New Watch Box

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
joerattz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

New Watch Box

Post by joerattz »

A couple months ago I decided to stop using a winder (eventually) and to get a nice watch box that was reasonably priced. Coincidentally, just a few weeks ago, since I knew CW was working on some watch boxes, I just happened to ask Chris about them and he gave me a bit of a sneak preview of them. I was going to try to get them posted here, but he got them on his site before I could get them posted here, so I didn't bother.

While the CW boxes are nice, they aren't really what I was wanting. I wanted something to hold a lot of watches and that would look nice on my dresser. The CW boxes just don't hold as many watches as I want, plus I wanted something wood. About a month ago, I spotted some boxes on JTV that caught my fancy, but they were just a bit more than I wanted to spend...until they cut them again last week. So last Wednesday, I bought one. It holds 24 watches and is real wood. The box is finished very beautifully and seems first class. I just coincidenally looked at some at Nieman Marcus last Saturday and didn't see anything as nice, and they were much pricier.

Here it is:

As you can see, the wood is spectacular. Would make a nice dial for the next LE, wouldn't it? I know you are just chomping at the bit to see the inside and my collection, so here it is:

For those interested, here is a list (DKM = don't know model):

Row 1 (top): Yellow Alba LE, Orange Seiko Monster, Black Seiko Monster, Blue CW Forum LE 2008, ...Gold Invicta (DKM).
Row 2 (middle): Yellow CW C6, Orange Seiko Sawtooth, Back CW T3 LE, Blue Seiko Sawtooth, White CW C6...Blue Gruen (DKM), Black Gruen (DKM)
Row 3 (bottom): Gray Titanium Seiko Kinetic (DKM), Titanium Citizen Sailhawk, Titanium Gray Skagen (DKM)...Black CW C3, Black CW C5 Aviator LE, White CW C5 Aviator LE, White CW C5

The box says it accomodates up to 50mm watches. I am not sure it will hold watches quite that big. My Invicta (top right corner, second slot from the right) is a snug fit and it is not 50mm, although I am not quite sure how big it is.

This box only cost $199 US and seems like a good deal. If you are interested, here is a link to this exact box:

http://www.jtvwatches.com/catalog/produ ... e+matchall

And here is a link to several that are similar:

http://www.jtvwatches.com/catalog/searc ... e+matchall
C5SWT (#316), C5AKS (#316/1936), C5AWS (#789/1936), C6-ForumLE (#3/100), C6SYS (#347), C6-T3LE (#130/300), C6SWS (#601), C3SKS (#1204)

Pro LINQ: Language Integrated Query in C# 2008 : http://www.amazon.com/dp/1590597893?tag=netsplore-20
village
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Re: New Watch Box

Post by village »

Just out of idle curiosity, why did you decide to stop using a winder?
Nice box by the way
If you can read this you are too close to your computer screen....
joerattz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by joerattz »

village wrote:Just out of idle curiosity, why did you decide to stop using a winder?
Nice box by the way
A couple of reasons. First, I came to realize that a winder has two choices, it either lets the watch wind completely down, or it keeps the watch overwound. It just isn't possible for a winder to wind a watch exactly as much as it is needed. If it doesn't overwind the watch, this means the watch is less than fully wound, and this means over time, it gets less and less wound until it eventually is not wound and stops. Of course once the winder starts again, the watch gets wound, starts keeping time (but the time is wrong because the watch stopped), and then the watch winds down again and stops. The alternative is for the winder to overwind the watch. This means it is constantly overwinding the watch. I really noticed this when I started changing the time on my automatics, like at the end of the month adjusting the calendar, or the time for daylight savings time. What I would notice is that when I went to screw the crown in, the watch was fully wound. I then thought about it and came to the realization that the winder really can't do anything but overwind the watch.

Also, the winder I had consisted of two pods that each held two watches. On one pod I had my Alba and my orange monster. I put a timer on my winder because someone suggested it would help alleviate some of the overwinding. I think I had it where it was on about half the time. I alternated every other 15 minutes on and off throughout the day. I noticed recently that my monster was losing time and finally realized that I had set the timer strictly enough that the Alba was being kept wound (overwound really), but the monster wasn't getting enough and was coming completely unwound. This is when I realized that a winder can only do one or the other, and for winders where more than one watch is wound at the same time (like mine), it can do both! Underwind (and allow to stop) and overwind.

For those faithfull CW Forum readers, they may recall a post I made several months ago where I decided I would use a winder and not worry about it overwinding. Obviously...my bad. :D

Second, I realized I was mostly wearing the same 4 watches (my winder held 4) because they were the ones on the winder. I decided that I would get a nice box instead, and select an automatic each week, and wear that for the entire week. This way, I only had to set one once each week.

Of course, my winder was a very inexpensive one. You can buy better and more expensive winders and they allow you to control the amount of winding better. But, I still feel that fundamentally, over time, a winder will either underwind (and eventually allow the watch to stop), or overwind.
C5SWT (#316), C5AKS (#316/1936), C5AWS (#789/1936), C6-ForumLE (#3/100), C6SYS (#347), C6-T3LE (#130/300), C6SWS (#601), C3SKS (#1204)

Pro LINQ: Language Integrated Query in C# 2008 : http://www.amazon.com/dp/1590597893?tag=netsplore-20
Monkey
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7
LE-two: yes

Post by Monkey »

Very nice box indeed....love the wood, and nice collection of watches too 8)
John
cstef
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
CW-watches: 5

Post by cstef »

Yes indeed, all's nice: box, watches, presentation...enjoy
Chris
C3SSK,C4SST,C5AKK,C5AWT,C6LE5,
Stowa Seatime Blue, STOWA PRODIVER LIMETTE,
Stowa MO, Steinhart Aviation Automatik; JS Watch-Islandus; Aristo Sextant; Dievas Diver;
Vostok Europe Exp 06;
Rick
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
LE-one: yes

Post by Rick »

Really like that box and a great collection to :D
C5AKS - C7 Rapide - C4IPK - C6T3 - C6 Forum LE - W6 Splash - C8SWT - C70 DBR1
Breitling Hercules - Omega SMP - Boschett Cave Dweller - Seiko Monster - Porsche Design P'6310
Tissot Sea Touch - Oris Pro Diver - Dreyfuss 1925 - Tissot V8 - Deep Blue Pro Sun
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Thanks for the great pics Joe. It looks like a really nice box and seems a good value too. Nice looking collection also.

Regarding your winder issue.....I did a similar thing, as suggested by Russ i think, of putting a timer on the winder. Although I never noticed the problem you had, it was just to much of a pain in the ass to keep changing watches on it all the time. I have an 8 watch winder and now use it once a month. Personally i have to many watches to bother trying to keep them all would so I wind each watch fully once a month as a sort of exercise to keep them lubed. I do periodically put some on the winder to ease the task. I figure a regular program of exercise is better than overwinding constantly and will keep the oil flowing. The winder helps in that it will be constanly changing positions for the watches involved.

When I wish to wear a watch it only takes a minute to set it and jump start it. No big deal.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.