse than the original , they also fitted the old strap to the new watch and its full of marks this strap was taken off when I first got the watch and never worn .QC my anal passage .
I am nameless I am shameless, I can be the purist soul with evil as my goal, I can be the story untold.