Discuss Christopher Ward watches
neiltallen
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 0

Newbie Intro / Question

Post by neiltallen »

Hi All,

New to this forum, and have been looking at the watches on the CW website fo a while now, stil undecided which one to go for.

Currently own an Omega SMP Mid Size Quartz, and was initially looking at the C5 Malvern Automatic MK II as a second / dress watch.

Then noticed the nicely priced Chronometers, particularily the C50 Malvern Cosc (dress watch), or the C60 Trident Cosc (similar to my OSMP).
When comparinmg the two i noticed that the C50 has a Sellita movement, and the Trident a ETA movement. I wondered if somewone could tell me why different movements have been used in these Chronometer watches (i am not after a comparison of the two movements). Is it because the C50 has a day/date function as opposed to just a date function in the Trident?

Thanks in advance.

Neil
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Re: Newbie Intro / Question

Post by Kip »

Welcome to "The Asylum"!

The reason for the different brand movements comes down to availability at the time of need. Due to the shortage of ETA movements, Sellita was chosen for comparable quality and availability relative to the style/type movement needed. No worries whatsoever with Sellita. Search the forum or the net regarding cutbacks in ETA availability for more detailed info on this matter.

FYI example- The C50 COSC was made in SS with the ETA 2836-2 (200 pieces) and the C50 COSC Gold has the SW220-1 movements.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
neiltallen
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 0

Re: Newbie Intro / Question

Post by neiltallen »

Thanks Kip,

I did read something about ETA not selling outside the Swatch Group - seems a strange desision if you ask me!.

Thanks for answering my question promptly.

Neil