Sealander GMT - Questions About The Crown

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Internaut
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 2

Sealander GMT - Questions About The Crown

Post by Internaut »

So, wearing the Sealander GMT for the first time and very nice it is though I do have some reservations over operation and whether I'm doing it right (full disclosure - I can be a clumsy bugger). Now, the crown:

I can unscrew it and get to position 2 (manual wind), so good there. Likewise, it seems I can pull out to position 3, set the GMT and date. Time setting is equally easy. However, if I push carefully from position 4 to position 3 (or does it go all the way to 2), nothing? Came as a bit of a surprise. For watches with date complications, I always found it a bit easier to pull all the way (time setting) and push carefully back in. Just wondering if there's anything wrong with my new buy (though pulling out the crown one position at a time does seem very easy with this watch compared to some others I've owned).
Watches? Beat up Swatch Irony I bought in the 90s, C5 Malvern (the original), Swiss Military Swiss Soldier Quartz, Seagull 1963, Swatch Blurang, CW Sealander GMT, Motorola 360 (broke), Huawei Sports 2 (broke), Fitbit Charge 5. Festina 8810.
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Re: Sealander GMT - Questions About The Crown

Post by rkovars »

The ETA and Sellita GMT movements I have all tend to go all the way to the wind position when going from time setting (4 to 2 in the CW manual).

I usually just set the time push it all the way in then back out to set the date and GMT hand.

You were probably not quite to 3 when nothing happened. It can be tricky to find the right spot at times.
These users thanked the author rkovars for the post:
Internaut
"The cure for anything is salt water - tears, sweat and the sea."
Isak Dinesen

Current CW = C65 Trident GMT, C65 Dartmouth, C60 Trident Ombré COSC LE, C65 Super Compressor
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 3

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I don’t think there’s anything to worry about. Different movements can behave a little differently. I also find that this movement has a tendency to go back to the winding position.

I must say it’s a really smooth movement to wind, and easy to screw the crown back in. Add in the 52 hour power reserves, the smooth precise action when changing the GMT hand, and the general timekeeping, and it really is a joy.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post (total 2):
KevinBInternaut
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; wannabe travel writer

Walk a while in others' shoes...

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time
Internaut
Junior
Junior

Post by Internaut »

Thanks to you both for putting my mind at ease. I seem to have a thing for blue, at the moment (blue face, blue tide strap) and it is a lovely piece.
Watches? Beat up Swatch Irony I bought in the 90s, C5 Malvern (the original), Swiss Military Swiss Soldier Quartz, Seagull 1963, Swatch Blurang, CW Sealander GMT, Motorola 360 (broke), Huawei Sports 2 (broke), Fitbit Charge 5. Festina 8810.
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

Nothing to worry about. My Glycine GMT does this as well, where it sometimes lands in a dead spot, for lack of a better word, when trying to move the crown from time setting to date/GMT setting. As rkovars said, I just move the crown back from time setting to winding position, and then to the date /GMT position.
These users thanked the author Lavaine for the post:
Internaut
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
Leon O
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 8

Post by Leon O »

I often have difficulty getting to the date position and find the crown goes straight to the 3rd position. It usually takes at least a couple attempts. What works best for me is to put my fingernails under the crown in position one and then pull as slowly as I can.

Then I have to remember which way to rotate the crown to change the date :?
These users thanked the author Leon O for the post:
albionphoto
C7 Rapide Quartz, C60 Pro 300 Chronograph Quartz, C3 Malvern Chronograph, C7 Rapide Chronograph Quartz, C65 AM GT LE, C7 Rapide Chrongraph LE, C65 Trident Diver HW, C5 Malvern 595
Internaut
Junior
Junior

Post by Internaut »

Leon O wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 2:07 am I often have difficulty getting to the date position and find the crown goes straight to the 3rd position. It usually takes at least a couple attempts. What works best for me is to put my fingernails under the crown in position one and then pull as slowly as I can.

Then I have to remember which way to rotate the crown to change the date :?
Getting Position 2 is something I have gotten better at. Twice now I have accidentally moved the GMT when I meant to set the date.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 3

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Internaut wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:42 am Twice now I have accidentally moved the GMT when I meant to set the date.
Please concentrate, that boy at the back! :klugscheisser:
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
albionphoto
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; wannabe travel writer

Walk a while in others' shoes...

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time