Sale notifications experiences and confusion

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
alanrolfe01
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 20

Sale notifications experiences and confusion

Post by alanrolfe01 »

Over the last few years the communication emails from CW about the sales and discounts have been inconsistent to say the least.

Yesterday, the sale notification email arrived 6 hours after the sale had started so the "good stuff" had gone.

At least I was notified this time, unlike the previous two sales!!

The email only needs to travel 120 miles, by road, to get to my IP address.

As for the allocation of links. Why does a .UK email address, for a UK based client ALWAYS get links to the US Dollar pricing pages and offers rather than the Sterling one?

Is it just me or do other Forum Members have similar experiences?
Stif
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 1

Re: Sale notifications experiences and confusion

Post by Stif »

Can't comment on this as it's my first sale (and like you I got the email several hours after I'd already made a purchase) but it's maybe worth sharing a little knowledge of how these bulk emails can work.

When a company fires out a bulk of emails, they risk triggering spam filters with both internet ISPs and email providers (such as gmail) - due to this email systems may often send communications out in batches (so rather than sending 100,000 straight away, they might send a max of 10,000 an hour over a day) - if they do this it can be a pain in the behind to get back off these lists, and it can lead to future comms not arriving with their customers at all.

Because of this if a company like CW want's to start their sale at 12pm, the emails might be triggered to go out no earlier, but may take several hours to reach all customers.

On this basis, I'd suggest not relying on the email being the first source of knowledge of the sales - better to keep an eye on a forum like this or a Facebook group, looking out for the first "THERE'S A SALE!!" posts :)
- Grant

"There is nothing so useless as doing efficiently, that which should not be done at all."
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 5

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

To address the last question first, my email certainly directed me to the site with prices in sterling.

As regards the other issues, we have obviously been aware of them for some time. It’s not really anything that the Forum Admin Team has any control over. Suffice to say that we know about it, it affects us as individuals just as much as it affects any other member, and we are very keen to discuss it with them again at the first opportunity.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post (total 3):
alanrolfe01thomcat00Viognier
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; wannabe travel writer

Walk a while in others' shoes...

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time
alanrolfe01
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 20

Post by alanrolfe01 »

That doesn't explain the occassions when there's no email at all despite being on the mailing list. when minutes count when chasing a bargain.

I do check on here and I am a member of both the CWE and CWA Facebook groups but I shouldn't need to rely on second hand information that I should also have received first hand.
welshlad
CW-watches: 14

Post by welshlad »

Bear in mind that for most of yesterday afternoon the Sale wasn't formally live. People were accessing items via the "back door" before emails landed. Once emails went out, it seemed to go fairly smoothly and not much had disappeared during the afternoon, as far as I could see.

As per the Revival Model preview earlier in the week, it seems that CW need to get better at preparing these webpages in a secure unpublished area before releasing them to the public all at once when the Go button is pressed.
These users thanked the author welshlad for the post (total 2):
StrapMeisterViognier
CW C3 | C5 Revival | C60 Ombre | C60 #tide | C63 Auto | C63 Elite | C63 GMT | C65 Chrono | C65 SuperC | C65 SH21 | C70 | C8 | C8PR | C15
Omega Speedy | AT8500 | AT2500 | PO Ti Rolex Exp | Sub Zenith EP1969 Others Various
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

I do not know why they consistently get it so wrong. It seems every release, sale, preview either gets 'leaked' by CW or someone close to CW. Release dates for new products are always ignored and we see it 24hrs earlier than told and now it seems the past few things on the CW website have been cracked by Bob from Wolverhampton sitting in his pants cracking the CW enigma code on his Commodore 64.
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Bretling Aerospace Evo, Vinatge Azur, Vintage dressy Seiko & SBGX059
sproughton
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by sproughton »

My first purchase in a CW sale was in 2013. Exactly the same thing happened then - went 'live' before it was official, and as far as I can tell the same thing has happened with almost all sales since.

Ultimately CW sell the watches so I doubt they're particularly worried about getting it right.
These users thanked the author sproughton for the post:
golfjunky
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 5

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

golfjunky wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:24 pm ..and now it seems the past few things on the CW website have been cracked by Bob from Wolverhampton sitting in his pants cracking the CW enigma code on his Commodore 64.
Sorry, I have to disagree.

It was Vernon from Kidsgrove in his lime green mankini using a ZX Spectrum. He doesn’t get out much.

As Welshlad says above, our hands are tied. We faithfully relay what we are asked to relay, and withhold what we are asked to withhold. But they need to make the pages Bob proof or Vernon proof while they are constructing them.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
golfjunky
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; wannabe travel writer

Walk a while in others' shoes...

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time
KMW
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 18

Post by KMW »

Maybe the 'back door' is known and allowed on purpose? Might stop all the flippers getting hold of the watches and putting them on eBay 5 minutes later - I'm sure CW are aware that they'll be people on here and the various FB groups that will find the sale items before they've officially notified their mailing list. Or they might just not have great IT support, who knows :lol:
These users thanked the author KMW for the post:
cwa
C60 Concept/C60 Elite (Black)/C7 Prototype/C60 CWE & CWEC #03
C5 Malvern Revival/C7 Rosso Corsa/C9 5 Day/C8 P2725/C11 Makaira Elite
C60 Mk2 Chrono/Acan/Orange/Black
C600 TriTech (Blue)/2 x C65 Super Compressor/C65 Bronze Ombré
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:37 pm
golfjunky wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:24 pm ..and now it seems the past few things on the CW website have been cracked by Bob from Wolverhampton sitting in his pants cracking the CW enigma code on his Commodore 64.
Sorry, I have to disagree.

It was Vernon from Kidsgrove in his lime green mankini using a ZX Spectrum. He doesn’t get out much.

As Welshlad says above, our hands are tied. We faithfully relay what we are asked to relay, and withhold what we are asked to withhold. But they need to make the pages Bob proof or Vernon proof while they are constructing them.
Is it a new thing for CW then, this website malarkey? I'll get my coat! :D :escape:
A1soknownas
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by A1soknownas »

Official email came through for me at 19:28.

Whether CW could do something about a leak or site showing items I'm not sure but if someone wants to spend their life trying to monitor changes to the site or crack some kind of code in their pants it is up to them I guess.

The leak yesterday may have worked in the favour of 'proper' fans perhaps. Although scalpers are amongst us (you know who you are!) the fact that someone had to be actively engaging the forum/FB to be aware rather than the lottety email to anyone who may have signed up ever may mean that it was more targeted by circumstance and not design.

I've received emails for most sales but haven't for a couple.

Hope you might see what you are after pop up again :thumbup: or you might be able to buy from one of the forum scalpers on ebay or Ward hoard as a back up! :thumbdown: :silent: :lol:
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 3

Post by Thegreyman »

One point I would make is that the website used to be very slow and sometimes inaccessible during the sale due to volume of traffic etc.

Those days are gone and at least we are able to browse all the sale watches without any such issues so that is a step forward.
These users thanked the author Thegreyman for the post (total 4):
audio.billJasperCatcwaViognier
Patrick

C60 FLE Scooter Blue, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife)

Some others + a few on the way
Stif
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 1

Post by Stif »

Got to be honest, as my first CW sale experience, and after hearing the horror stories, I thought this looked like it went absolutely fine! Communications were sent, the website handled the load without crashing - seems to be how things are meant to run.

I'd be interested to know if the website and comms are managed in-house by CW, or if they're sub-contracted areas - if they're not in-house then the way it's run looks fairly 'as expected' to me!

As mentioned above, it's not a straightforward job to get potentially tens of thousands of emails out to customers quickly, and in fact in doing any kind of bulk email send (likely using third party software) it's also not too surprising to have a small number go missing, there are numerous reasons why that could happen that are likely difficult to identify let alone fix, especially if management of this kind of thing is outsourced.

Hell, it's probably the kind of problem that frankly isn't worth addressing - if the company generates enough interest to sell their stock, and the natural staggering of the emails spreads out the load on their servers allowing them to stay up and running for the sale, then from a business point of view they've done well! At an individual level it can be frustrating, but there''s no real entitlement to buying something in a sale,.
- Grant

"There is nothing so useless as doing efficiently, that which should not be done at all."
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

Thegreyman wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:45 pm One point I would make is that the website used to be very slow and sometimes inaccessible during the sale due to volume of traffic etc.

Those days are gone and at least we are able to browse all the sale watches without any such issues so that is a step forward.
A good point well made by somebody who has experienced how it used to be. :thumbup: :clap:
These users thanked the author Mikkei4 for the post (total 3):
golfjunkyThegreymansuicidal_orange
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by timor54 »

Stif wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:50 pm
I'd be interested to know if the website and comms are managed in-house by CW, or if they're sub-contracted areas - if they're not in-house then the way it's run looks fairly 'as expected' to me!
Thegreyman wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:45 pm One point I would make is that the website used to be very slow and sometimes inaccessible during the sale due to volume of traffic etc.

They're hosted. the .com and .co.uk images appear to be somewhere in the USA, in the Newark area? Seem to be owned/managed by Squarespace and behind a network security wall from Cloudfare. It's impossible to find their exact location but basically they'll be load managed virtual servers so they'll behave well whatever the load, as has been observed recently.

Management of the actual content is a different matter. That's probably done internally by CW and is only as good as their internal processes, or lack off!
These users thanked the author timor54 for the post:
Stif
Tim