Sandhurst or Dartmouth? If you could only have one

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
dennisbible

Sandhurst or Dartmouth? If you could only have one

Post by dennisbible »

Which and why? I like both but had isn't an option now. Convince me.
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 3

Re: Sandhurst or Dartmouth? If you could only have one

Post by magicman »

I'm not a fan of vintage hands/lume.
So personally I prefer the Blue Dartmouth.
That said I actually bought the Lympstone as I found the whole thing more to my taste.

Regards steve
Molan
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 10

Post by Molan »

Personally I've always thought the Sandhurst looks a little 'generic' in design. It has the the C65 case which is probably my favourite ever CW case design but I just find it a bit uninspiring.

The Dartmouth, especially in blue, stands out a bit more and feels like a more interesting design.

Depends on whether you're looking for something simple and functional or with a bit of colour pop (assuming the blue is even an option for you).
About 6 Christopher Wards, Omega, Halios, Breitling, Bremont, Rado, Heuer, Oris, Nomos, Seiko etc.
rkovars
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by rkovars »

2 completely different watches so that is tough. They are both good watches though. I think it would boil down to whether or not you want a diver or a field style watch.
Current CW = C65 Trident Vintage GMT, C65 Dartmouth, C60 Trident Ombré COSC LE, C65 Super Compressor

In Review:

2 More CW's on the short list! (This is pretty much a lie - I have at least 17 CW Tabs open at the moment!)
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Richard D »

I first saw both watches at the CW GTG in London on the 31st August 2019. My eye went straight to the Dartmouth and my liking hasn’t changed.
Richard

You’ve got enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life. – Eminem
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

I'm not a fan of the Sandhurst at all. Somehow it looks like a basic watch to me (apols, I know some people love it and good for them!). The Dartmouth has character and is fabulously comfortable.
cincfleet
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 8

Post by cincfleet »

This is an easy one for me. The Blue Dartmouth on the Blue Canvas strap, I am bias though as 30 years spent in the RN man and boy :lol:
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12

Post by nbg »

Richard D wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:00 pm I first saw both watches at the CW GTG in London on the 31st August 2019. My eye went straight to the Dartmouth and my liking hasn’t changed.
I also tried them on at the same GTG - same outcome.

Ended up buying one about 6 months later.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 21

Post by MiniMpi »

A major factor in deciding between the two is of course the size difference, 38mm with the Sandhurst and 41mm with the Dartmouth.
I love the design of the Dartmouth and once I also saw it released at the CW GTG in London I had to get one.
It's a keeper in my collection.
exHowfener
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

Well I would go for the Sandhurst. Partly because I just like the design but really because I was in the Army not the Navy!

However if that doesn't apply to you then you won't be convinced by my reasoning :lol:

Seriously I think it comes down to asking if you want a dive watch or not. If you do, the Sandhurst won''t do. If you don't then the Dartmouth isn't the one.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

Sandhurst for me. I like the simplicity.

The Dartmouth is a bit too busy for me with all the minute marks on the dial and bezel.
Ryan
JasperCat
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Post by JasperCat »

I like both, but prefer the Dartmouth, as I love the 41mm C65 cases size and style :thumbup:

However, I bought neither… instead I got the Cranwell, which I adore... but again, being ex RAF and a graduate of RAFC Cranwell, there could be only one choice :D

C93BF066-FCFB-4CC8-A2EB-7F4BB7872D9F.jpeg
C65 - SH21 LE, SH21 Bronze LE, Cranwell, Chronograph, Super Compressor, Black Gold, AM 2 VEV SE
C60 - Elite GMT 1000, Concept (incoming), CWE Chronometer (incoming)
C8 - Power Reserve
C5 - FLE
C1 - Grand Malvern 5 Day
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 3

Post by Thegreyman »

I too tried them on at the London gtg and found the Dartmouth to my liking. I bought one last summer and it has probably been my most worn watch since then. Looks great on the bracelet and I also have the CW blue hybrid and a recently arrived Barton Elite Silicon for it too, very versatile watch.
Patrick

C60 FLE Scooter Blue, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife)

Some others + a few on the way
cincfleet
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 8

Post by cincfleet »

JasperCat wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:01 pm I like both, but prefer the Dartmouth, as I love the 41mm C65 cases size and style :thumbup:

However, I bought neither… instead I got the Cranwell, which I adore... but again, being ex RAF and a graduate of RAFC Cranwell, there could be only one choice :D

C93BF066-FCFB-4CC8-A2EB-7F4BB7872D9F.jpeg
I do like the Cranwell, and appreciate the 'Junior Service' history. I look out to Cranwell, and the signal tower, from the back garden. I am lucky watching the Grob Trainers in formation flying over on passing out day, and then I realise i have been deeper under the sea 8) :lol: Dartmouth for me please :lol: :thumbup:
Jcalder68
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by Jcalder68 »

I own both.
My Sandhurst was a gift from family for a birthday. For that reason it is very special to me and will never leave my collection.
My Dartmouth is also a bit unique - it was one of a handful that was accidentally built with a bezel insert that does not have the vintage lume. From what I understand, all but one other of this batch were returned for an insert replacement, so my “accident” version is one of only two in the world. For this reason it is very special to me and will never leave my collection.
So, that is me keeping both…
On the other hand, if I was to buy again, from scratch and with no emotional attachment, I’d go for the Sandhurst. It would be close, but for my smaller wrist, the Dartmouth is pretty much at the limit of size, but the Sandhurst wears easily. In addition, I feel that with a simple strap/bracelet swap, the Sandhurst can dress up better than the Dartmouth while both can dress down equally well.
I hope this does not make the waters more muddy and helps with your decision,
Keep safe,

C
CW Watches (To Date): C65 Trident Vintage MK2, C65 Sandhurst, C65 Dartmouth, C60 Pro 300, C60 Pro 600 Vintage, C65 GMT.
Others (To Date): Sinn 104, Seiko SNA411, G-Shock, Seiko SKX007