Jape
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Removing scratches?

Post by Jape »

Hi guys!

Made a wee mistake today, and ended up scratching the case of my C11. :(

The pic is rather bad, taken with my phone, but you can see the marks. Can these be easily removed and if so, how? Cape Cod? Fibreglass pen?

Advice much appreciated, I'm gutted by my own idiocy for having damaged my lovely so. :shock:

(And maybe I should've posted this in the Off Topic area...)
C7 Rapide C11 Auto C600 Tri-Tech C2 Lido C40 Speedhawk C60 600 Sinn 857 Sinn 103St Sinn U1 Omega Seamaster Pro 300
Wants are many but funds scarce.
castle
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Re: Removing scratches?

Post by castle »

Don't panic. I haven't handled a C11 but that looks like a brushed rather than blasted finish in which case it should be possible to get rid of or at least improve the scratch. Don't use Cape Cod on this finish, but your idea of a fibreglass pen sounds good. Lots of experience online on using scotchbrite as well. Make sure you work gently and in the same direction as the brushing already there. You might want to practise on an old watch first to get a hang of what you are doing.
CW-C8 MKI
Steinhart Nav B-Chrono II
Citizen -"Orca" and 1976 chrono.
Seiko-"Spork", "Stargate II", "Blumo", 009 mod.
Zeno 300m army diver
Revue Thommen Airspeed chrono
Junkers Bauhaus.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 147
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Don't panic...crap happens. Your watch now has character! :)

Here are a couple threads you may find helpful for improvement.

http://christopherwardforum.com/viewtop ... val#p99971

http://christopherwardforum.com/viewtop ... val#p62455

Most important...have patience during the process.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Jape
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Jape »

Cheers, Castle and Kip! :)

Next step is to acquire a fibreglass pen, and may have to locate those patches (Halford or scotch-brite) as well. Not sure if I can find them here in Finland, though.

And Kip, you're right about the character! The first mark is always bad, though, but when you get used to it, well... I'm also not probably going to sell the piece so no bother there.
C7 Rapide C11 Auto C600 Tri-Tech C2 Lido C40 Speedhawk C60 600 Sinn 857 Sinn 103St Sinn U1 Omega Seamaster Pro 300
castle
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by castle »

There is nothing magical about scotchbrite- it is a nylon based scrubber for saucepans, there's bound to be something similar in Finland.
CW-C8 MKI
Steinhart Nav B-Chrono II
Citizen -"Orca" and 1976 chrono.
Seiko-"Spork", "Stargate II", "Blumo", 009 mod.
Zeno 300m army diver
Revue Thommen Airspeed chrono
Junkers Bauhaus.
Jape
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Jape »

castle wrote:There is nothing magical about scotchbrite- it is a nylon based scrubber for saucepans, there's bound to be something similar in Finland.
You're right, obviously. Will have to hit the local shops.

JAG, indeed, maybe have to place a few orders soonish.

Ta, guys! :D
Jape
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Jape »

Jape wrote:
castle wrote:There is nothing magical about scotchbrite- it is a nylon based scrubber for saucepans, there's bound to be something similar in Finland.
You're right, obviously. Will have to hit the local shops.

JAG, indeed, maybe have to place a few orders soonish. Might be easier to find on amazon.

Ta, guys! :D
Peteo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
LE-fourb: yes

Post by Peteo »

Jape wrote:Cheers, Castle and Kip! :)

Next step is to acquire a fibreglass pen, and may have to locate those patches (Halford or scotch-brite) as well. Not sure if I can find them here in Finland, though.

And Kip, you're right about the character! The first mark is always bad, though, but when you get used to it, well... I'm also not probably going to sell the piece so no bother there.
Good luck all the same! Sometimes character is nice, but so is quieting OCD :lol:
Peteo
CWs: C70US #702, 2009FLE #34, C65 S. Compressor
Non-CWs: AL&S 1815 A. Calendar, BREMONT Solo, CASIO G-Shock, GRAND SEIKO SBGA415 & SBGJ251, OMEGA Speedmaster Racing, SINN EZM13 & 103AB, TOWSON WATCH CO. C20 Chrono, TUDOR Black Bay Blue
Jape
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Jape »

Peteo, you're right there! Most definitely! :D
f1colin
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by f1colin »

Jape - no panic and as others have said, with patience, easily sorted. You will undoubtedly approach it with some trepidation but none needed. Steady hands and patience are a must though
f1colin

Rolex Sub, Oyster, Daytona
Tudor Black Bay, Big Block
Omega Dynamic, Speed, Speed 2, Speed 4.5, SM300
Heuer Monaco, Monza, Daytona, Silverstone, Autavia, Carrera, Calculator, Camaro, Montreal, Audi, Verona, 844, AMI, 1000
Seiko Pogue
Jape
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Jape »

Ok. :thumbup:

Will look into it when have the time. I've had a flu that's kept me away from work for days now (first time in six years on sick leave). :( That means I'm going to be rather busy in the near future...although, it feels the temperature might be on the rise again...damn!

Outside the temp's going down...supposed to be under -20C tomorrow, some parts of the country freezing their **** off in -40C...
julywest
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by julywest »

Jape wrote:Ok. :thumbup:

Will look into it when have the time. I've had a flu that's kept me away from work for days now (first time in six years on sick leave). :( That means I'm going to be rather busy in the near future...although, it feels the temperature might be on the rise again...damn!

Outside the temp's going down...supposed to be under -20C tomorrow, some parts of the country freezing their **** off in -40C...
Not being from Finland what might **** be?

71 F here today
Jape
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Jape »

**** = your manly parts. :) A British English term. I'm on the phone so can't see your location as I type this but based on your using Fahrenheits, must be States. You might say "nuts" instead of ****. :D (oh, yeah, if your question was sarcasm... Fool me.)
mabotham
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by mabotham »

Hilarious.... Sorry .... and **** is not Finish!... Read as testicles....... lol
julywest
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by julywest »

Jape wrote:**** = your manly parts. :) A British English term. I'm on the phone so can't see your location as I type this but based on your using Fahrenheits, must be States. You might say "nuts" instead of ****. :D (oh, yeah, if your question was sarcasm... Fool me.)
Nope was curious.... I take it now you meant "balls" didn't know if it was term for buttocks..
yes states North Carolina to be exact... was too lazy to convert to C