Noisy C700 - what is normal?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
tenjin
CW-watches: 2

Post by tenjin »

Hi,

I just bought my first CW, a C700 Grande Rapide.

I'm very happy with the look and build quality, but I'm uncomfortable with the noise from the winding mechanism, and I'd appreciate any other C700 owner's thoughts.

The watch makes noise when the automatic winder weight spins.

There seems to be two distinct noises:

Firstly, there is the kind of noise one would expect when winding a manual watch (that seems fine), but other times there is a loud raspy noise which is loud enough to hear when wearing the watch (and at arm's length from my ear). This sound is kind of like a metal ball spinning in a tin!

As an example, if i move my arm (say from keyboard to mouse) I get the raspy noise, which goes on until the weight stops spinning.

How do other C700 owners find noise levels with their C700?

Regards

Darren.
Own: C700 Grande Rapide, C9 Harrison Auto
Want: More than I can afford!
Quasar

Post by Quasar »

The movement in the C700 is an ETA 7750 which has a characteristic noise from the rotor of the automatic wind. It is louder than the typical automatic and slightly rasp like. The noise differs depending on the direction of the rotor spin as this movement has a unidirectional wind.
Jape
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Re: Noisy C700 - what is normal?

Post by Jape »

The issue is discussed on many forums, I think. All indeed due to the movement. One thread is here http://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/why-doe ... 39824.html.
C7 Rapide C11 Auto C600 Tri-Tech C2 Lido C40 Speedhawk C60 600 Sinn 857 Sinn 103St Sinn U1 Omega Seamaster Pro 300
Wants are many but funds scarce.
Aifo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8
LE-three: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by Aifo »

Yub! That's the sound of a 7750 we all love. A rugged little beast which would eventually drive you to acquire a more expensive auto chrono movement. If that bothers you, try a unitas 6497, its even louder than the clock next to my bed! Makes you realize why the quartz movement near kills the Swiss watch industry as a whole haha
Incoming: 0
AliBar
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by AliBar »

Perfectly normal. Mine is rasping away at the end of my arm as my fingers fly across the keyboard :)
Alastair.

Double Member of the C80 Owners Club
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 149
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Sounds like it is normal to me.

It is part of the soul of the mechanical...the 7750 is just more vocal than most. 8)
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Russ-Shettle
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by Russ-Shettle »

If my 700 is equally as noisy as yours then you must have super ears like a Hound Dog and I envy you! I have to put my watch right up to my ear to hear what you've just described but it does sound like what you just described. My hearing is a bad though I don't wear hearing aids and get by with that.... what you say?.... never mind, I think it was my wife telling me the house was on fire. Not sure... oh well, I'll just wait until I smell smoke. Where was I? My C700 at arm's length is as quiet as can be. If you feel it's abnormally noisy, send it back for a mechanical check-up. Do not settle on anything but your own inner judgement because whatever you decided to do, you and you alone will have to live with it.
Russ-Shettle
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Russ-Shettle »

Oh and by the way..... I can't hear my watch tick... boo hoo. When I was a kid I use to listen to my watch tick and it would put me to sleep. Now I'm loosing sleep. Really, I can not here it tick and I'd give anything to hear it.

Can you easily hear you watch tick?

Russ
robinbarke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by robinbarke »

Russ-Shettle wrote:Oh and by the way..... I can't hear my watch tick... boo hoo. When I was a kid I use to listen to my watch tick and it would put me to sleep. Now I'm loosing sleep. Really, I can not here it tick and I'd give anything to hear it.

Russ
Don't worry Russ, I think most people have to put a wristwatch up to their ear to hear it tick. In an Asylum there is a lot of hypersensitivity no more so than on here!

Robin
C9GMT C8 Mk 1 C5 Malvern 2011 C9FLE C50 Malvern COSC C60 FLE2012 2013FLE
Oris Big Crown, Hublot, Rolex Datejust, Nomos Tangomat.

See my book, Aynho Junction, in the News section of http://www.robinbarkerphotography.com
jmarchitect
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jmarchitect »

Just to put another slant on this topic, I can hear my 7750 powered Fortis ticking away on the bedside table but don't recall hearing any unusually loud spinning noises whilst wearing it. In fact, the same can be said for most of my autos, as I can hear all of them ticking away if I leave them on the bedside table, except for the miyota powered Junkers. I must still have good hearing eh Russ!
CWS
Junior
Junior

Post by CWS »

First... congratulations on the C700!

When mine suddenly vibrated and went rsh rsh rsh... I thought it was going to explode and was halfway filling out the return form. But reading up on the movement settled my nerves. I can only faintly hear the rotor's reverse spin now - perhaps it's because I've gotten used to it - or perhaps it is more vocal when the watch is brand new (might make sense, as the oils get distributed and the "colliding" parts get worn slightly) ...if it continues to be very distinct at arm's length a week or two from now, that might be an issue - but a faint sound will always be there I reckon. Personally I like the organic character it gives the watch. It makes other watches/movements seem lifeless in comparison somehow.
tenjin

Post by tenjin »

Hi,

Thanks very much to everyone who posted a comment.

You have largely put my mind at rest, and I am encouraged that some many of you have similar experiences.

That said, I am mindful of Russ's comment about listening to your own inner judgement so I have sent the C700 watch back for review / replacement.

It's a lovely watch that I am keen to wear, but as it is my first CW, first automatic winder (and first 7750) I'd be happier to have it checked out.

While waiting for the C700 to be returned I have also bought a C9 Harrison Auto in the sales, and that one is due to arrive next week. Couldn't resist as when I bought the C700 I couldn't decide between it and the C9.

Thanks again,

Darren.
Own: C700 Grande Rapide, C9 Harrison Auto
Want: More than I can afford!
f1colin
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by f1colin »

Good call on the C9 Darren - I am confident that you will be impressed, a very classy piece of kit indeed.

Meantime, please keep us posted on the c700 - I think it is just the Valjoux 7750 as my C40 is the same - love it!
f1colin

Rolex Sub, Oyster, Daytona
Tudor Black Bay, Big Block
Omega Dynamic, Speed, Speed 2, Speed 4.5, SM300
Heuer Monaco, Monza, Daytona, Silverstone, Autavia, Carrera, Calculator, Camaro, Montreal, Audi, Verona, 844, AMI, 1000
Seiko Pogue
Russ-Shettle
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Russ-Shettle »

robinbarke wrote:
Russ-Shettle wrote:Oh and by the way..... I can't hear my watch tick... boo hoo. When I was a kid I use to listen to my watch tick and it would put me to sleep. Now I'm loosing sleep. Really, I can not here it tick and I'd give anything to hear it.

Russ
Don't worry Russ, I think most people have to put a wristwatch up to their ear to hear it tick. In an Asylum there is a lot of hypersensitivity no more so than on here!

Robin
Hey Robin....

You don't suppose that watches are quieter now than in the old days? But then again, my wife has ears like a Deer. She can hear it tick with no problem. My hearing became damaged in the upper frequency range from playing in a rock band years ago.
Russ-Shettle
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Russ-Shettle »

f1colin wrote:Good call on the C9 Darren - I am confident that you will be impressed, a very classy piece of kit indeed.

Meantime, please keep us posted on the c700 - I think it is just the Valjoux 7750 as my C40 is the same - love it!
Well, I've had several automatics now ranging from a cheap chinese chrono, Japan's Seiko 5's and two now CW Swiss made movements, two being the same. They all gave a sound you would describe as not good but apparently OK none the less.