Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Russ-Shettle
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Re: "SAVED" by my C700!

Post by Russ-Shettle »

castle wrote:
xtriple wrote:used the chrono once to time my sexual performance.... the 1/10second timer was the most useful part :oops:
You just need to strap it on a bit tighter. :lol:
Now what chrono can measure down to 1/10 second? Anyway, are you sure it took that long? :lol:
Russ-Shettle
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Russ-Shettle »

CeeBee wrote:I use my C40 to time how long it takes to cycle to places, thereby increasing the chance of arriving at the correct time in future. I start the chrono when I set off. Unfortunately I have yet to remember to look at it or stop it when I arrive :-(
I've done that several times, forget... Then I think.. what the heck did I even care, I'm just playing with my watch and that's all there is to it. I really try not to use it often, in fact, I'd say I hardly use it at all accept to exercise it a bit once in a while. I know for sure that the 12 hour dial never made one full turn while timing out something. The longest was 2.5 hours or about that.
Russ-Shettle
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Russ-Shettle »

androo wrote:Don't think I have ever used the chrono to time things. Normally when I time something in minutes or seconds I will use the normal hands. I have used the tachymeter on my C40 though
You mean; you've timed something under one minute? I guess...
Russ-Shettle
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Russ-Shettle »

Lavaine wrote:Like Russ I frequently use my chronos for cooking. I find that dive bezels also work well for cooking, when 'to the closest minute' is good enough.

Also, we are now expecting a tutorial on how to build an espresso machine at home. Surely our resident Knight doesn't use a store-bought machine?
Can't wait to see those illustrated instructions!
Russ-Shettle
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Russ-Shettle »

atnits wrote:On my Speedbird PRS12 I've been timing anything that lasts up to 59 seconds. Any longer than that is no good, as the seconds hand either stops, or stutters its way to the 60 second spot. :thumbdown: (That'll teach me for getting it serviced!)
I think I know what may be causing that and it should be a simple fix. Send it in.
28800bph
"Asylum Knight of the Diver"

Post by 28800bph »

Lavaine wrote:Also, we are now expecting a tutorial on how to build an espresso machine at home. Surely our resident Knight doesn't use a store-bought machine?
Funny you should say that, I am in the process of designing an espresso machine and hope to have one built by the end of this year. It incorporates a unique positive displacement pump technology. Also, it has a design twist for controlling temperature uniformity at the grouphead.

One project is lined up first though -- a watch winder, a little different than anything I've seen out on the market. More to come on that.

For now, I use my Rancilio for espresso.
Russ-Shettle
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Russ-Shettle »

28800bph wrote:
Lavaine wrote:Also, we are now expecting a tutorial on how to build an espresso machine at home. Surely our resident Knight doesn't use a store-bought machine?
Funny you should say that, I am in the process of designing an espresso machine and hope to have one built by the end of this year. It incorporates a unique positive displacement pump technology. Also, it has a design twist for controlling temperature uniformity at the grouphead.

One project is lined up first though -- a watch winder, a little different than anything I've seen out on the market. More to come on that.

For now, I use my Rancilio for espresso.
Actually, I would be very interested to know exactly what is espresso? don't get me wrong. I've had one before. I'm asking about the design of the it. How is it done? What's going on? What's the concept behind it. Interested, really. Layman's description...please.
28800bph
"Asylum Knight of the Diver"

Post by 28800bph »

Here's my quick summary of espresso: A small set of people get crazy about espresso like some of us get crazy about watches. There are even online forums like home-barista.com and coffeegeek.com. I don't have time for those as I'm over here.

To me, Starbucks espresso tastes burnt and over roasted. I'd prefer a good cup of drip coffee, or tone down their espresso by adding milk as in a latte. It's hard to find good straight espresso unless you make it at home or have a good roaster nearby. Intelligentsia and Mad Cap are my favorites in the area.

Unlike drip coffee, it's a faster extraction, usually brewed in under 30 seconds. That's possible because the grounds are smaller than for drip coffee. It gives a different flavor profile than other brewing methods, and a thicker consistency.

The quality of the bean is important: variety of the coffee plant, the growing climate, and farming techniques. Then roasting plays a big factor. It's best to enjoy espresso 4-14 days after roasting. Too soon and the volatile flavors are too intense. Wait too long and the flavors are gone or oxidize into a bitter mess.

Also the quality of the espresso shot depends on the extraction technique. First the grinding has to be very uniform particle size, and the grinding cannot burn the coffee with heat of friction. The espresso should be made within a few minutes of grinding or the intense flavors will disappear. The espresso machine has one job to do: push hot water through a compressed puck of coffee grounds. The best machines have highly uniform temperature (usually close to 200degF), at a constant pressure (usually 9 bar), for an appropriate residence time (~25 seconds). That results in about 1 fluid oz of espresso.

Hope that helps as some "cliff notes" for espresso.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 3

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
I knew you wouldn't let us down, Sir!! :thumbup:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; wannabe travel writer

Walk a while in others' shoes...

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time
Russ-Shettle
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Russ-Shettle »

I'm a big coffee lover and drinker and now I'm interested in checking this out. Thanks. You explained it very well. :clap:
xtriple
Forum gobshite
CW-watches: 3

Post by xtriple »

I feel exactly the same about my Nescafe as Sir does about his "proper" coffee. :lol:
CW C3 CWS, C13 GWT, 2012 FLE. Tag Heuer. Citizen. Tissot Tudor. Breitling Colt + SuperOcean. Orient SK. Deep Blue. Seiko X2. Steinhart Ocean 1. Timex X3. MuDu. Longines. Yema. Omega Speedmaster +Seamaster SMP. Roamer. Sully. Bulova. Ingersol.
Mortis
Forum Menace
Forum Menace
CW-watches: 12
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes

Post by Mortis »

Come on forum, I think this is a challenge - what else can we make Sir 28800bph build?! :lol:
Every time someone suggests something it seems that he is already making one... And then follows up with pics and instructions. Have you thought of building a COSC tester yet, Sir? Or a brewery?!
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

Mortis wrote:Come on forum, I think this is a challenge - what else can we make Sir 28800bph build?! :lol:
Every time someone suggests something it seems that he is already making one... And then follows up with pics and instructions. Have you thought of building a COSC tester yet, Sir? Or a brewery?!
I'd quite like a teleportation device, as I'm a bit sick of jumping on airplanes every week of my life.

I have to be in Germany by tomorrow evening Mr 28800, so I'll leave it with you. After all, how hard can it be? :)
Richard
CeeBee
Senior
Senior

Post by CeeBee »

Kip wrote:
CeeBee wrote:I start the chrono when I set off. Unfortunately I have yet to remember to look at it or stop it when I arrive :-(
I have tried using the chrono to time many things ...usually have the same issue...forget to stop it. :problem:
Kip and I are applying to be time-keepers at London 2012 Olympics...

"Sorry - was I supposed to stop this thing when the runner broke the tape? Can they run again and I'll try to remember this time..."

:-)
androo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes

Post by androo »

CeeBee wrote:
Kip wrote:
CeeBee wrote:I start the chrono when I set off. Unfortunately I have yet to remember to look at it or stop it when I arrive :-(
I have tried using the chrono to time many things ...usually have the same issue...forget to stop it. :problem:
Kip and I are applying to be time-keepers at London 2012 Olympics...

"Sorry - was I supposed to stop this thing when the runner broke the tape? Can they run again and I'll try to remember this time..."

:-)
I had a really bad problem with a knee when I was younger so couldn't run. One day I was entrusted to be a time keeper. I forgot to start the stopwatch so made up a time, it made the person i was timing the fastest in the school and suprised the Olympic team didn't come looking for him. :silent: