Returns from outside the UK

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
nordwulf

Returns from outside the UK

Post by nordwulf »

Is it just me or is the return process a bit confusing when you're outside the UK? You have to 'purchase' the Returns product for $0 and then just send it to the address provided. Last time I returned a watch from the US, they sent me a returns pack for the UK anyways..

With internet orders from most companies, you can go to your account page and select the order/item you want to return. And print a shipping label at the same time.

Do I need an RMA number? Is there a form I can include to let them know the reason for the return? How do they know I want a refund or replacement? Do I have to insure the shipment for the full amount? Do I need to send them a shipment receipt for the return shipping refund? How long will it take?

For an internet-only company, their current return process could be improved upon.
For returns from outside the UK
'Purchase' this product, then please return the item via your national postal service to the below address, ensuring you use a trackable service.
We will then refund the account including your postage costs on receipt of the item.
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Re: Returns from outside the UK

Post by Thermexman »

Ha ha, you almost had me. I was about to answer your questions and then I re-read the post...

nordwulf wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:36 am Last time I returned a watch from the US, they sent me a returns pack for the UK anyways..
As you've done this before, I guess you have the answers.

The UK franked bag is pointless outside these borders I'll grant you but it serves to give you a secure bag and a pre-written address. (don't you just hate writing address labels?)

There is a form included too.

oops. Silly me! you know all this, as this is a rhetorical post. :lol:

Good points though. The explaination on the website could be more detailed! :thumbup:
Steve.
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by FloridaPhil »

CW said during the last chat that this is something they are looking into to try to improve the process. Can't come soon enough. It's a confusing mess if you haven't done it before. From here in the USA, the US Postal Service is, in my opinion, an utterly useless option since they can't insure the package all the way through to the final destination because it contains jewelry!

I always send my watches back by Fedex but am lucky in that I get a significant business discount. I would have thought that CW could negotiate a discount of their own with Fedex or UPS etc.
WatchChat on Facebook
The friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

I think I read the UK return bag is too small for the new CW boxes? I usually process any shipments online so a bag with a pre-written address is not much use. And it can take 2 weeks before the returns bag and form is received in the US.

I sent them an email and they emailed the returns form. Not sure why they don't just make this available for download on their website? Or make an online form you can fill out, generate a returns number, print the form and include with the shipment.
Non UK
For international returns we recommend returning your watch through your national postal service. Please ensure this is a trackable service and that you do not make any mention of the word ‘return’ on the outside of the package, simply stating the contents on any customs declaration, eg ‘wristwatch’. If the contents of your return package are over £1500 GBP please contact returns@christopherward.co.uk for advice on any customs declaration.
They didn't answer my questions about insurance or how to submit the receipt for shipping cost.
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

FloridaPhil wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:39 pm CW said during the last chat that this is something they are looking into to try to improve the process. Can't come soon enough. It's a confusing mess if you haven't done it before. From here in the USA, the US Postal Service is, in my opinion, an utterly useless option since they can't insure the package all the way through to the final destination because it contains jewelry!

I always send my watches back by Fedex but am lucky in that I get a significant business discount. I would have thought that CW could negotiate a discount of their own with Fedex or UPS etc.
I didn't know USPS can't insure the package all the way through. So if the package goes missing between the US and CW, will they still give the refund? With a $1000 watch, that's a bit scary..

I tried to upload the form to this thread but pdf files are not allowed. So I made the form available here in case anyone needs it: http://horology.world/forums/topic/53-i ... or-refund/
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by FloridaPhil »

It's all very confusing Frank. The USPS staff gave out conflicting information depending on which office I tried to ship the package from. I spent forever on the USPS website trying to determine their policy and never got to a conclusion. So I use Fedex.
WatchChat on Facebook
The friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Just filling in the form and sending it with watch, to arrive at CW unexpectedly, is not the best way.

If you complete the online 'repair request' on CW's website it starts their process and allows them to have an initial communication with the customer about the problem / requirements perhaps getting further information (remember that a number of customers will not be as knowledgeable about what they want as we, forum members, might be) and start their process, allocating a repair / order number etc.

Always best to follow any Company's 'system'.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by FloridaPhil »

I'd echo that guy. I've always corresponded with Customer Services by email first and then followed their suggestions.
WatchChat on Facebook
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:06 pm Just filling in the form and sending it with watch, to arrive at CW unexpectedly, is not the best way.

If you complete the online 'repair request' on CW's website it starts their process and allows them to have an initial communication with the customer about the problem / requirements perhaps getting further information (remember that a number of customers will not be as knowledgeable about what they want as we, forum members, might be) and start their process, allocating a repair / order number etc.

Always best to follow any Company's 'system'.

Guy

This is about returns within 60 days and not sending a watch for service/repair. They don't have an online form to start a return. You have to 'purchase' the Returns product for $0 and then nothing happens besides receiving an order confirmation for the 60:60 Returns order. No instructions or anything else.

https://www.christopherward.com/return-60
Bahnstormer_vRS

Well, of course, if you are just returning the watch because, you don't like it, bought two to return one or whatever that is different, but I still advocate one should follow the system.

Guy

nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

Follow what system? There is none for 60:60 returns. Did you read this thread at all?

I checked some prices and USPS seems to be the only reasonable option.

USPS Priority Mail International: $64 (GBP 50)
Fedex International Economy: $158 (GBP 122)
UPS Worldwide Expedited: $166 (GBP 128)

The USPS won't even let me add insurance so I'll just use the $200 included insurance and hope for the best.
Bahnstormer_vRS

@nordwulf - Yes, I've been reading this thread Frank.

From the link you posted, I give you 'The System'.

Just do 'exactly what it says on the tin'.

Following on, if you feel there is an alternative way of doing it CW are always looking to receive Customer Feedback. Perhaps you could email your comments / suggestions to them.

Guy

nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

I did exactly what it said but there is not enough information. Hopefully someone at CW is reading this thread and read the suggestions and comments from customers. I am sure they get 100's if not 1000's of returns yearly and their current process doesn't appear to be very efficient.
Bahnstormer_vRS

nordwulf wrote:I did exactly what it said but there is not enough information. Hopefully someone at CW is reading this thread and read the suggestions and comments from customers. I am sure they get 100's if not 1000's of returns yearly and their current process doesn't appear to be very efficient.
Seems perfectly clear me.

Of course your suggested number of returns is pure speculation. Isn't it?

Guy

mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by mvlow »

nordwulf wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:13 pm
This is about returns within 60 days and not sending a watch for service/repair. They don't have an online form to start a return. You have to 'purchase' the Returns product for $0 and then nothing happens besides receiving an order confirmation for the 60:60 Returns order. No instructions or anything else.

https://www.christopherward.com/return-60
When I returned a watch from the USA under 60/60, I completed the purchase online for the return and thought nothing had happened as I received the email thanking me for my purchase with no additional instructions. I was a little confused at first and went ahead and mailed it USPS priority mail with a note in the box. The day after I mailed it, I received another email from CW with the 60/60 returns form attached, so basically I had jumped the gun by about a day. If I had waited one more day before mailing it, I would have received the form and all would have worked as expected. By completing the online purchase, it generated them emailing me the form. I emailed CW and explained I had already mailed the watch and all was well. They let me know when it arrived and I received my refund quickly.
Screen Shot 2018-10-22 at 9.26.14 AM.png
Malcolm

CW C60 Vintage Hamilton Khaki Field Sinn 104 CW C65 Vintage GMT Monta Oceanking Elliot Brown Holton